Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Supernatural and Paranormal Network

Back to Guilds

A guild all about the supernatural and paranormal, allowing for open discussion for believers and sceptics alike. 

Tags: supernatural, paranormal, ghosts, psionics, magic 

Reply Witchcraft, Wicca, Magicks
Languages in magic and the like.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lord Jagged
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:02 am
I was wondering about the use of different languages in super and paranormal things. Are some languages more effective than others.
Languages such as latin, greek and Sanskrit are used, as well as plain English.

What's your opinion of this?  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:07 am
Perhaps it makes a difference. I think it makes a difference in chants atleast and other things that require talking. I can't comment very well since I don't do much as far as spells. Atleast I haven't yet.  

VivoDePyre

Vixen13

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:04 pm
I personally think it's the focus and the intent behind the words than the words themselves. But I suppose there is something to say to a language so old and used by so many people that it has an underlying power of its own.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:14 am
Vixen13
I personally think it's the focus and the intent behind the words than the words themselves. But I suppose there is something to say to a language so old and used by so many people that it has an underlying power of its own.

Well, if you want to control someone or contact a dead person, in your opinion, would it be better to use their own language?  

Lord Jagged
Captain

Vixen13

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:59 pm
To "control" a person, I see that more as an energy based technique. So spell or otherwise, it would be helpful to use something you understand b/c it would be your energy imposing upon theirs. Or your spell would be stronger by something you know and not something you're unfamiliar with. Also note, I feel words in spells are more for concentration than the acctual power they put into it, so it depends on a person's frame of mind. If you believe the spell with work better said in their language than it will. If you don't, it won't. *shrugs*

As for contacting the dead, you'd have to understand my idea on souls. If a person is clinging to their life or very determined and set in their ways then they condense themselves and do not disipate when they die, thus causing the retention of the mental state of the former living person. So if it's a small amount that's determined to stay together, then language is not a barrier, but they are also not likely to speak in languages. If they are large and retain almost their entire selves, then they wouldn't know how to speak outside their own language. If they're old, then they can speak in their own language with the add ins of ideas and feelings behind a phrase, making you work to determine what they're saying until you feel the sentence you have is the one they want to say.

So within this realm of thinking, I don't see langauge as a baracade outside of our own physical cultures of people. But all of what I said is my own soul theory and personal experiences. So have at it what you will.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:01 pm
Vixen13
To "control" a person, I see that more as an energy based technique. .

I agree. Think of it like this. In the afterlife, there is no physical matter. Only emotion. The way one communicates is through projecting one's thoughts (through the useage of energy), so in all reality, no words are needed.

Vixen13
Also note, I feel words in spells are more for concentration than the acctual power they put into it, so it depends on a person's frame of mind. If you believe the spell with work better said in their language than it will. If you don't, it won't. *shrugs*

You'd be surprised how well the force of will works. I think this to be true in the field of empathy, as well. Think something loud or strong enough and someone will pick up the thought.

Vixen13
As for contacting the dead, you'd have to understand my idea on souls. If a person is clinging to their life or very determined and set in their ways then they condense themselves and do not disipate when they die, thus causing the retention of the mental state of the former living person. So if it's a small amount that's determined to stay together, then language is not a barrier, but they are also not likely to speak in languages. If they are large and retain almost their entire selves, then they wouldn't know how to speak outside their own language. If they're old, then they can speak in their own language with the add ins of ideas and feelings behind a phrase, making you work to determine what they're saying until you feel the sentence you have is the one they want to say.

So within this realm of thinking, I don't see langauge as a baracade outside of our own physical cultures of people. But all of what I said is my own soul theory and personal experiences. So have at it what you will.

Interesting concept. It all depends on the type of spirit, I'd say. Residual sorts are trapped within a small space. In most occurances, they cannot see outside of their personal bubble (more likely to speak one set language). Roaming spirits (those that remain in tact; think and act as they see fit and are not confined to a set area) can speak in any language. After all, they are more aware. They know how to use psychic energies to project their message(s).

As far as the useage of languages in general, I believe that it doesn't chance the effect in the least, unless calling upon a Deity. (i.e.- when asking Asatru Gods for aid, you use a Germanic language; Gaelic for Irish/Scottish/Pagan Gods, etc)  

Ciora

Neko_Bast

Tricky Cat

19,600 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:07 pm
I think using another languege would only work if you actually understood what you were saying. If you don't it wojld be better to use your own.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:39 pm
Lord Jagged
I was wondering about the use of different languages in super and paranormal things. Are some languages more effective than others.
Languages such as latin, greek and Sanskrit are used, as well as plain English.

What's your opinion of this?

In my opinion, the language is just there to help you define a spell in your mine, but it is not necessary. In more modern history it has become a question of hiding what you are saying from the commoner, so they would pick languages no longer spoken.  

Erebean

fun_loving_wierdo_001
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:20 pm
Latin works very well when trying to call upon a vision of something or a person. My friend did it once when I was there, and she said the words in english, nothing happened. Trying again, still nothing happened. Then I suggested that she say the incantation in latin. She did and we waited for awhile. After about 15 minutes we started hearing humming. No joke.
I was freaking out so I left the room and went outside..........it was scary!!!
sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:11 pm
Languge is very powerful when it comes to doing speels and the like. I know of one non human languge: Ancient. Ancient was the languge spoken by the elves of old.  

Milendil

GinSabra

7,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 4:14 pm
i feel that the importance of what language you say a spell in all depends on the words of the spell. there are many words and phrases in most languages that can not be translated completely into another language, or the meaning of the words change between the translations. because of translations a spell can have a different effect then originally intended to i believe.  
Witchcraft, Wicca, Magicks

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games