Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Insight of the Daoism and Confucius

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lesilrok

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:22 pm
The Spirit of things is an interesting topic and please give it a listen to and gives you an insightful perspective. (I may be an English Major at my College but I do have a thing for Philosophy especially Asian Philosophy) I read the Dao de Ching which is quite an intersting read to check out at your library or any works of Confucius is a must read too

What struck me as interesting was that we have an essentially atheist set of values, but that some people approach it dfferent ways. The two central figures are Confucius and Lao Tsu. Some people actually believe that they are spiritual entities. An interesting comment was made that this often happens in many religions, where a living person can 'become' a spirit or a deity. They are quite refreshing, although in some cases diametrically opposed views. There is no concept of Original Sin, and no presumption that people are naturally sinful. Is this a concept that is unique to Christianity and Islam

The concept of Good and Evil doesn't really figure either. Daoism is about "Going with the Flow" , or fitting in with the natural harmony of things. Lao Tsu seems to be more influenced by nature and the environment in his interpretation of 'The Way', whereas Confucius is more aligned with people and society.

It's interesting that many people belong to a number of faiths, for example Buddhist, Daoist and Confucianist. I see Daoism and Confuciansm are being complimentary (Yin and Yang).

I often see the concept of Good and Evil in Western religion as the reflection of the primeval struggle between individual (Selfish DNA) needs and the more altruistic society-oriented ideals.

The Chinese philosophies seem to me to be much more mature than the monotheist perspective. That's my perspective anyway.

Its quite long but please give it a listen to

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/spiritofthings/stories/2006/1667429.htm  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:49 am
Good timing. I was just listening to that just as I saw this topic. (I downloaded it as soon as it came out, but I don't have much time to focus on listening to podcasts during the holidays - sounds ironic, but true.)

Confucianism is very influential in Chinese culture, even for those who do not identify as belonging to any of these faiths. Confucian morals are the basis of Chinese moral standards.

I think it is a good example of how people can have morals without believing in a "god".  

The MoUsY spell-checker

Maryhl

Shy Werewolf

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:22 am
Neat listen, there. heart
I've been into Eastern philosophy for quite sometime, as well. I ended up liking Ch'an/Zen Buddhism so much that I adopted the practice. (Zen's ultimately just a fusion of Buddhism and Daoism.)

The underlining theme is not morals, though, but mindfulness. Just being aware of what you are doing and thinking. Eventually you find that you can't make mistakes any more than the sun makes mistakes. If this leads one to conclude they are "perfect", then they should also consider that this means everyone is in this way, as well.
So this "going with the flow" is really just trusting life.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:24 pm
I heard that Confucianism was invented while the Great Wall was being built. It was meant to encourage harder work or something.

I'll give it a listen.  

Lethkhar

Aimee_Jayde

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:53 pm
Just have to tell you...although it's pronounced "daoism", the correct spelling of this philosophy/religion is "taoism"(something I learned in Chinese Theatre History class).

I very much like the philosophy of taoism, and try to follow it. The idea behind yin yang, that there can be no good without evil, and vice versa, is so logical, how could I possibly resist? It's comforting, too...there is always a bit of good in bad things(something my optimistic boyfriend has finally convinced me of).  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:54 pm
Aimee_Jayde
Just have to tell you...although it's pronounced "daoism", the correct spelling of this philosophy/religion is "taoism"(something I learned in Chinese Theatre History class).

I very much like the philosophy of taoism, and try to follow it. The idea behind yin yang, that there can be no good without evil, and vice versa, is so logical, how could I possibly resist? It's comforting, too...there is always a bit of good in bad things(something my optimistic boyfriend has finally convinced me of).

"There's always sunshine with the shade."  

Lethkhar

Aimee_Jayde

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:08 pm
Lethkhar
Aimee_Jayde

I find that to be a rather comforting thought.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:59 am
| . . __And [i'd] g i v e up forever to to u ch you.~ ♥ . . |

Lately I haven't found the time to read various books and articles and listenings relating to Asian philosophy, but I've been very eager about it.

I'll give this a listen when I get home: right now I'm on the computer at school.

When everything's made to be broken,

User Image
I just want you to know who I am.

Ye a h ;┼

When everything s E E ms like the mÛµvies. . .

you
{ b l e e d }
just to know
you're alive.

coppelia in the flesh

Aepix

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:16 pm
Aimee_Jayde
Lethkhar
Aimee_Jayde

Except that where the shade and where the sun is, is objective. So it seems to me that everything's just kind of gray. Which isn't terribly comforting, but I can't get a grip on the idea that anything could be evil.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:21 pm
Aethiopica
Aimee_Jayde
Lethkhar
Aimee_Jayde

Except that where the shade and where the sun is, is objective. So it seems to me that everything's just kind of gray. Which isn't terribly comforting, but I can't get a grip on the idea that anything could be evil.

"Evil" is a human creation and is a matter of perspective and moral code.  

Lethkhar

Niveous

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:56 pm
You are smart, but simple.

you only see small branch on the large tree that is the history of the world.
Everything intermingles, and thus speaking......taking out philosophy and putting it under a microscope doesn't do it justice at all.

Here is just an example:

Western Europe. Consider the closed quarters, the fight for resources, the lousy weather, and the political juggernauts to rise out of these opportune times. Now we have people WISHING hard to find ways to control and puppet the masses. How about...I don't know....DUALISM
Mind=bad spirit= good Translation: Follow my orders without thinking, your death is good for you smile (I swear!) lol

You're either with us, or against us. Now do you see one small example why its not wise to look with narrow eyes.

And yes, I will agree that eastern philosophy WAS more matture.
Out of the conflict and deceit and problems and countless mistakes of Europe, we learn from the "The School of Hard Knocks" Experience can be a great teacher, and we have modern philosophers to re-examine and even re-define eartern philosophy to better it.

Its good to see teamwork. I'd have to say Eastern Philosophy is just awesome, it is just all together better, but that doesn't mean it is the law of the land, it needed badly to be improved upon and was, by the west ironically.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:03 pm
Very interesting. I will have to look taoism and confucianism up sometime... But, for the good/evil thing... quite true. Just dont mix it up with order and chaos... In the eternal words of Black Mage:
Quote:
I refuse to take part in any adventure that is metaphysically rooted in the destruction of an abstaract and artificial concept like chaos simply because connotatively speaking it's less desirable than the equally artificial term 'order'.

When will you people learn these are merely patterns that our temporal minds have made for us in a desperate attempt to make sense of an unimaginably huge and impersonal universe?

Order, chaos, these are words. Only words for things we don't even understand. Chaos is not sonething you fight against, order is not something you protect. They have no power or importance other than that which we give them.
rofl  

Death God Hitsugaya

SmurfsonAcid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:11 pm
Not enough excitement in those philosophies, if you ask me. I'll pass.

i'm high =D  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff