Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Emo Guild

Back to Guilds

What do you think genius? Its a guild for emo's. 

Reply The Emo Guild (Down at the copa... copacabana)
Are these bands emo?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rellik San
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:23 am
This is a genuine question, I would lke you all to download a song of theirs, and jdge it on the lyrical merits alone and then tell me, if they are, or aren't emotional in nature.

Skyclad
Moonspell
Radiohead
Clawefinger

Ignore what the site says they are, listen to them yourselves, or look at the lyrics and tell me, if these bands are emotional or not.

This is admittedly a very see through plan to try and broaden your music tastes, but seeing as emo is short for emotive. I feel thses are some very good bands to help you get into that frame of mind, each very different emotions, but each still as personal as the next FAFF or BFMV song.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:12 am
if you think about it there is not one song in the entire history of music that isnt emotional weather its anout love, jealousy, hate its all emotional so anone band can be pigionholed by some ******** idiot 12 year old as being "emo"  

maxwell_murder

ghostmelody

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:10 am
Okay, seriously, I've got to ask this: what the hell is wrong with 'emo'? Why does everyone view it as this down-trodden collective of posers and cutters who do nothing but cry and act like they're better than others? What is wrong with the 'label' of emo? No one stops and thinks for a second about the label of prep. It's automatically seen as a slutty, popular, make-up caked chick or athletic dude who is always rude to other people. Everyone's always saying 'death to preps' and all that crap, but in all honesty, those are usually the people that are sick of the idea of emo. Why? Because people classified as 'emo' think they're better than others and that they are the only ones who can't be labeled, which is completely ridiculous.

On another note, why can't emo be a type of music and a type of person? There are certain defining qualities to the genre (and that does not include tight jeans and mascara) that a lot of people happen to match and are therefore labeled as such. That's how all labeling works, and in all honesty, I have no problem with it.

And why do people take the names of genres so literally?!? It bugs the s**t out of me. Does anybody even know what 'rap' is supposed to mean? 'Pop' means popular, but popular music isn't automatically 'pop music '(even though that's how a lot of people interpret it) Genres are just made to make classification easier, and the title of emo just happens to coincidentaly coincide with 'emotional'.

Wow. If any of that made sense, feel free to tell me. Rereading it, I'm still trying to figure out what the hell I was talking about... sweatdrop

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:47 pm
I agree with ghostmelody. I prefer to think as emo as a style of music. The colthes that 'emo's' wear sometimes are called 'scene'.Give me a brake.If someone likes black rimmed glasses, so be it.If a guy wants to wear eyeliner, so be it. They have to label everything.Wether it be prep,gothic,punk,emo, or anything else that somepeople see needs to be separated from the everyday look.

Note to Selves:
Labels are for soup cans.

The worst thing that I see today is that 'preps' give us a bad name by being 'posers' to 'emo' and 'gothic' subculture. We don't call preps 'sluts' or 'barbie-followers'.[[Even if some of us do..]]I think 'emo' should be classifed as a genre of music, not a sense of style or make-up features or glasses.

toy cowboy

Rellik San
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:28 pm
*Shrugs* I think the point was missed, I am aware of what emo is as a music label and type, just it covers such a broad spectrum, to say its one thing, when one band could take it the opposite direction. Ergo limiting its capacity fro spreading. Not all music is emotional, though it may evoke emotions.

As I said, this is actually a thinly veiled guise, to get alot of the people, whom are insistant on not trying other forms of music, to try and broaden their horizons, by listing a few bands, with similar lyrical styles and themes to that they already know and love. I'm sorry if anyone got the wrong idea.

Most of the thread, despite the message being clear, is mainly my sense of humour comming into play, a sense of humour only a select few on this forum have been able to understand. Maybe it could be my jokes are too intellectual, or seen as too offensive (although those ones are done in a nudge wink style). As such, here is the official apology, for essentially, liking something enough to take the time and think of witty posts and ideas, which could not only help expand the accessability of the forum to people with an interest in the music, but an effort in vain, to expand your minds and levels of understanding.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:19 am
ghostmelody
Okay, seriously, I've got to ask this: what the hell is wrong with 'emo'? Why does everyone view it as this down-trodden collective of posers and cutters who do nothing but cry and act like they're better than others? What is wrong with the 'label' of emo? No one stops and thinks for a second about the label of prep. It's automatically seen as a slutty, popular, make-up caked chick or athletic dude who is always rude to other people. Everyone's always saying 'death to preps' and all that crap, but in all honesty, those are usually the people that are sick of the idea of emo. Why? Because people classified as 'emo' think they're better than others and that they are the only ones who can't be labeled, which is completely ridiculous.

On another note, why can't emo be a type of music and a type of person? There are certain defining qualities to the genre (and that does not include tight jeans and mascara) that a lot of people happen to match and are therefore labeled as such. That's how all labeling works, and in all honesty, I have no problem with it.

And why do people take the names of genres so literally?!? It bugs the s**t out of me. Does anybody even know what 'rap' is supposed to mean? 'Pop' means popular, but popular music isn't automatically 'pop music '(even though that's how a lot of people interpret it) Genres are just made to make classification easier, and the title of emo just happens to coincidentaly coincide with 'emotional'.

Wow. If any of that made sense, feel free to tell me. Rereading it, I'm still trying to figure out what the hell I was talking about... sweatdrop

exactily...

"emo" is really music but sure it is now a lable
i think lables are made by ******** up people who want to hurt other people..

how the hell did it turn into a lable

but w/e i like the style

its just stupid how ppl see us in that way
i just choose to ignore thoughs who dont have a life.....
but i do hate preps they are stuckup bitches
right now i dont know who your defending?
but neway Lables hurt.....but some reason I hate lables but i use them Which isnt setting a good example lol sweatdrop

GabbieNightmare

Little Miss Lunacy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:40 am
emo="emotive hardcore"
emo/= "emotional"  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:33 pm
ghostmelody was right. if you like black you arent goth, and if you like pink you arent cute... labels just suck at my point of view stare  

ChatuRRa

-Isel-

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:47 pm
Quit the label-protesting, it's dumb and it's pointless. I'd go into that, but I prefer to stay on topic.

The only band I can comment on out of those is Radiohead, and a lot of the songs on Pablo Honey could be identified as slow-tempo emo.

Then again, Radiohead has... done some genre-exploring. Nowhere near as much as Beck does, but they still have a broad palette.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:53 pm
Wow! Nobody answered the first question.
And no they aren't emo. They're indie rock.  

Love.From.Hate

5,300 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

-Isel-

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:35 pm
xX Emo-chan Xx
Wow! Nobody answered the first question.
And no they aren't emo. They're indie rock.

Who, Radiohead?

Last I checked, Capitol isn't an indie label.

The Emo Guild (Down at the copa... copacabana)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games