Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Emo Guild

Back to Guilds

What do you think genius? Its a guild for emo's. 

Reply The Emo Guild (Down at the copa... copacabana)
is this an eating disorder? or signs of one

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ur_code_name_is_milo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:07 am
not being able to swallow propoly and having a fear of choking.
ive had it for a while and its really staring to bug me><  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:12 pm
I think you'll be fine.
Food is your friend.
surprised

Just don't worry.
People are starting
to know the heimlich
more now.

implosions

timebombxbaby

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:43 pm
That happens to me to. But I think that's just because I used to choke on everything when I was little.

I don't think it'd be an eating disorder, but I'm no expert.

XD

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:02 pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudodysphagia_(fear_of_choking)

Pseudodysphagia (fear of choking) is the irrational fear of swallowing or choking. The symptoms are psychosomatic in nature, triggered by a change in the subconcious. The act of swallowing becomes mentally lnked with choking, or with undercapacity of the esophageal opening. This can induce panic reactions prior to or during the act of swallowing. The sensation of difficult swallowing feels authentic to the affected individual, although it is based on nothing in reality. It is important that dysphagia (difficult or painful swallowing) be ruled out before a diagnosis of psuedodysphagia is made.

Fear of choking is associated with anxiety, depression, panic attacks, hypochondriasis, and weight loss. The condition can occur in both children and adults, and is equally common among males and females. Quality of life can be severely affected. Avoidance of restaurants or social settings is also common, since sometimes food can only be taken in small bites or with liquid.

The author was able to independently overcome this condtion by "reprogramming" the subconcious to achieve consistent, positive associations with the act of swallowing. This is achieved by repeated suggestion to the subconcious, through focused thought, before attempting to swallow. One can visualize the capacity of the esophageal opening, focusing on the natural ability to swallow large amounts of food comfortably. The mind gradually learns to dissociate the negative perception. Swallowing will gradually become completely comfortable and normal again. This technique is difficult at first and requires perseverance to achieve. Necessary for success is the prior realization that the symptoms are fictitious.

The above worked for the author but may not work for everyone. It is important that all with these symptoms seek advice from a medical professional.
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudodysphagia_(fear_of_choking)"

Category: Articles lacking sources

Hope that helps smile  

seriousninja

The Emo Guild (Down at the copa... copacabana)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games