Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Roleplay Refuge

Back to Guilds

A welcome and friendly place where many Role Plays are encouraged 

Tags: Role Playing, Community 

Reply Main Forum
The OOC Hangout Thread (New people introduce yourself here!) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4210 4211 4212 4213 4214 4215 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Curiosity: How many still visit this place? Make a mark, and get some gold.
  I still exist!
View Results

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:24 am
Yeah, I'm keeping my current phone specifically b/c of the full keyboard. xp

New anime season; so much to try out...  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:58 am
I admit I've been enjoying a lot of new things on Crunchyroll and even Hulu these days. It's nice to have newer shows to enjoy. The problem is I also really enjoy sticking to known favorites. Because of that, sometimes I don't watch all the new shows I intend to.

Why I hate random item generators.
*Open rng item from daily check-in.
*says 90% chance of success, hit next, win.
*next level, 75% chance of success. Fail.
*get worthless junk item for failure.

Such is my typical encounter with these stupid things. I never did anything worth a crap.  

Magni Prime
Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:38 pm
Crunchyroll gets most of the shows each season, so it's nice to mostly have 1 place to see everything. With them teaming up with Funimation and their old partnerships with some retro licensors, Crunchy has a lto of old shows too. A friend of mien is watching the original Cardcaptor Sakura since the sequel series is airing now.

With all the lootbox controversy in video gaming, it looks like the idea of legislation restricting such manipulative randomizers may not be far off, for all the good and bad that entails.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:30 am
I like what Overwatch did, removing duplicates from loot boxes. It makes me slightly more likely to get the skins I've not yet gotten.  

welian

Crew

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:39 pm
I'm debating getting a premium service to Funimation's bit. Sometimes I wanna be lazy and not read the shows I'm watching. That said, Crunchyroll has been quite good to me with my free account. The difference? I can easily tell what is free and what is not- plus, I can wait two weeks and see what was locked behind a paywall. A bit of waiting, and I'm good. Funimation is getting frustrating, though. I have a free account with them, but have no way of knowing what I cannot see. well, other than literally everything I want to watch being locked.

The lootbox controversy may fizzle out . . . game companies are starting to backtrack like mad. If they do that enough, the public will no longer pressure them, and the issue with die down. Not because it's solved, but because it will no longer be a pressing issue. I personally hate microtransactions in games. Like Jim Sterling champions: I paid $60 for a game. I paid for the full bloody thing. Now you want to nickel and dime away for more content? Then why am I paying a premium priceā€½

removing duplicates is a good start, I will admit to that. However, it still chaps my a** that they would put so much content into RNG. Paid RNG.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:20 pm
Funimation's user experience needs a ton of work, and they've undergone several site redesigns.
I've been very content with my Crunchyroll premium; at $60/year, that's less than buying 2 anime series a year. Some of their retro series they bulk added are also entirely behind the paywall, so it's worth it; unfortunately those are often also the shows I want dubbed the most.
VRV (combined Crunchy+Funi service) is weird right now, b/c it doesn't have all of either of their catalogs, and it costs more.

Good point, a fast enough retreat will leave the idea shelved.
I don't agree w/ Jim's "All DLC is bad" (love me some expansion packs) & "even free cosmetic randomization is bad in multiplayer" (have vs have not argument) stances, but almost every other practice he dissects i do.

Oh, glad Overwatch did at least that much (i think before you had to turn duplicates into a very inefficient currency that you could buy what you wanted with, but i could be misremembering).  

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:29 pm
Again, I have yet to see a single thing I want to watch on Funimation that isn't locked behind a paywall. They are rapidly losing clout with me, and the chances of a premium account are dwindling. Their loss. I would relish the idea of more anime at my disposal to listen to as I do other things- but if they can't respond to my question in any way for over a week, and if they can't make it clear what I need to pay for . . . then I won't bother. Thank you for the information on VRV, though. I had been considering them. To learn they combine both services without even using all of either is a rather significant red flag with me. A bundle is no use if you don't get everything.

I don't believe that the point is that all DLC is bad. On-disc DLC is bad. Carving off essential parts of campaigns for DLC is hideous. These are the egregious sins that really give DLC a bad name. Examples of good DLC include the expanded ending/explanation for Mass Effect 3. Fallout 3 had superb DLC. The problem really comes in recent years about how absurdly much of our game content has been labeled as things to pay additional money for. Cosmetic color changes are one thing. Pay to win, the "true ending" or game-breaking content are another.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:00 pm
Crunchyroll & Funimation have put some big chunks of their libraries on Steam, but user reviews indicate sub par viewing/listening experience (or it could be the audiovideophiles nitpicking, not sure). Download-to-own is as of yet still a hope; whoever does it first will dominate the market.

During some of his more heated tirades he either inadvertently advocates for that position or drops the context in his proclamations at such a time thus leading to that possible misunderstanding on my part.
I've actually not purchased Deus Ex Mankind Divided b/c the DLC is single use in that you have to buy it again if you want the DLC on another save file, which is hot garbage.  

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:51 pm
Believe it or not, I do not have a steam account. My computer (laptop) is years upon years old, and even then was not a gaming model. It works for net usage, writing, and storing interesting imagery . . . but aside from warcraft III and Starcraft (both one and two) I don't really push it. For now, I'm just mildly content with the streaming service. My only current issue is a result of the binge nature of entertainment anymore. Having to wait for the next episodes is painful. Both HeroAca and Franxx are so good, and yet I am forced to wait for content.

Like any other version of friendship or adulation, I do not have to agree with every stance he has to enjoy his content. We both agree that he can be a bit extreme at times, but that is part of his appeal. The rage/outrage of "what will he say or do next."

Thus far, I have not refused to buy a game based on the DLC content- but I buy games so infrequently that such really doesn't say much.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:11 pm
Blizzard sure knows how to make a good game when they deice to expend the effort.

I prefer a middleground between binging & weekly, like Toonami airing a new ep of DBZ every weekday back in the 90s.

Franxx certainly has a lot of promise and has been enjoyable thus far; now let's see if Trigger can make it something truly special.
HeroAca continues to be a fantastic shonen; personally I feel it outclasses the entire comic book industry, but I might possibly be the tiniest bit biased toward anime.

You might enjoy Megalo Box, Golden Kamuy, & Persona 5, all also on Crunchy.

Arigato, the ice throne is a nice transition between the monochrome & blue elements.  

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:35 pm
If nothing else, Blizzard are masters at storytelling. I don't even play WoW, but i love the videos... particularly this of Illidan.

Franxx is really getting dramatic! Hero Aca is really one of my all-time favorite. I'm more than a bit biased.

Ive seen bits of MegaloBox, and sports are not really my thing. Persona 5 is a possibility, and I don't know golden kamui.

You are most welcome. Given your penchant for snow and ice items, and that I has no use for it, I thought you'd enjoy it. Glad to be ood use, my friend.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:25 pm
Yes, the storyline of War Craft 3 really gripped me as a young teen (that & TES 3 Morrowind).

I'm glad I didn't say anything, b/c I realized you're one week behind me on all currently-airing me.

I don't tend to like standard sports fair (team/ball sports), but I've really liked the more alternative ones like shogi(chess), swimming, ballroom dancing, boxing, & fishing.  

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:25 pm
I keep watching a video from WoW called the Rejection of the Gift. In it, Illidan has been found and brought to some diefic individual. Calling itself the light, it tries to remake Illidan into a new form claiming destiny. Every step of the way, the demonic one rejects what is said and done. Fighting the force seeking to tear him apart and remake him as he screams how he will not submit. It is interesting since it is an evil-looking character rejecting one that professes light over and over. His points are beyond valid, and he was right to fight so hard . . . because the light was doing nothing less than something evil for it's own ends.

I don't mind spoilers at all. Truth be told, I see spoilers for things all the time. Hell, I already know the people that will die in Infinity War, and that is one of my most anticipated movies ever. I won't get to see it for some time yet.

I just was never physically inclined. Too lazy, I suppose. However, Chess is a game of strategy and mental skill. Something I deeply appreciate. The others you mentioned don't grab me nearly as much. My lack of ability and interest combined into something that is beyond my range. They are understood, the drama, the skills, the competition are all things that make sense . . . just not something that grabs me. Never has.  
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:16 pm
Illidan is such a great character; I loved his arcs in WC 2 & 3.

While I certainly understand why most societies usually conflate light with good and dark with evil, light and dark archetypically represent order and chaos; too much of either is corruption.
The angel/demon dichtomy has been used to mean a great many things in cultures:
> Overt/Known vs Covert/Unknown (most closely related to Light/Dark and accurate from the greco-roman linguistic origins of the English words angel [announcer] & demon [influencer])
> Puritanism vs Libertinism (elitism vs no-standards)
> Reformation vs Separation (less common)

With regard to prophecy, I love what Morrowind (and to a lesser extent, Harry Potter) did, where maybe not everybody is a candidate for chosen one, but candidacy is merely the first step; it is up to them to exercise their potential and be the candidate that fulfills said prophecy ("God helps those who help themselves" is an idiom for a reason). I also love prophecy due to time travel shenanigans (Legacy of Kain), but that's a big topic we both gush over.

Fair enough. The shogi anime I was referring to is March Comes Like a Lion. It spend a great deal of time on depression, which makes for good drama.  

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 1:12 pm
Whoo, these overnights at work make time just melt away and lose track way too easily! stressed sweatdrop

I don't know very much about Illidan for WoW. I remember him primarily through Warcraft III, and then the cinematics on YouTube from said WoW. I love his character archetype, and I think the "Refusal of the Gift" clip I mentioned is truly a favorite thing from the franchise. The Lords of War series is also there, and the Gul'Dan Harbringers episode. If nothing else, Blizzard is a master at storytelling.

"The Chosen One" is such a cliche thing that it is easy to overuse it. What you describe is interesting as far as simply being a prerequisite. Normally, people view such things as fatalism. The concept that things will happen because of who you are and being so special. I prefer the idea that things 'could be.' That many aspects need to fall in line. Legacy of Kain, yes gushing, is a great example. The end of Raziel's complete arc only happens when literally centuries of experience led him to understand that things had to happen for a reason. Only when he accepted his fate did it occur. He had every opportunity to avoid it, to escape it, and even took steps to find out how to not be imprisoned in that blade. From an objective standpoint, he only went in it when he wanted to, and to help Kain. A beautiful endpoint for his role in the story.

Gods, I wish the story had continued onward.

I occasionally look for new anime, but perhaps I am just too picky. *shrugs* Started watching "Your Lie in April" despite it being a sad story and just kinda meh'ed out. sweatdrop  
Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4210 4211 4212 4213 4214 4215 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games