Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's official Graphic Design Guild for all things profiles, logos, graphics and much much more! 

Tags: Graphic, Design, Digital art, Photoshop, Profiles 

Reply The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild
Planet rendered in Blender

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rate my cute little planet
  0 stars (poorly done)
  1 star
  2 stars
  3 stars (not bad)
  4 stars
  5 stars (EXCELLENT WORK!)
View Results

STLeeJay

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:08 pm
I just finished making this lovely little 3D model of a planet, rendered in Blender. I made it for my guild-based science-fiction RPG I'm developing on Gaia. Give me your opinion on my little planet on the poll and in post, please. smile

User Image
"Somewhere in a distant, lonely corner of the galaxy exists a tiny, cold, desolate ice world. From a distant view, it seems impossible that any life could exist on this frozen wasteland. But lately, long range scans conducted by the Terran Democracy on Sol III have detected faint movement in the planet's orbit..."  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:42 pm
The texture is a little weird on the globe and the star background isn't too interesting, but you've got a good start. Four stars.  

Knit Happens

6,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200

DaveTheGiant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:49 am
3 star's, i don't like the way you can see the planet texture at the top. Also the star background is incredibly boring... how about taking a few off and mixing up the size of stars thats left. Perhaps create some constellations or something.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:46 am
DaveTheGiant
3 star's, i don't like the way you can see the planet texture at the top. Also the star background is incredibly boring... how about taking a few off and mixing up the size of stars thats left. Perhaps create some constellations or something.

Actually, I'm not too good at creating starry backgrounds, myself. The stars you see were automatically generated by my renderer. But I'll practice with the settings for the star generator, and see what I can cook up.  

STLeeJay

Catani

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:03 pm
maybe try doing this the phothoshop way..
try these:
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/4257023/ - planet
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/4256959/ - starfield

those are by greg martin and give stunning effects also look athe gallery at which it's located as there are lot of tuts there

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:02 pm
More "shiny-ness" would be cool in the starry background.
The photoshop links from Catani would probably be the best.

SiuHai

Digipyro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:02 pm
dont take thisw too hard, i'm actually a 3d designer myself.. but isnt making a planet 1 of the easyest things to make in 3d..... and the texture should be a little bit more detailed... maybe adding a sun some 3d stars and a ozon layer around the planet.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:42 pm
Eastvane
dont take thisw too hard, i'm actually a 3d designer myself.. but isnt making a planet 1 of the easyest things to make in 3d..... and the texture should be a little bit more detailed... maybe adding a sun some 3d stars and a ozon layer around the planet.

Hey, Eastvane. Don't worry, I respect and deeply appreciate your advice. But keep in mind that I JUST got into 3D graphic design, by myself, not in a college, only last month. I'm still learning the most basic functions of my software (Blender). But since you are an experienced 3D designer, I would GREATLY appreciate any tutoring, advice, tips and guidance you could give me! TEACH ME!!! xd  

STLeeJay

PurpleChowder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:34 pm
You can make a planet in Photoshop, it's just EXTREMELY complicated. It takes a fifth a day, using the tutorial...Star fields are easier.
If you have Photoshop, then
http://www.deviantart.com/view/24155245/
That's a better tut for starfields
is Blender free?
OMG it is. I will download it. Yay for GNU license s**t!  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:19 am
ofcourse you could do most in photoshop. BUT thats not the way to become a 3d designer. it's best for him IF he wants to learn 3d to push his limits to the max ( didnt tried to say you didnt so dont get me wrong) and to learn on.

giving up at this point would be too easy and would bassicly means he would stop using 3d. my advice is. search for tutorials @ google. look at other 3d planets and try to build it in a way that YOU would say: WOW this could be a movie shot ( or real razz )  

Digipyro

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff