Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's official Graphic Design Guild for all things profiles, logos, graphics and much much more! 

Tags: Graphic, Design, Digital art, Photoshop, Profiles 

Reply The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild
Professional Portfolio Hints and Tips

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SilverVixen
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:35 pm
There were a couple people asking about how to make a good portfolio, so I'm going to put some thoughts together from the old thread, from experience, and add some links. Any input is appreciated!!

c
Your portfolio should reflect the sort of design you do and your personality. It should be fairly easy to navigate and showcase your best work. Graphic design is mostly about thought: your assigned project and where you went with it, what your intentions were to fulfill a certain requirement. One good example of a thorough porfolio is Tolleson Design. They explain what the goal of each project was and show ample photos.
Some design companies are more interested in the process work than the actual finished product, because the process reflects your thinking. An example of a site dedicated to the process aspect of design is Appetite Engineers. The entire portfolio explains step by step, from beginning ideas to final products. In their case, the way that they arrive at their final product involves so many weird steps that this makes their portfolio more interesting than your run-of-the-mill showcase.

Even though these sites were done in Flash, I think it's still very possible to make a nice portfolio without it. In fact, a well-designed HTML is a lot better than a bad Flash site (for me). You can't make a bad design look good, no matter how much actionscripting you know.

Links
GD Portfolio
Portfolio Center
Graphic Artist's Guild Portfolios
Arts Resource Network
(more coming soon)

Tips I got from a Designer
(coming soon)  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:24 pm
the presentation of your portfolio is part of the portfolio itself
keep it professional or fitting with your style of work

but then again also give examples of the range of work you can produce, using different resources and techniques etc

thats my tips addition
enjoy!!  

Acis

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas