Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!

Back to Guilds

Reply The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!
Who read the book long before they showed the movie trailer? Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

LilaTheMoo

Dapper Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 6:13 pm
I didn't even know one was coming out, and I read the book. I heard about it from my 7th grade teacher. I laughed my a** off, but I wasn't to thrilled with reading back then. My marine biology teacher mentioned it last year, before they released the trailer, and it convinced me to read the original. I went through the first three books in a week or so. I got a bit bored during the forth book, so I stopped reading it. I finished reading the entire trilogy the week before the movie came out. Being a fan of the original I wasn't to thrilled with the movie, but it was still funny.  
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 6:14 pm
I read it a few years before.....5 times...  

Electric_Tok

Kiss in Digital

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 6:35 pm
I read it a few years ago because of Radiohead's song "Paranoid Android" and was EXTREMELY skeptical about the movie. But, given that Adams wrote most of the screenplay and the fact that it's an adaptation of a book that was an adaptation of radio plays I'm quite happy with the movie.  
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 6:36 pm
I first read the trilogy years ago, and I've read them countless times since then. Same with the Dirk Gently novels.  

DemoniclyAttained

LilaTheMoo

Dapper Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 7:45 pm
Kiss in Digital
I read it a few years ago because of Radiohead's song "Paranoid Android" and was EXTREMELY skeptical about the movie. But, given that Adams wrote most of the screenplay and the fact that it's an adaptation of a book that was an adaptation of radio plays I'm quite happy with the movie.
I know he made the screenplay, but It wasn't that much like the original book. They tried too hard to make it into a suitable movie.  
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 8:00 pm
I first read the books when I was in the 6th grade, a wopping 7 years ago. Wow, now I feel old. I've read the books so many times I've lost count, especially since I bought the Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide.  

feintingfolly

circuit sparks

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 8:15 pm
I think I started reading about a year and a half ago or so, after Zianete introduced me to it. xd  
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 8:31 pm
Ooo...oooo....ME I read the original trilogy. whee whee heart heart xd xd *has it in his backpack along with his towel.*

Hi Red.

Animeistro

Kiss in Digital

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 8:52 pm
Dante..Sparda
Kiss in Digital
I know he made the screenplay, but It wasn't that much like the original book. They tried too hard to make it into a suitable movie.
They? Try 'he.' Though really. A LOT of the humour of the book could not translate into movie form.

For instance the bit about the lead contruction man being a descendant of Khan. It wouldn't work in movie form.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:45 pm
Dante..Sparda
Kiss in Digital

Did you really EXPECT it to be just like the book? The story is never the same one through two incarnations.

He did try hard to make it into a good movie, and I think he succeeded. However, my point is, the changes probably weren't just to make it into a good movie, they would have to be there for it to be truly Adams. I imagine they're just much more pronounced because he had 20 years to think on it.  

DemoniclyAttained

LilaTheMoo

Dapper Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:10 pm
TLHE
Dante..Sparda
Kiss in Digital

Did you really EXPECT it to be just like the book? The story is never the same one through two incarnations.

He did try hard to make it into a good movie, and I think he succeeded. However, my point is, the changes probably weren't just to make it into a good movie, they would have to be there for it to be truly Adams. I imagine they're just much more pronounced because he had 20 years to think on it.
It was a good movie, and it did feel like a piece of DNA's art but somethings really bugged me. The Romance story between Arthur and Trillian was really not needed, and... that was about it. I do wish they would've used the guide more, explaining the whole thing with the towel(that was really needed),and did that bit about god with the Bablefish. I'm probably just disappointed that it wasn't funnier.  
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:47 pm
Dante..Sparda
It was a good movie, and it did feel like a piece of DNA's art but somethings really bugged me. The Romance story between Arthur and Trillian was really not needed, and... that was about it. I do wish they would've used the guide more, explaining the whole thing with the towel(that was really needed),and did that bit about god with the Bablefish. I'm probably just disappointed that it wasn't funnier.

Alright, I can agree with you there. Without the towel bit, it just made Ford look even more off... A catty gay queen with the hots for Arthur and a towel fetish? That's not quite the Ford I know, but whatever.  

DemoniclyAttained

phobia2001

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:34 pm
I read the book... 5 years ago... and have been in love with them ever since.

"I am pretty sure that Douglas Adams was the earthly incarnation of Humor in its purest form."
-J. Jacques, author of Questionable Content

Must say I agree with him. <3  
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:49 pm
I read it before I knew they were even considering making a movie.  

Angilwingz

Echidnite

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 2:34 am
I read the books last year. I had always *meant* to read them but I finally got around to it when my friend got hooked on the TV series and started quoting it incessantly. I figured I needed to know what she was talking about. XD I didn't even realise a movie was in produciton till my friend gave me the radio scripts for my birthday and I read about it being in 'development hell... will most certainly be released any decade now.' I had no idea the movie would come out so soon after I got hooked. ^^  
The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games