Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Roleplay Refuge

Back to Guilds

A welcome and friendly place where many Role Plays are encouraged 

Tags: Role Playing, Community 

Reply Main Forum
The OOC Hangout Thread (New people introduce yourself here!) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4215 4216 4217 4218 4219 4220 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Curiosity: How many still visit this place? Make a mark, and get some gold.
  I still exist!
View Results

Magni Prime
Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:08 am
Curious....

As for tabletop, I think 5hat is far more player than system. The four roles you mention seem to be well within a paladin's role. You just need a party to adopt it. It would be interesting to have them be followers of different Gods, though.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:47 am
It can definitely be done with existing systems, though most don't let you (or don't reward you, or even penalize you) for specializing so heavily, even w/ the party synergy.
Never liked how evil clerics/paladins can only harm and good ones can only heal; since when do bad guys not heal their allies/minions, eh? and how is it evil to magically harm something trying to kill you (purposefully ignoring the whole "negative energy is inherently evil" shtick, that is)?

Yes, having them of different faiths could make for quite the memorable campaign, but it's also a hard sell of a setup since Paladin is the most-hated class in the traditional lineup (people play them poorly & apparently most DMs don't let players play a paladin of other alignments [alignment restrictions, like on Barbarian & Monk never made sense to me since there are many backstory & gameplay justifications for a mechanical chassis on a nonstandard character]).

I'm pretty hyped for the upcoming PathFinder 2 free public playtest release on 8/2 (previews are at the Paizo Blog, if interested).
DnD 5e is a nice step forward from DnD 3.5, but PF2 is looking to be a huge leap forward to PF1 (PF1 being the spiritual successor to DnD 3.5 when WotC made DnD 4e).  

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:08 am
That reminds me of something from the days when I would tabletop. We were playing Palladium Fantasy, and there was a lot of freedom there. For instance, clerics were able to be clerics of light or dark for a deity. In this case, we were fighting the Drau (non-copyright-infringing versions of the Drow), and they worshipped a spider goddess named Tark. Now. She was undoubtedly evil, leading the Drau to a life of revenge and violence. That said, she could grant her power to do anything other gods could, thus you could have a priest/cleric/paladin of Tark going around healing and blessing people. blaugh

I don't really recall any benefits or punishments for single-class parties in any system now that I think about it. It would be more of a challenge, both for the party and the DM, though. Still, I'd be game for it.

i've not been able to tabletop in literal years now. No friends to play with me. I was going to get my daughter to coerce some of her friends into a group with me running, but that never came to pass. I wouldn't know the versions of DnD from one another, and any other system than Palladium or BESM I'd have to learn from scratch.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:05 am
I loved re-reading Palladium when it was made available in digital format; it was a fun system for however little of it I ever experienced in-play.
In d20 systems clerics can be evil but not paladins, unless you do the separate blackguard class which is reserved specifically for the trope of the paladin falling to the dark side.
Exactly, any alignment (with the possible exception of Chatoic Evil) would likely want & use healing.

Doing a single class party would be much like doing a single class run of a class-based Final Fantasy game; you just have to diversify within that framework sufficiently (provided said system/game allows you to do so well enough).

A shame your daughter's game fizzled.
Pathfinder 2's public playtest released today. I like the very simple way they have handled multiclassing; single class parties are quite viable in this if they splash into different multiclasses; and you don't even need a healer if a character has invested enough in the Medicine skill.  

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:13 pm
Music Just because I think it is truly epic!

I was always fond of the percentage system for rolls. It made sense to me.

I still have the game concept locked in my head, just like my Shifters (were-creatures) RP that I spent a year on. It seems I was never destined to run a game efficiently. Stories are my forte, and as such I enjoy telling them. Playing them? That seems to not be my best strength.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:03 pm
Hello friendos.
Some brief points. I have recently begun playing D and D, fifth edition. I am also currently writing out a setting for my cohort. It is essentially Mordor as postwar Germany with Planescape influences.
I recently wrote a new story and I could do with eyes on it that aren't from my zine.  

Skreemer

Wild Prophet

6,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Demonic Associate 100

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:24 am
@GodOfWar: While I don't like most Metal, I do enjoy Symphonic Metal & Power Metal; that was pretty good!
I also love the way they interpreted the dark elves in that game, with bug-like wings. It makes them feel very fey-like, which is often de-emphasized in many interpretations..

Hi Skreemer!
Nice that you're gotten into tabletopping & setting writing.
Sure, post away, whether here or a new thread.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:34 am
Metal is my preference, though with so many sub-genres of it, that is like saying I like to drink liquid. Metal has diverged into so many different types and subtypes that it can be mind-numbing to find something you like among the hordes. That said, the God of War inspired songs by that artist are really quite good.

Feel free to share, Skreemer . . . you are always welcome to do so.  

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Skreemer

Wild Prophet

6,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Demonic Associate 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:43 pm
Well, the random number gods were not in my partys favour and we had a total party kill during Lost mines of Phandelver. So now I have to write at least act 1 of the campaign this week.

As well, enjoy my work

An Epidemic of Blankness

An Epidemic of Blankness

I remember when I first became familiar with them, these non-spaces that have slowly begun to pervade our lives. Walking as a child around a shopping centre with friends once, I got separated and ended up behind it. The rear car park, the dumpsters. That burning feeling, which led my group to dub them burning places. There was nothing there and though it occupied space and had all the trappings of a real place, but nothing that truly felt like one. The overwhelming blankness brought me to my knees until my friends found me and returned me to my hometown.
As my life went on and I left my small town my awareness of them grew with their increasing pervasion in society. It was subtle at first, an oversight in a buildings design leaving part of it to be nothing but bare concrete and air conditioning fans. A car park overgrown in an otherwise quiet part of town. Corridors within a block of flats which seemed to stretch on far longer than the apartments they served could contain. I didn’t think much of it for the longest time, other than our architects and city planners must be growing more negligent.
Eventually this state of affairs changed, notably not for the better. Buildings slowly began to seem secondary to supporting these voids within spaces for life. The facades of the buildings took up gradually less space over time, the burning places expanding. You had less space to truly be, less to see, less actual space with function past the seeming maintenance of the internal structure. What need could any building truly have for all this infrastructure of waste? It turned inwards too. Places of business first, the corridors and maintenance tunnels expanding, replacing rooms of use with their tangles of cables and blank walls. People became stressed, though unable to elaborate on what might be causing it.
Once the world of public spaces became subsumed by these ab-places the affliction turned to our homes. First the insides of apartments themselves, long corridors and storage cupboards, cabinets of utility equipment leading to nowhere, bedrooms and living rooms vanishing when people were not gazing upon them or using them. We took refuge in the suburbs and townhouses, only to find this horror following us. People grew more desperate, scrabbling even for sofas taken from waiting rooms and lobbies as beds where they could get them, water coolers, network access points and power sockets jerry-rigged into service by brute force driven by a need to survive in this true urban wasteland. We lost everything that we could not carry into these places, books, clothing, food and our dignity.
We knew from what chances we had at getting online that it was not just this city afflicted, that it was all cities. No one knew what was happening in the smaller settlements, but we assumed they had fallen to this nightmare already in their own ways. As it went further, first animals began to vanish. Then plants. The elderly. Children. The disabled. The careless. As everyone grew more exhausted and our groups grew smaller we knew that we could no longer risk sleeping without anyone staying awake.
My group is down to it’s last few stragglers, weary and terrified in a numb fashion. Every few hours the space we have grows more desolate, we feel the vestiges of our humanity burned away. Had we any resources left to kill ourselves we would, but there are not even windows to hurl ourselves from. We have been in this warren of utility rooms and corridors for two months now. Everything surrounding us is blank off-white walls, faded blue grey office carpet. Occasionally we might emerge into a courtyard or rooftop or basement car park, snatch glimpses of the slate grey sky without any true access to it. I feel what memories left fading now. Soon my mind will be gone, like my motionless fellows around me. They are burned out, like the strip lights dying down, like the world itself. I…  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:54 pm
Sorry for the delay. Goodness time flies w/ work & family...

I like it! Reminds me of a lot of Junji Ito with the unsettling aspect growing, with a Stanley Parable aesthetic.  

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:46 pm
That's not bad, Skreemer . . . It makes me think of Doctor Who (and that is meant as a high compliment). The Vashta Nerada come to mind. It is interesting enough to make me want to know more. The causes, the people left in the group, an earnest investment in your tale. Very well thought out with suspense and just enough details to make one think. Like any good sci-fi, it is just fictional enough to be interesting while being grounded enough to feel like it just might happen.

Sorry for the silence. Drama and work things have been eating up my time like a mad mug.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:57 am
Lurking...  

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:38 pm
ninja  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:20 am
getting that same old urge again. To pass on this place . . . and just leave. I know I won't, been here too long. Still, nobody talks, nobody stays (with one or two exceptions). Kind of a why bother sort of thing. neutral  

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:32 pm
Sorry, my weekends are busy nowadays as well; my house feels like a revolving door as of late - so many nurses & much entertaining visitors.

If you have Discord, I wouldn't mind switching to that, honestly; it's a very good chat app.  
Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4215 4216 4217 4218 4219 4220 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games