Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's official Graphic Design Guild for all things profiles, logos, graphics and much much more! 

Tags: Graphic, Design, Digital art, Photoshop, Profiles 

Reply The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild
Golden Proportion

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Koiyuki

Mind-boggling Codger

1,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:55 am
Omnetwork.net

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

This formula is integrated in nature’s designs, in body of humans, animals, plants, in order of planets, stars and galaxies. Everything that is created by nature has this proportions applied somehow. So, when you do some design in Photoshop, it is good idea to use this ancient knowledge to determinate dimensions and locations of object on graphic.

What do you think of factoring the Golden Proportion into your designs? And is a simpler way of expressing it?*since math is not my strongest subject gonk *  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:02 pm
well simplifying that out .. its about 8:5 ratio  

GhoSt-X

Bolweevil

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:19 am
GhoSt-X
well simplifying that out .. its about 8:5 ratio
That's nearly the same ratio of most computer displays.

Perhaps the people who came before us already had that equasion in mind when designing the tools we now use.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:34 pm
Hmm, does this formula lead to more visually appealing designs?  

Koiyuki

Mind-boggling Codger

1,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Bolweevil

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:38 pm
They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I can't say that I've noticed that I like images in any particular dimension. It would also hard to establish whether images in computers are that size because of the formula, or because that size best fits the displays they are viewed on.

Math isn't my best subject either so I can;t think of how to use that formula to determine positioning or anything else related to graphic design.

There are however many studies done about what factors in design appeal to people, such as the positioning of subjects in images, color and color combinations and other design related aspects.

You would probably need some advanced degree in something to say whether or not any of that is related to your formula.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:57 pm
Thats seems like it would work better in a 3d graphics program rather than in Photoshop. I don't know. It doesn't make much sense to me.  

brokenyoyo

Koiyuki

Mind-boggling Codger

1,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:20 pm
Bolweevil
They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I can't say that I've noticed that I like images in any particular dimension. It would also hard to establish whether images in computers are that size because of the formula, or because that size best fits the displays they are viewed on.

Math isn't my best subject either so I can;t think of how to use that formula to determine positioning or anything else related to graphic design.

There are however many studies done about what factors in design appeal to people, such as the positioning of subjects in images, color and color combinations and other design related aspects.

You would probably need some advanced degree in something to say whether or not any of that is related to your formula.

Yes...and math of this level makes my head want to go pop, so I don't I can say much more about it, on that level. gonk  
The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games