Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
TELL US UR FAV CRAFT BOOK? Refer one to us! Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

=^-^= Have u found a fav craft book yet? Good enough to refer to others!?
  yes =^-^=
  no
  might XD
  thatz a big list
View Results

NightRainSpirit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:02 am
TELL US UR FAV CRAFT BOOK? Refer one to us!

Basically, this chatroom is for people to tell us a really good craft book that they think others may like. Tell us the title & the author if u can, & why in the world ur telling us about it. I can't spend my entire life sitting in Barnes n Noble reading through each book one by one till I find a really good one to buy....gosh that place is so unorganized in the Knitting section.
But it would be nice to here some offers from others, and it doesn't have to be knitting accourse, just a suggestion.

Reasons for this: (or an example)
Basically, if during ur B-Day or X-Mas, if somebody wants to buy u a book of somesort for ya, u can look at this list of good books to get, pick one and see if u get. But hey, if u got no idea what to ask for, u can always look at what somebody else would ask for that fits ur likings. =^-^=

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:06 am
If ur just starting out knitting and want to learn almost completely all of the basics and have a couple of patterns on hand to do! Then I refer the the Knitting Handbook:
Stitch'n b***h

&

KnitGrrl

NightRainSpirit

Zahra Ovaci

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:53 pm
Heirloom Knitting by Sharon Miller! It's more awesome than should be allowable by law. You can check out her style of stuff on her website:

http://www.heirloom-knitting.co.uk/

Of course, there are other essential craft books:

The Alden Amos Big Book of Handspinning
Sweater Design in Plain English by Maggie Righetti
Color in Spinning
Folk Socks (anything, really, by Nancy Bush)
Socks, Socks, Socks
Anything by Elizabeth Zimmerman
Gossamer Webs
A Treasury of Knitting Patterns, by Barbara Walker (there are three or four of these, all worthwhile)
Scarf Style
Knitting in the Old Way by Gibson-Roberts
Knitters Handbook by Montse Stanley
The Art of Fair Isle Knitting by Ann Feitelson
The Sweater Workshop by Jacqueline Fee
The Knitter's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns by Ann Budd
A Gathering of Lace  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:13 pm
thatz a lot of books! xd  

NightRainSpirit

[Grendel]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:32 pm
Generation T: 101 Ways to Transform a T-Shirt is a great for easy ways to change your wardrobe

And at the minute I'm also drooling over Fabric art journals whee  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:39 am
I've made two projects from Kirsten Cowan's Irresistible Knits, and have a third in progress. She has a wonderful sweater style, and the projects range from easy to experienced. Also, Hot Knits is another sweater book, this one strictly for ladies' sweaters, that has some amazing projects in it. A friend of mine wanted me to knit her the coat from that book, and I've already made a beautiful fair isle sweater. It's companion book, Hip Knits, is one I've been meaning to get. If you can't find a book at B&N, try a used bookstore. I got both the afore-mentioned books at Half-price Books. Used bookstores often have older books that you don't see anymore too, which can be good if a classic is out of print. Those you need to especially flip through, to see if you like the styles. I've found a lot of old bad 80s sweater patterns in those books. sweatdrop Some are great finds, though - and you're saving trees and money at the same time!  

gemini6184

Cyanna

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:22 pm
NightRainSpirit
If ur just starting out knitting and want to learn almost completely all of the basics and have a couple of patterns on hand to do! Then I refer the the Knitting Handbook:
Stitch'n b***h

I second this as that was the book I used. XD

I love Stoller's writing style. You feel like you're being taught by your sister or a good friend instead of an instructor or your grandmother.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:26 pm
Cyanna
NightRainSpirit
Stitch'n b***h

I second this as that was the book I used. XD

I love Stoller's writing style. You feel like you're being taught by your sister or a good friend instead of an instructor or your grandmother.
Me too! She writes the way u would as if the person was sitting directly beside u.  

NightRainSpirit

Shara_Lunison

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:40 pm
I've been using The Doll Book to make some fabric dolls. It has a lot on the history of dollmaking, and lots of patterns in the back that you can copy to make the dolls and various period clothing for them. It's really neat.

I'll post the dolls I've been making in another thread when I've finished making them some clothes. lol  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:51 pm
Shara_Lunison
I've been using The Doll Book to make some fabric dolls. It has a lot on the history of dollmaking, and lots of patterns in the back that you can copy to make the dolls and various period clothing for them. It's really neat.

I'll post the dolls I've been making in another thread when I've finished making them some clothes. lol

Can't wait, I never was good at making 3D Dolls, but I was good at making paper dolls, I just had to use fancy scrapbook paper to make unique dresses, but urs sound way better since they're fabric made. xd  

NightRainSpirit

Shara_Lunison

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:40 pm
NightRainSpirit
Shara_Lunison

Can't wait, I never was good at making 3D Dolls, but I was good at making paper dolls, I just had to use fancy scrapbook paper to make unique dresses, but urs sound way better since they're fabric made. xd

I'm actually replacing a pair of paper dolls I made for one of my professors. The originals were made out of cardstock, but I actually sewed together simple clothes for them. If they were real people, I think I would have broken every bone in their bodies by the time I finished getting those clothes on. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:45 pm
Ok, Another good knitting book for beginners, that includes a starter kit is:
Knitting
By Anne Akers Johnson
It's part of the Klutz Creation Series, and it works really well.
It gives a few simple patterns, Cell Phone Sock, Scarf, Hat, that kind of thing, and it's very visual for all you visual learners.  

Story From The Stars

2,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200

Blue-eyes-green

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:53 pm
For starting knitting I love The Yarn Girl's Guide to Simple Knits and Stitch'n'b***h (such an awesome book) Simple Knits is mostly sweater patterns with a few scarves hats and blankets thrown in for good measure. It's really good if you want to make simple wardrobe-basic sweaters (I've made three from it and I love them) It also have patterns for guy sweaters, which can be a bit of a rarity in some knitting books.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:11 pm
KnitGrrl 1 & 2

Those are really good! I like some of the unique designs that nobody else has thought of publishing a pattern for. Like the eggroll & the wonton pattern.  

NightRainSpirit

Kanhoro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:20 am
NightRainSpirit
TELL US UR FAV CRAFT BOOK? Refer one to us!

Basically, this chatroom is for people to tell us a really good craft book that they think others may like. Tell us the title & the author if u can, & why in the world ur telling us about it. I can't spend my entire life sitting in Barnes n Noble reading through each book one by one till I find a really good one to buy....gosh that place is so unorganized in the Knitting section.
But it would be nice to here some offers from others, and it doesn't have to be knitting accourse, just a suggestion.

Reasons for this: (or an example)
Basically, if during ur B-Day or X-Mas, if somebody wants to buy u a book of somesort for ya, u can look at this list of good books to get, pick one and see if u get. But hey, if u got no idea what to ask for, u can always look at what somebody else would ask for that fits ur likings. =^-^=

i do not think this is ierally a crft books but it is mainly for people who know how to knit and other thingslike that for knitters and very helpful fast too for knitters and things like that, i really liek this book, but its manly on knitting and not on crafting so sorry about that, but all in al its a good bok.
oh sorry for not typing the titesl i should have doe that in the frsit place:
stephanie pearl-mcphee
kitting rules!
there you go, i am jsut in a typy mood togeth XD.  
Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff