Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's official Graphic Design Guild for all things profiles, logos, graphics and much much more! 

Tags: Graphic, Design, Digital art, Photoshop, Profiles 

Reply The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild
OOH ER! illustrator

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Krystal_digitaliS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:39 am
hey check it out my first try with illustrator! its me back when i had pink streaks.. and it isn't quite finished...User Image  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:57 pm
if i had a good computer id do stuff with it...
hmmmm

hw long did it take?... minus the eyes... xp  

Acis

Kitsunehime

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:54 pm
Looks great so far. 3nodding
What's really neat is that it looks like vector art right now.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:34 pm
Kitsunehime

i know i stupid but what is vector art?  

Krystal_digitaliS

Chisa
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:25 am
Sorry I didn't reply on MSN before, I was away from the computer sweatdrop

Krystal_digitaliS
Kitsunehime

If it was made with Illustrator, then it is vector art. Basically, rastor based programs (like Photoshop, Paintshop, MS Paint) save pictures as pixels (little squares). So when you make a picture bigger or zoom in, you can really see all the pixels. Vector based programs (like Illustrator, Flash, Freehand) save images based on mathematical relatioships. This means that everything is scaleable; you can make a picture as big as you like, and it won't lose any quality.

But some things are just easier to do in Photoshop, and some are easier to do in Illustrator. Different tools for different things.

The picture is not bad for a first attempt biggrin I haven't had a huge amount of experience with Illustrator, but see where you have all the white areas between the different shapes? Instead of trying to make the shapes fit perfectly together, just layer them over each other. Also, what tool are you using for this? I use the Pencil tool, although the Pen tool is supposed to be better (I just can't use it very well yet sweatdrop )  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:52 pm
Chisa
Sorry I didn't reply on MSN before, I was away from the computer sweatdrop

Krystal_digitaliS
Kitsunehime

If it was made with Illustrator, then it is vector art. Basically, rastor based programs (like Photoshop, Paintshop, MS Paint) save pictures as pixels (little squares). So when you make a picture bigger or zoom in, you can really see all the pixels. Vector based programs (like Illustrator, Flash, Freehand) save images based on mathematical relatioships. This means that everything is scaleable; you can make a picture as big as you like, and it won't lose any quality.

But some things are just easier to do in Photoshop, and some are easier to do in Illustrator. Different tools for different things.

The picture is not bad for a first attempt biggrin I haven't had a huge amount of experience with Illustrator, but see where you have all the white areas between the different shapes? Instead of trying to make the shapes fit perfectly together, just layer them over each other. Also, what tool are you using for this? I use the Pencil tool, although the Pen tool is supposed to be better (I just can't use it very well yet sweatdrop )

i used the pen tool >.<  

Krystal_digitaliS

m y o `

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:52 pm

it looks great right now 3nodding except shouldn't the neck be darker than the face?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:26 pm
][ aeri ][

it looks great right now 3nodding except shouldn't the neck be darker than the face?

i think her light source is a little confused. part of it looks like the light source is coming from the bottom left and part of it looks like it's coming from the top right.

it's an excellent job considering it's your first attempt with the pen tool. when i first tried using it i couldn't get it to do what i wanted. now i use it to trace all my scanned artwork. i've gotten more proficient with it than i am inking things by hand... which isn't necessarily a good thing.

the semester ends for me in two weeks, so i'll have a pen tool tutorial out soon.  

Novocain

4,850 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150

Chisa
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:38 am
Novocain
][ aeri ][

i think her light source is a little confused. part of it looks like the light source is coming from the bottom left and part of it looks like it's coming from the top right.

it's an excellent job considering it's your first attempt with the pen tool. when i first tried using it i couldn't get it to do what i wanted. now i use it to trace all my scanned artwork. i've gotten more proficient with it than i am inking things by hand... which isn't necessarily a good thing.

the semester ends for me in two weeks, so i'll have a pen tool tutorial out soon.

It is very good for a first try with a pen tool! When I try it, I draw 2 lines, then get so annoyed with it not going the right way that I end up going back to the pencil stressed Very much looking forward to that tutorial Novocain, I need to figure out how to use it eventually!  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:45 pm
keep up the good work! are you doing this freehand or tracing over a photo or something like that? (i trace photos when i do it)

*just a note for pen tool users that i learned: when you use it, use as few points as you possibly can and curve them. it can reduce those jagged edges where points meet.

K. Ueno

Novocain

4,850 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:47 am
Nyxx
keep up the good work! are you doing this freehand or tracing over a photo or something like that? (i trace photos when i do it)

*just a note for pen tool users that i learned: when you use it, use as few points as you possibly can and curve them. it can reduce those jagged edges where points meet.

a couple more good tips for making your paths look as neat is possible is to use the Smooth tool on jagged areas (each pass over with the tool makes the area progressively smoother while retaining the original shape of the path, though this doesn't always achieve the desired effect), simplifying your paths before you're finished (object>path>simplify, which deletes any anchor points in your object that aren't necessary), and zooming in as much as you need to more easily manipulate the direction points of a specific segment (for people who miss direction/anchor points with their mouse or those who can't tell whether something is perfectly smooth or not, this is a good idea).

i only have one more week of class, so i'll hopefully have my pen tool tutorial out by next weekend  
The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games