Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Door-to-door? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:55 pm
Okay, here's a hypothetical situation: Atheists going door to door like members of some religions do. Could also apply to agnostics, and any member of smaller religions/groups.

Do you think that would ever happen? Consequences? Know anyone who would? Ever heard of it before?  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:03 pm
I've never heard of this happening. I'm sure it probably has. I know people who definitely would. And they would enjoy it a lot. They're the kind of people though who would specifically go to houses where they knew very conservative Christians lived.
I wouldn't do it. I think people would get mad about it, at least where I live. It's a very conservative place. Personally, I don't care about people coming door-to-door, as long as they're willing to take no for an answer and actually leave...And I have had experience with ones who don't want to leave..  

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200

Mechanism

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:58 am
Seems rather pointless to me.
Christians do it because they believe that they're savin' ya from eternal suffering.

Atheists don't really have such motivation.
Could be good for a joke, though.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:30 am
There was a girl I used to talk to who was going to join a church that would have asked her to go door to door. She was thinking about doing it, and probably would have, but I talked her out of it by saying "Imagine instead of selling a religion, you're asking them to change their sexual preference. Would you like it if someone showed up at your door and said 'Excuse me, but are you a homosexual? Have you tried homosexuality? If you haven't then how do you know homosexuality is right for you? If you become a homosexual, endless rewards will await you in the afterlife.'"

She said she would be very offended, and that she'd even call the cops, to which I replied some people feel that way about their religion. Are you sure want to upset people that much? She didn't go.

Dathu

Newbie Noob

blue_not_red

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:10 am
You can't voluntarily change your sexual preference, but I get what your saying. razz I don't think people would be very happy with door to door atheists either, nobody would be willing to listen to anything you would say anyways unless they were already atheists... Religious people often are very close minded and completely oblivious to any other beleifs.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:02 am
It would be completely pointless, but an interesting study in hypocrisy I suppose  

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200

- Bipolarity -

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:26 pm
It would be very interesting... I think it could prove to have very little purpose, but maybe some minute purpose....  
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 2:32 pm
Contingent
Seems rather pointless to me.
Christians do it because they believe that they're savin' ya from eternal suffering.

Atheists don't really have such motivation.
Could be good for a joke, though.
I wouldn't mind trying it for the hell of it. xd  

[Satan]

Din_of_Serenity

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 1:38 pm
Christians do it to "save you"
Atheists could do it to save theyre minds.  
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 2:34 pm
silverspart7

I'd be a little afraid to go door-to-door trying to convert to atheism. People tend to get a little violent when it comes denouncing god. sweatdrop  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

Din_of_Serenity

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 3:04 pm
Dathu
silverspart7

I'd be a little afraid to go door-to-door trying to convert to atheism. People tend to get a little violent when it comes denouncing god. sweatdrop

excellent point once again. That why you bring a 2x4 with a nail in it. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:36 pm
Din_of_Serenity
Dathu
silverspart7

excellent point once again. That why you bring a 2x4 with a nail in it. 3nodding

xd And one persuasive a** pamphlet!  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:18 pm
Dathu
There was a girl I used to talk to who was going to join a church that would have asked her to go door to door. She was thinking about doing it, and probably would have, but I talked her out of it by saying "Imagine instead of selling a religion, you're asking them to change their sexual preference. Would you like it if someone showed up at your door and said 'Excuse me, but are you a homosexual? Have you tried homosexuality? If you haven't then how do you know homosexuality is right for you? If you become a homosexual, endless rewards will await you in the afterlife.'"

She said she would be very offended, and that she'd even call the cops, to which I replied some people feel that way about their religion. Are you sure want to upset people that much? She didn't go.

Oh dear, I love this, so I'm using it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:27 am
Actually, it HAS been done as an experiment and recorded on video!

http://www.break.com/index/door_to_door_atheists_bother_mormons.html

Second half, but he does it all wrong. Not that there really is a right way to do it, because I think it's a TERRIBLE idea!! Notice he gets hit with a broom at one point. I think there has been other instances where Atheists have gotten death threats and stuff for attempting this, but I have no source for that.

At any rate, we DO need to have a pamphlet to hand out to door-to-door people who come to us! "Hello, do you know Jesus?" "No, in fact, I'm an Atheist, and here's why. Please read this pamphlet; I think you'll find it very enlightening." rofl  

alteregoivy

Raticiel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:50 am
There's no way I'd humiliate myself and people I'd be visiting like that. xd
simple as that.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items