Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Could You Live With a Religious Family for 30 Days? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Could you do it?
  Yeah
  No!
  I am already there...
View Results

Nonymous

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:47 pm

If you haven’t heard of it, there is a show on FX called 30 Days where people of different backgrounds have to live with each other for 30 days. Some of the past shows had a man who lost his job to outsourcing to live with the Indians who took his job and a man who works for the American Border Patrol lived with a family of illegal immigrants.

Well this Wensday, August 9th on FX, an Atheist will live with a religious family for 30 days. ((Check your local listings for show times.)) I personally would go insane and someone would die by the first week. But I think this would be an interesting show to watch.

So what are some stories you have about your life with religious people and when your views conflict? Have you ever seen this show and what do you think will happen?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:48 pm
Wife swap (I think you have something called "Trading spouses" or something like that), where the wife from one family leaves to live with another. It's been quite entertaining, there have been one or two Atheists.

The best thing I saw like that (twice, as I caught it on repeat again) was an epidode of "Holiday Showdown" where two families go on each others' holidays together. One family of non-believers (wouldn't call them strong atheists) went to salt lake city with this mormon family, it was hilarious because of the non-believers' sarcasm which went right over the heads of the mormons xd

Muaethia

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:38 pm
Meh, I'd probably survive. Bow your head at prayer, don't start anything, and back down when someone else does.

(See also: My survival method for the next three years. XD)  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:11 pm
addseale2
Meh, I'd probably survive. Bow your head at prayer, don't start anything, and back down when someone else does.

Hm? Why should the Athiest have to bow before the Theist?

If it were me, I'd take the earliest chance, show how you don't want to make me angry, and then there would be peace.

It would be a truce. They don't bring up religion, or attempt to force me to go to church, and I'll keep my mouth shut.

I don't know if I would last. I'm the kind of person where if I don't like something, I'm going to fix it. If I can't fix it, I leave so that I don't have to be around it.

Sanguvixen

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:29 pm
Sanguvixen
addseale2

If it were me, I'd take earliest chance, show how you don't want to make me angry, and then there would be peace.

It would be a truce. They don't bring up religion, or attempt to force me to go to chuch, and I'll keep my mouth shut.

I don't know if I would last. I'm the kind of person where if I don't like something, I'm going to fix it. If I can't fix it, I leave so that I don't have to be around it.

Why should the atheist have to bow before the theist?
Because the theist is the alpha, by far.

Considering a significant portion of those around me have been raised with a grumpy, mean, self-centered idea of atheists, I think it best to stay quiet about it in this case, lest I prove them right, eh?

It's *their* school, and it's either this, a 25 hour a week shift, or (Eww.) public high school. (Which is probably worse than what I have.)  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:15 pm
I might be able to put up with it depending on how religious the family is. If they were really hard core, trying to convert me, and constantly telling me I’m going to go to hell I would probably go nuts and get the hell out of there.  

Zambimaru

The MoUsY spell-checker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:25 am
Nonymous
Some of the past shows had a man who lost his job to outsourcing to live with the Indian’s who took his job and a man who works for the American Boarder Patrol lived with a family of illegal immigrants.

I'm quite sure that there shouldn't be an apostrophe in "Indians" because it's not a possessive. Also, are you sure that it's "Boarder" Patrol and not "Border" Patrol?

Sorry, I've picked up my bad habit of being picky again.

Anyway, I don't think I can live with anyone that isn't my family, religious or not.

I need a lot of time alone, and I don't like to follow other people's timing. I don't think anyone that isn't in my family will be able to tolerate living with me.

If I have to stay with a religious family, I would make it clear that I'm not in their religion and expect to be excused from any worshipping that they do. I'll go do something else while they worship and not bother them. If they insist that I have to join in, I would hope that it's something that doesn't require me to do anything so I can just sleep. For example, I normally sleep during devotional assemblies at school. They say "bow your heads and pray", I bow my head and sleep.

If they try to convert me, I'll start trying to tell them to stop being religious just to show them how pointless it is to try to convert someone.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:27 am
I think I could pull off living with religeous people for thirty days. And if anyone tried to mess with me, or convert me, I'd pull out the ol' crazy "act". Mwua ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haaaa!  

Phoebos

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:16 am
addseale2
Sanguvixen
addseale2

If it were me, I'd take earliest chance, show how you don't want to make me angry, and then there would be peace.

It would be a truce. They don't bring up religion, or attempt to force me to go to chuch, and I'll keep my mouth shut.

Considering a significant portion of those around me have been raised with a grumpy, mean, self-centered idea of atheists, I think it best to stay quiet about it in this case, lest I prove them right, eh?

It's *their* school, and it's either this, a 25 hour a week shift, or (Eww.) public high school. (Which is probably worse than what I have.)

I was talking about the athiest who is living with thiests for 30 days.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:46 am

I've lived with a religious family for a long time. I've gone to school with and been friends with religious people for a long time. I don't think it'd be that hard unless they specifically picked (which they would for TV) a family with some people who are really strong minded, easily offended, not very tolerant, and don't mind starting something themselves. I would just be polite but honest, and not make that extra push over to being offending.
I think you'd probably end up surprising them in a good way if you could hold your own without trying to start something or make a point of making things harder for them.

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:21 am
Sanguvixen
addseale2
Sanguvixen
addseale2

I was talking about the athiest who is living with thiests for 30 days.

Oh. Okay.

(Same point, different situation. No point in resisting an unstoppable force.)  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:59 am
Haha. I have had to do that for about... 15 years. Haha. An atheist in a religious house. xP And it still goes on...

Yami_Ichi

Nonymous

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:06 am
Sanguvixen
addseale2

If it were me, I'd take the earliest chance, show how you don't want to make me angry, and then there would be peace.

It would be a truce. They don't bring up religion, or attempt to force me to go to church, and I'll keep my mouth shut.

I tell the people right away that I don't say grace. And when they are all praying I start to eat. I don't want to take part in what they do or to pretend to take part in it. Sometimes you might go along with a family to church because you don’t want to offend them or start anything. But the entire time you are uncomfortable. You shouldn’t be submissive just because another group is dominant.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:33 pm
Nonymous
Sanguvixen
addseale2

I tell the people right away that I don't say grace. And when they are all praying I start to eat. I don't want to take part in what they do or to pretend to take part in it. Sometimes you might go along with a family to church because you don’t want to offend them or start anything. But the entire time you are uncomfortable. You shouldn’t be submissive just because another group is dominant.

I've never had to say grace in my life, but I think it's really disrespectful to start eating while they are still praying. It means something to them, and they would think you were awfully rude if you just started eating. I wouldn't, I would sit there determindly until they finish.

It's not being submissive, if everyone else is doing it they are a majority so are dominent. It's not a case of 'keeping your head down', either, it would just be morally wrong in my opinion to shout out "NO I WONT PRAY IM BEING A REBEL LOL".

Not that I would ever go along with it. It's called passive resistance, if they let me not pray I let them pray type of thing. Meh.

Muaethia

Lesilrok

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:36 pm
Muaethia
Wife swap (I think you have something called "Trading spouses" or something like that), where the wife from one family leaves to live with another. It's been quite entertaining, there have been one or two Atheists.

I do not like the idea because the media points a lot of bias in favor for the majorityI remeber watching that and the guy's name is reggie jackson and had his own website called the infidelguy.com and has been running it for 7 years now. that is his job and the network instead of calling it pro-atheism or something that gives atheism a positive view they call it anti-god funny ain't it.

as for the 30 days I been in it for all my life surrounded by a family of religious nuts. I am known as the black sheep of the family (baa!)  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff