Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Roleplay Refuge

Back to Guilds

A welcome and friendly place where many Role Plays are encouraged 

Tags: Role Playing, Community 

Reply Main Forum
The OOC Hangout Thread (New people introduce yourself here!) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4204 4205 4206 4207 4208 4209 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Curiosity: How many still visit this place? Make a mark, and get some gold.
  I still exist!
View Results

Saucy Goblin

Greedy Punk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:41 am
Magni Prime
I suppose this is the time of year that is most egregious about the thefts and appropriation of the various forms of Christianity. As a non-Christian, this is the month that is most annoying as the more devout will scream "Put the Christ back in Christmas" When in truth he was never there to begin with. It was a marketing decision.

The appropriation is evident all year, but this is the worst time of it all. I try to keep my cynicism to myself, but am not always successful. That said . . .

God Jul (Good Yule) to you all.

Saturn would like a word with Christ.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:25 pm
Not really...Christ is the name, not the issue. It's the humans that stole left and right from other faiths to bolster their ranks, then demonized the competitors. Christ is fine. Christians are to blame. Not all - just those in power. Oh, and the ones that purport that they are morally obligated to "save" others by forcibly converting them.

Good to see you, old friend. I dearly hope you are doing well.  

Magni Prime
Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500

JP-JZ

Novice Vampire

6,900 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:30 pm
Poking my head in to see if anyone's around to chat!  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:05 am
Hi, Chaos!

Absolutism & tribalism, while certainly present in world religions, are unfortunately problems of human nature and thus downstream in any ideological system (it can be argued that religion is particularly adept at galvanizing them). That's why I prefer to judge religions more by their texts than by their members; not that the membership doesn't count for anything, just less than the scriptures since membership varies by time & culture whereas scriptures are much more slow-moving.  

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:52 pm
I find it laughable that more people have been killed in the name of God than any other reason... yet most religions dai the same basic message.

Don't be a d**k.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:36 pm
I have to dispute that statistic, but it's difficult to prove either way since many wars were multi-factored, and the invocation of religion was used as an excuse to rally the populace's support (as in, not justified in the principles of the religious texts themselves).

Not to say that the inverses of absolutism & tribalism, relativism & sapienism(?), are much better; all have their reason for existing and appropriate use. as is so often the case, a balance between the extremes is most often the best solution.  

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

welian

Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:05 am
Happy new year! <3  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:02 am
Same to you, Wellie. *hugs* and to all, indeed.  

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:14 pm
Happy new year, all! biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:48 pm
********, it's cold.  

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:48 pm
Yeah, nothing but cold. Blizzard today, and the worst coldness in my area is this weekend. I like the cold, but not when my house's furnace can't keep up... Thankfully we didn't lose power.
How are you & yours faring?  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:01 pm
We are making due, but I am faring worse than the family . . . mostly because I have a 40 minute commute (each way). In that time, my legs get so damn cold. Sometimes, I cannot feel my feet by the time I arrive. Under normal cold I would be okay. However, when the temps reach -13, it gets fairly unpleasant.  

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:39 pm
Yeah, this snap has been really bitter. Thankfully it will be ending this week.

Had such a malaise hanging over me this weekend; better than getting sick, but the uncertainty of generic ill feelings drives me mad.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:47 pm
I can understand. The temps here have been consistently in the negatives for over a week prior to today, and having to drive 40 minutes each way for work in those temperatures was brutal. On the other side, today it warmed up to a balmy 36, with heaps of snow billowing down for most of the day. I am not complaining. Even better is that it was just at the point of melting, so it washed the majority of salt and road grime off the car. Always a bonus.

Do you deal with seasonal affective disorder, sir? Poor weather causing such malaise? It is rather common from what I understand.  

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:30 pm
We went above 40 today. Rare for CT to be warmer than PA. The daily low temps are also more moderate. Despite the January thaw, we still have February to get through, which is often quite cold/snowy in my area at least.

I do wonder if I might, but summer humidity gets me down as well (and the intensity of the summer sun gave me migraines when i was closer to the equator in my college years). I think it has less to do w/ sunlight as it typically is and just that I don't spend as much time outside, and I enjoy taking in nature. Granted, I love snow to death, so eh? I'm depressive in general, so it's hard to find reliable patterns.  
Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4204 4205 4206 4207 4208 4209 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games