Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Roleplay Refuge

Back to Guilds

A welcome and friendly place where many Role Plays are encouraged 

Tags: Role Playing, Community 

Reply Main Forum
The OOC Hangout Thread (New people introduce yourself here!) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4208 4209 4210 4211 4212 4213 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Curiosity: How many still visit this place? Make a mark, and get some gold.
  I still exist!
View Results

welian

Crew

Eloquent Conversationalist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:12 pm
Two weeks and it'll be 2 years since my dad died. I should probably avoid Facebook for a little bit.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:10 pm
Skreemer: I'm glad that you are not deeply depressed. As for the winter storm? Sorry. I'm sending some sympathy for your snow and such, but the area I live in was hit with far worse cold and such a few weeks back. I gotcha beat . . . though your situation still sucks.

We are getting a bit of snow and such tonight, but it seems like winter is starting to lose its bluster.

Wellie: Yeah, that can be hard. Be careful . . . emotional tailspins are difficult to deal with. *hugs*  

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:46 am
Microsoft edge is bloody terrible. Insanely slow, set as default in Windows 10, and purposefully refuses to download any other browser. So, it's s**t, set s your only choice, and ensures that you cannot get anything else.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:54 pm
still struggling. Managed to copy and paste the Chrome file from my old laptop into this new one- and it works. Sorta. The system doesn't completely accept that it is there and I cannot update anything on that browser. Going to have to se what can be done. Tried importing my bookmarks into this edge thing . . . and surprise, it isn't the most user friendly or compliant thing. Hell . . . Chrome would let me right-click a folder, and give the option to open all bookmarks in that folder in separate tabs. Somehow edge doesn't think that is important. confused  

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:10 pm
We managed to only get rain & wind but still lost power friday night.

I've avoided Win10 for a lot of reasons (don't like a paid OS suddenly becoming free, forced updates, hidden telemetry/keylogging, etc...).
Never heard anyone having that issue with Edge. Can you not download the real full Chrome from your copied Chrome?  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:21 am
I'm going to have to find an alternate place. From my home internet, it will not download at all. Even when I use the nerfed browser that I cut and pasted. I needed to go ahead and find a secondary source of Internet to make sure it's not my internet provider. As it stands, the computer refuses to download anything. Not just my browser, but anyting. It will not load YouTube at anything greater than the lowest quality. It will not download an update. I'm extraordinary really frustrated, and at the point of returning the damned thing to the store and save this is not working nor is it what I'm wanting. However, if I do that, I'm essentially giving up on having a new computer. At $329 plus tax, it's too much to pay for a paperweight. But if it doesn't work, what's the point of keeping it? This is neither a rash decision nor one I want to make. However, I've had it since the 1st and I have yet to get any satisfaction out of it.  

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500

welian

Crew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:52 pm
Do you have any other devices on your home internet? Are they able to download things?

Depending on where you live, you won't get nearly your advertised internet speed, especially if you live a bit out of the way.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:32 pm
My old laptop, and my phone have no issues streaming, downloading, or being on the net in any way. The same goes for my ps3,ps4,or either my wife or child's phones. All work fine. Just this Windows 10 pos.  

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:32 pm
That sounds like a hardware defect. Does the store you bought it from provide any kind of warranty for recent purchases? Hopefully you can take advantage of that.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:06 pm
Through various research attempts and interesting attempts to fix the issue- I have come to the conclusion that the new laptop is going back to the store. I did not purchase any warranty, but it is about a week since the purchase, and we have the receipt and all parts (including original packaging). The wife isn't ready to give up letting me get a new computer . . . but after a week of fighting Windows 10 and Microsoft Edge, I am done. worse yet, a glitch in transferring files permanently deleted all my school work (about 10 years of effort) and my Fiverr works. So yeah. 11 years of writing down the drain and unrecoverable.

I'm so done with this thing. Back to the old computer. It may not be in the best of shape, but it still works.  

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:19 pm
Ohm, no, I lost some data w/ a computer transfer back in my college days; nothing so important and not nearly as much, but it stinks nonetheless.
Have you at all looked into Recuva or something similar to have a shot at recovering your data?

Even without warranty, they should at least provide store credit or a replacement if they're worth their salt as a business.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:21 am
I have returned to the new computer. Back to the old one. I couldn't return the virus protection software, so I have installed that on the older system now. It even came with a cleaner. In theory, my laptop should be running fairly well. It still doesn't have hardly any of my personal files on it, and has been thoroughly cleaned and searched for things like malware. We shall see how well it works.

As far as a recovery tool, I did try to download one, and it was willing to find the files I had lost. In order to recover them? I had to buy the damn thing. I've already lost so much money on this project, I was willing to take the loss instead of paying money for files that I may or may not ever need again. The anger was more about the principal of losing about 11 years worth of work. Admittedly, I did not try the one you link two. Perhaps I will give it a go, and see if it will recover anything without having to pay for it.  

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:54 am
Recuva is free and from the creators of the excellent CCleaner tool, if your'e familiar with it.
These tools only cost money for business-level usage.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:24 pm
Hmmm. It will be a few days, but I might have to give it a go. As much as I am ambivalent to my Fiverr files, I really was angry at losing all my school papers.  

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500

KiiingIzzy

Devoted Friend

7,700 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:12 pm
Hi, everyone! Brand new to the guild and looking to make RP friends~  
Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4208 4209 4210 4211 4212 4213 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games