Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!

Back to Guilds

Reply The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!
How DID Deep Thought get 42... I've got that answer... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

squidocaster

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 3:41 pm
Many cult-geeks have rattled their brains trying to figure out Deep Thought's calculations, and I've found it. (The cult-geek to end all cult-geeks.)

Life, the Universe, and Everything.
1 conjunction + 1 article. (=2)
3 nouns.
28 letters in all.
Divide 28 by 2. (=14)
Multiply the 14 by 3. (=42!!!)

It only took my a few minutes to come up with it, too. I wonder if Douglas Adams actually got 42 that way...  
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 3:45 pm
hmm...*Turns into a new reporter* So how does it feel to be smarter then a computer? 7 million times smarter.  

Cracovin

squidocaster

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 3:52 pm
Cracovin
hmm...*Turns into a new reporter* So how does it feel to be smarter then a computer? 7 million times smarter.

Well... it does hurt the brain...

I suppose it also means I have more spare time than a computer. stare  
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 4:36 pm
<3 Someone actually told me that once, not in the same way but almost the same way.

You know I love this book so much but I could never sit down and figure this out. You are indeed my hero!

<3

Aojiroi

Polan

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 5:49 pm
Wow. Good work. And once more, laziness of myself has proved efficient in getting me answers anyways. whee  
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 8:00 am
if you reversed everything in that probablem, would that not give you the untimate question?  

aaadamaa

squidocaster

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 10:48 am
aaadamaa
if you reversed everything in that probablem, would that not give you the untimate question?

Awright. Next bit of spare time I've got, I'll figure that out. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 12:54 pm
But dosn't it say in Restuarant at the End of the Universe that the question is 6 multiplied by 9? I know that it dosn't equal 42, but thats what it said. I dunno, I might be wrong, because I only just finished that book.  

Starrys

phantasmic kacaphony

Cosmic Camper

14,125 Points
  • Planetary Technician 150
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 8:22 pm
Starrys
But dosn't it say in Restuarant at the End of the Universe that the question is 6 multiplied by 9? I know that it dosn't equal 42, but thats what it said. I dunno, I might be wrong, because I only just finished that book.
It does, but when I first read it, I didn't even realize that 6 X 9 isn't even 42. I think Douglas just threw it in there for the hell of it. I don't know razz  
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 8:40 pm
This site has a lot of different ways you can come up with 42.  

wakusei

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200

MST3Kakalina

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 11:46 am
42 is 6 x 9 in base 13 (though that's pretty much a coincidence, as "no one makes jokes in base 13.")

i imagine he just picked a number that was fun to say, and fun to imagine a computer's voice saying.

but yours is quite an ingenius method. eek i don't know if i would have come up with it.  
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 11:54 am
I heard somewhere (I think it was on the H2G2 BBC DVD) that DNA and someone else actually sat down and figured out what is the funniest number of them all, and decided it was 42.  

Tinnumir

squidocaster

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 12:23 pm
Tinnumir
I heard somewhere (I think it was on the H2G2 BBC DVD) that DNA and someone else actually sat down and figured out what is the funniest number of them all, and decided it was 42.

...That's probably more accurate than what I came up with.  
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:32 pm
I thought he just picked it because it was funny. You guys are over thinking this.  

Daska

J.I.N.X

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 3:17 pm
Daska
I thought he just picked it because it was funny. You guys are over thinking this.

3nodding yeah i think you are...

its interesting though, alot of thinking- it hurts my head to think about thinking that hard about something *scratches head* yeah i said that right

The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games