Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Roleplay Refuge

Back to Guilds

A welcome and friendly place where many Role Plays are encouraged 

Tags: Role Playing, Community 

Reply Main Forum
The OOC Hangout Thread (New people introduce yourself here!) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4220 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Curiosity: How many still visit this place? Make a mark, and get some gold.
  I still exist!
View Results

Magni Prime
Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:04 am
I have played and enjoyed Final Fantasy 10 on several occasions. My only problem with it is one section about three-quarters of the way through the game. You end up fighting a minor boss battle, but there is a cheap attack that causes your characters a new Affliction that hasn't come up yet. It's a status effect of zombie. Now, you still retain your character, but any attempt to heal causes damage. As you might imagine, this becomes problematic in a boss fight. The only way I am able to get past it is to grind the local monsters like crazy. That gets me raw materials for the one character in my party that can make special weapons to create weapons that make you zombie proof. Then, you can take on the boss without too much worry. It is still difficult, but doable. The problem is, it's really boring to grind in that area. The last time I tried played Final Fantasy 10 I got to that point, and fizzled out. It's still a good game, but that part just was too much for me.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:11 pm
I know this is a long shot. But I was hoping that people would join a guild to roleplay with.

Its here if anyone is interested. I hope some people join.  

Saucy Goblin

Greedy Punk

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:26 am
Not the biggest Dragonball fan, I fear. Sorry, Chaos.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:24 am
Sadly the longer & bigger the game, the more likely there will be an odd bump in the difficulty curve or some piece of bad game design. Zombie status has always been weird in FFs.

Sorry, Chaos, no time to RP.  

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:05 am
Very true. I hate that it ruins the game for me, but it does. The game is fun, and has a lot of content that made me smile. However, with that roadblock it becomes too high a difficulty spike. Just kills it for me.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:11 am
I can't argue, as there are so many games I like but have never finished, likely due to such issues that I instead recall as "losing interest".

Hollow Knight 2 was just announced. Much hype.  

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:32 am
A difficulty spike is often the most likely culprit of losing interest. The only game I can honestly say I ever lost interest in was FF IX. Many rant and rave about 9, but it looked too chibi and cutesy for my tastes. Then, after playing the first hour, perhaps half hour . . . I walked away and never picked it up again. I lost the will to keep going.

Instead, FF X and similar just had an absurd difficulty spike. It required a specific item or to grind for levels, or something like that for game mechanics as opposed to story or sensical progression. That detracts from the game and makes it a chore to move past that point.

As for hollow knight, I'm aware of the first one, and had heard of the sequel being announced. To date, I've neither played nor seen much of it. I'm curious enough to not dismiss it, but not much more than that yet.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:54 pm
Pre-rendered backgrounds are a huge turnoff visually for me, so I can barely stand to play FFs 7-9. I';m glad that time in graphics has past, though I didn't mind the look of towns in Bravely Default, which did the same thing, so maybe it's an issue of fidelity and perception of depth.

I do have a spare copy of Hollow Knight, if interested, though it's PC.  

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:50 am
Prerendered backgrounds may seem a bit lazy now, but it was a hell of a shortcut. A high quality picture could save weeks of programming. Back in the era of 7, it wasn't nearly as bad. Look at the vaporware that is 7's remake. The work involved despite knowing exactly what to do is staggering.

I appreciate your generosity, good sir. I truly do. However I dont have a decent system, and couldn't accept. Without any real drive to play, it might be a waste. I have no wish to be wasteful or ungrateful. Thank you, though. Besides, I dont play on PC hardly ever.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:56 am
I definitely recognize why they did it, but I disliked it even back then (and earlier, as Donkey Kong's pre-rendering to me didn't look good either, nor did the type of pre-rending Diablo & similar PC games did).
Granted, without nostalgia, the 32/64-bit generation of 3d is pretty hard to look at nowadays, which is at least part of why the PS1 classic, even if it didn't have any issues, wouldn't have done as well as the NS/SNES classics. I believe it's why Nintendo has hesitated to make a N66 classic, as current rumors circle more around GB/GBA classics.

All right, no problem.  

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:29 am
You have a valid point. The infancy of the 3D gaming era had some laughably horrible graphics. Rebuilding might as well be remaking it. Look at RE2. The graphics were horrible and blocky, filled with huge pixels on the 3d mapped surfaces. Enter the remake, looking nearly nothing like what once was, and all the better for it. There was nothing remotely interesting enough to cost me $100 or even $60 at this point. I'm going to pass. The only reason I want a SNES classic is for games that look good for what they are. Super Mario RPG is the biggest draw. It has pseudo-3d, but never tried to be all that immersive.

Which dovetails into something that has me upset. Playstation Now, their gaming streaming service has recently announced the idea of downloads. With a subscription, you can download a game and play it off your system. That sounds very good to me . . . I'd get the infamous games because I miss the hell out of them. They are too old to be marketable as new releases, but too new to look for a remaster/remake. They are on Now, though. The catch? As soon as you let the $20 a month subscription lapse, downloaded or not they lock. You cannot play them. I don't want to pay $20 in perpetuity for games that are up to and including 10 years old. I'd buy a collection. Hell, I just want a physical copy of the game to hold onto to avoid this locking issue.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:36 am
RE2, combined with other recent moves from Capcom, have restored a lot of my faith in the company. Also glad to see 1P games still going strong.

Game streaming is only less expensive for people whose only hobby is gaming & lack many RL responsibilities. For everybody else, it's a waste of money, but publishers don't cater to the majority of us adult gamers since we're not the "whales" as it were.  

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:46 pm
I'm so broke, I don't even count as a minnow. What's worse, with minimal time to spend on myself, I don't even get to play the games I do get a hold of anymore. crying  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:10 pm
I know I have a lot more time than you do due to lack of spouse & children, but I feel it, too; time truly is the most valuable of resources...  

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:13 am
its not a competition, old friend. That said, family does drain a lot of time. Especially now for me. My older is going off to college soon. On one hand, that is the completion of the job. She is ready to start her own life now. But- she is my best friend. I hate the idea of losing her to the world, and that is precisely what this feels like. So, as we deal with her needs becoming an adult, our younger is having meltdowns. I wanna say it is typical 14yo stuff, but she is so different from her sister. It is flying blind with a child more emo than I have ever known. That is a hell of a time sink.  
Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4220 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff