Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!

Back to Guilds

Reply The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!
H2G2 TV Show Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tinnumir

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:35 pm
Well, I finally got my copy of the BBC TV series of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy on DVD. It makes me very happy. It also makes me quite curious. Who all else on here has seen the tv show?

Also, what's your favourite episode? Who's your favourite charactor? Which actor do you absolutly despise and wish they had cast someone else in place of? (Sorry, I just can't stand Trillian's voice!) and whatever else you feel like throwing in. Such as the following:

I suppose I should've been prepared for it, knowing it was made in 1980, but I was caught by surprise at how primitive the special effects were. I guess I'm just to used to today's technology. Zaphod's second head was...well...I guess the only way to describe it is that I couldn't stop laughing at how unrealistic it was. It looked like it was in a state of perpetual shock; as if he had just seen someone's grandmother naked. But despite all this, I like the quiet head so much more. He has, what, like 3 lines? Hehe. He's the Silent Bob of H2G2.
Anyway, by today's standards, it was so bad it was great. Froodiest thing to have ever come out of the 80's. I'm off to watch it again! Share and Enjoy!  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:24 am
Lucky thing. Mines was nicked when some *&$% broke into my flat. gonk scream  

williamthebloody1880

Whip It Out!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:08 am
I have it too!! ^_^ I luffles it so. Hm. Well, I say that they cast Arthur and Ford well. Specially the dude that played Ford. I think he did -very- well in acheiving his loverly insane genius-esque self.

I hate Trillian's voice. It's so...Grating. and high pitched.......and Have you noticed how she slowly gets less and less clothes as the show progresses? that had me laughing my -a**- off when I realized it. Hm.....Trillians about the only one I didn't like.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:23 am
Ah, I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like Trillian. I hope movie Trillian is less annoying. Ford rocks. I absolutly love him.
And the extras disc. Oh how I adore the extras disc. So much HHGG goodness!  

Tinnumir

Yuuki Gunn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:25 pm
A little fact about Trillian:
Trillian is rarely ever played right, the original Trillian (who's name passes me at the moment) is not the one in the Miniseries, She is the only one to play Trillian moderetly right. She was working on something else when the Miniseries was filmed so she does not appear. From what I've seen the movie Trillian isn't that great, but I could be wrong.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:46 pm
I like Trillian in the book, she seems far more intelligent that she's ever appeared in anything that I've seen of the movies/miniseries.

Does anyone else find it rather odd that they cast Ford as a black guy in this one? Not that there's anything wrong with it, but I'm used to thinking of him with red hair...  

badgerdog

Zoutout

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:35 am
Trillian's voice annoyed me so very much.

She's an English woman, with a qualification in theoretical physics (I'm mainly guessing here - it's been ages since I read the books) and yet she sounds like an American bimbo... urgh.

I wonder how well the American shall play here in the film.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:04 am
I love the mini-series. It's so campy. And Ford was definitely the best.

badgerdog
Does anyone else find it rather odd that they cast Ford as a black guy in this one? Not that there's anything wrong with it, but I'm used to thinking of him with red hair...

Well, Douglas Adams said that all the characters could be played by pretty much anyone, as long as Arthur was kept British. I don't care what Ford looks like, as long as Mos Def does the part justice.  

Zombies Ate My Savior

Tinnumir

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:18 am
Trillian's being played by an american in the movie? Hmm. That's not right. She's definatly British. (By the book, anyway.)  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:23 pm
I have it too. The graphics are bad there's no arguing with that. But the acting's not bad.  

Angilwingz

Tinnumir

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:57 am
*as I wake this thread from a deep slumber. oops.*

Has anyone else found the Easter Eggs on the dvds? I found out about them via the trivia section of the IMDB entry on it. They make me happy. If you havn't seen them yet, here they are:
Disc 1
~Highlight "Set-Up", then go left. Enter the code 1146 to see a video of the destruction of Earth, followed by the recipe for the Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster.

~Sit at the main menu. After about a minute or so the film will start automatically. Return to the main menu. Wait again. After another minute or so the video will start again, but begin to distort. A message will appear explaining that your DVD Player has been affected by the Infinite Improbability Drive.

Disc 2
~Highlight "Communicate" and go left. You will see a large Earth. Press select to see a segment called "The Full Version of the Opening Titles". This version is actually the same length as the regular version, but the "O Tunnel" the astronaut flys through is replaced by the opening "Vortex" from Dr. Who.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:41 pm
COOL! *runs off to get DVD to try the easter eggs*

I LOVED that show. For the following reasons:

1. Incredibly accurate and true to the book. Word-for-word, almost.
2. Hilariously outdated special effects. You gotta love 'em. I don't know about you, but I think they're the best kind.
3. FORD! David Dixon was absolutely perfect as Ford.... got the whole crazy, otherworldly thing down great. Plus I think he's cute. redface

Trillian did get on my nerves a LOT though. *shudders* So... un-Trillian-y. If that's a word. It should be.

Just thought I should mention this because it's amusing... on my DVD player there's a note saying something like this (not exactly, I'm doing it from memory because the DVD is buried at the bottom of the box): "If you cannot hear the sound at any point on this DVD, switch the sound from stereo to mono. Do NOT adjust your Babelfish."  

Lupe_Oceana

MST3Kakalina

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:37 am
yeah, the TV trillian was really...ditzy, and not like she was in the radio series (or the books). i know DNA described her in the books as looking kind of Arabic, but it slips my mind at the moment whether or not he mentioned it in the radio shows as well.

i rather liked movie Trillian, though, but i think i'm alone in that, because i pretty much loved the movie and wouldn't change a thing about it.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:29 am
I've seen the first disk.
The general in the tub sort of disturbed.

And they have full rear nudity.

whee

Overall, I loved it.

Verax

Tinnumir

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:54 pm
Verax
I've seen the first disk.
The general in the tub sort of disturbed.

And they have full rear nudity.

Overall, I loved it

...and that beautiful rear end belongs to none other than the Great and Powerful Douglas Adams. That is why we love that episode so very very much. biggrin  
The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games