Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Roleplay Refuge

Back to Guilds

A welcome and friendly place where many Role Plays are encouraged 

Tags: Role Playing, Community 

Reply Main Forum
The OOC Hangout Thread (New people introduce yourself here!) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4119 4120 4121 4122 4123 4124 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Curiosity: How many still visit this place? Make a mark, and get some gold.
  I still exist!
View Results

bluejollyrnchers

Desirable Gekko

8,625 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:45 pm
I can understand wanting to scream at Mother Nature. It's been consistently below -15 with the windchill, sometimes dipping to -35, all week. : /  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:29 pm
User Image

Magni Prime
Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500

welian

Crew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:21 am
                  You're missing your scissoring partner, there.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:18 pm
I just realized, Magni, your town is the Groundhog Day town, isn't it?

Ah, good ole KLK. Aside from 1 thing about Ragyo, it was a pretty good series. I prefer TTGL and FLCL, though. They've done guitars, drills, and scissors, so I wonder what's next?  

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

welian

Crew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:47 pm
                  So! Peeps, especially peeps who have run roleplays before, I need your help. I see lots of guides on how to be a good roleplayer, but not so many on how to be a good game master. I've decided to make it my pet project to change that, and created a guide on running roleplays to put in Barton Town.

Google Doc WIP link

Take a glance at it (not much there now, I literally just started) and let me know what you'd like to see it address.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:04 pm
I can't claim to be an amazing Gamemaster, but I'd point out that a good roleplay is at least semi original in theme or tone, if not in overall plot and archetype.
Also, I just had a thought about an RP that could work relatively well. Something a lot more loose and cartoony than conventional roleplays. Essentially, it'd be like Asterix but in a post-apocalyptic environment, in a mixture of the above mentioned gallic comic, Fallout, maybe even adventure time. I'd highly encourage that for Adam Westing, making multiple characters. It'd only really need a minimal description, since the nature of things is being new powers as the plot demands heroes fighting against an ineffectual empire.  

Skreemer

Wild Prophet

6,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Demonic Associate 100

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:10 pm
@Welian: Not a bad idea. Reading up on general GMing advice on GnomeStew could be useful, I think, though it won't directly apply most of the time.

@Skreemer: Replied to the RP.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:19 pm
welian
You're missing your scissoring partner, there.

You missed that the pic is also a link. wink  

Alexander Magnus

Devoted Reveler

6,700 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250

Skreemer

Wild Prophet

6,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Demonic Associate 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:03 am
Yoder

That was actually really on the ball. I think that for a currently small scale RP, all of us in the Department so far are getting slowly better at playing off each other. Wishful Lily actually made me think so much more about the ramifications of what kind of world we're in. Just Sam and Otto probably would have read like True Detective's first season with Det. Hart replaced by a borderline basement dweller. But with Thirteen... that basically pushed me to consider how interesting it would be to study the emotional impacts of a supersoldier program and how badly being such a thing would affect someone.
Ooh, there's another thought I'd put to the RM guide.
Know your genre. Doing a deconstructive roleplay can be a good way to gain an appreciation for the way it works. That way, when you reconstruct something and play it straight, it can be all the more magical.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:11 pm
is so lost  

Alexander Magnus

Devoted Reveler

6,700 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250

Jenni Deer

Dangerous Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:16 pm
Skreemer
Yoder

That was actually really on the ball. I think that for a currently small scale RP, all of us in the Department so far are getting slowly better at playing off each other. Wishful Lily actually made me think so much more about the ramifications of what kind of world we're in. Just Sam and Otto probably would have read like True Detective's first season with Det. Hart replaced by a borderline basement dweller. But with Thirteen... that basically pushed me to consider how interesting it would be to study the emotional impacts of a supersoldier program and how badly being such a thing would affect someone.
Know your genre. Doing a deconstructive roleplay can be a good way to gain an appreciation for the way it works. That way, when you reconstruct something and play it straight, it can be all the more magical.

really? I hope I changed your views for better and made things more interesting and not the other way around  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:57 pm
Wishful Lily
Skreemer
Yoder

really? I hope I changed your views for better and made things more interesting and not the other way around

Oh definitely. It's what lead me to think about what it really intersects with in my interests and how the world would work.
It also prompted me to realise my main influences on it. True Detective as mentioned, Evangelion, Metal Gear Solid and John Carpenter's Apocalypse trilogy. Not as direct takes, but interpretations, elements and themes. Agent Thirteen feels like a chance at developing a female lead who's the strongest physically of her team. All in all, it's a wonderfully naturally developing narrative.  

Skreemer

Wild Prophet

6,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Demonic Associate 100

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:51 pm
welian

I thought this would get your attention.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:39 pm
@Skreemer: Glad you approve. This definitely isn't a genre I'm familiar with (only through reading SCPs and shallow knowledge of Lovecraft), so it's a learning experience. sweatdrop

@Magni: Oh, a tabletopping article! I'll have to queue that up to read when I get some time.  

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

Skreemer

Wild Prophet

6,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Demonic Associate 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:09 pm
Yoder
@Skreemer: Glad you approve. This definitely isn't a genre I'm familiar with (only through reading SCPs and shallow knowledge of Lovecraft), so it's a learning experience. sweatdrop

To be honest, that's actually part of what makes it work so well Snow-san. It makes your character play into classical anti-hero traits.  
Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4119 4120 4121 4122 4123 4124 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games