Reply ----::::The FISH Tank::::----
Guppies!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Magic Pimpbus

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 8:21 am
I have decided to, when my other fish die, convert my 10 gallon into a guppy tank.

I already have 4 guppy males at this time.

Is it best to have all males? Or should I put some females? Would they fight? D: The males I have right now get along okay. Just one is a little nippy, that's all. I dunno what to do...

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 9:56 am
yeah, they should be ok, the males might quible for females though, the only problem you would probably have is BABIES!!!

I just had 1 male and female swordtail and I was bombarded by baby fish, and when they come you will have to take them out and put them in another contaner if you wanna save them, but the good news is that most petstores will give you store credit for half grown baby fish...

so good luck, I think you will do just great with a guppy tank, but if you dont want babies either get a divider or dont get females cause they WILL breed sweatdrop

hopefully this helps you  

SquishyAngeh
Crew

Jonathan_McCim
Crew

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 10:17 am
I'll try that with my Rainbow Sharks if they breed, which I think one is in the process.  
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 4:40 pm
The only way to have non-multiplying guppies is to have all males. There's no particular agression amongst males, even if there are females, but there are always a couple of agressive nutballs.

[I found a female lyretail in the store, I'm so lucky, they only sell males (on purpose.) heart I don't know if I want to breed or not, it seems like a waste not to with this chance, but I don't want to over-overload my tank. sweatdrop ]  

Kansai_Gal

Aged Browser

SquishyAngeh
Crew

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 10:28 am
you should call around to the petstores in your community and see if they
take babies, then ask if they do store credit......

if you have a petco around or a petsmart they sell baby fish food, if you are planning on having baby fish I recommend you get that cause it stunts thier growth if you just crush up flake food.

anyway, petstores usually take your baby fish cause they try to get in good quality fish so they love to take local fish. but make sure they are healthy, I recomend buying a small like half gallon or 1 gallon tank.....2 gallons even better to put your pregnant mother in, and feed her very well, make sure there is some kind of plant in the tank, those little breeding grass things work good....that way the babies can hide, then remove the mother.

I think everyone should breed live berers at sometime, it is very fun raising the babies, especially if you get a new tank and hand pick a male and female to breed.. xd  
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 1:34 pm
From what I understand about guppies, if you have males and females they have to be at approximately a 1:3 ratio (respectively), but I don't think it's a problem if you just have a pair.  

supercoolbandgeek

SquishyAngeh
Crew

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 9:41 am
I think any ration is probably ok...but if I were you I would get some breeding grass *unless you already have some* from walmart...it comes in a box type dealy and it looke like a bunch of plastic grass, but it says breeding grass.....you just put it in the gravel like ordinary plastic plants, but if they have babies the babies have a great place to hide....but the best part is that walmart sells it for alittle under 2 bucks, I think it is like 1.60 something....

I would also recomend getting either some liquid fry food *they have both livebering and egg laying, you obviously want livebering* or some of the first bites crushed food.....you can crush food yourself but it usually does not get small enough.....anyway they sell that stuff at petco and petsmart.

sorry about going off like this, that is just my recomendation if you are going to have males and females together, cause no matter the ratio at least 1 female is going to get knocked up, cause the males are going to get excited twisted LOL  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:36 pm
DUUUMB!!
you should call around to the petstores in your community and see if they
take babies, then ask if they do store credit......

if you have a petco around or a petsmart they sell baby fish food, if you are planning on having baby fish I recommend you get that cause it stunts thier growth if you just crush up flake food.

anyway, petstores usually take your baby fish cause they try to get in good quality fish so they love to take local fish. but make sure they are healthy, I recomend buying a small like half gallon or 1 gallon tank.....2 gallons even better to put your pregnant mother in, and feed her very well, make sure there is some kind of plant in the tank, those little breeding grass things work good....that way the babies can hide, then remove the mother.

I think everyone should breed live berers at sometime, it is very fun raising the babies, especially if you get a new tank and hand pick a male and female to breed.. xd

i breed and sell guppies, and i think its so fun. i have them in a 10 gal, with a 5gal for a nursery. i tried a 2.5 gal, but the babies all died... my breeding females give out about 30 at a time though, so i need a little more room. ive had up to 100 in the tank at once. also, ive never had a problem with crushing the fish food, but maybe thats because i but a guppy/beta specific food....  

falcons_dark_star

thrivis

Bashful Cultist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:29 pm
I agree about calling the fish stores to see if they'll take your baby fish. You should probably do that before you put anything together that might breed, so you don't find yourself with a bunch of babies and nowhere to send them too. ^^ A lot of the pet stores around me won't take babies, so if I ever happened to get any that bred, I don't know what I'd do with the offspring.

I'd love to have guppies sometime in the future. And a few of you posted a lot of good info for breeding. Thank you! Now breeding guppies sounds like it'd be fun. biggrin  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:55 am
The babies could be a problem. But, the guppies I have ( a pair ) haven't reproduced at all, even though I had them since Christmas.  

supercoolbandgeek

Chemicat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:34 pm
We just got a new guppy. He's really pretty. Lyretail with pink and blue and orange... D:

He's in with a bunch of females, and a female betta in a 20 gallon.

It's fun to watch them all... interact. biggrin  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:25 pm
I've rasied guppies for along time. Recently I have a female that has between 60 and 80 babies at a time. Granted most will only have 20-30 babies at a time and less if they are small themselves. If you have a large tank that isn't full they tend to have more.But I have never had them over populate a tank when they are left alone.

Also a tip for those that are looking into breeding guppies. Always have 2-3 females to every male that way the males wont' constantly harass the females. And sometimes the female just won't breed with the male. The female I have that is haveing all the babies wouldn't breed with my other fancy tailed male but she does breed with the common males. Good news is that the babies are takeing mostly after her.

I also don't sell mine to a petstore there is a drug store in my neighbor hood that gives me store credit for my babies so you might want to check everywhere that sells fish in your community.  

Sugar Slave

kristen-chan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:57 am
Sugar Slave
I've rasied guppies for along time. Recently I have a female that has between 60 and 80 babies at a time. Granted most will only have 20-30 babies at a time and less if they are small themselves. If you have a large tank that isn't full they tend to have more.But I have never had them over populate a tank when they are left alone.

Also a tip for those that are looking into breeding guppies. Always have 2-3 females to every male that way the males wont' constantly harass the females. And sometimes the female just won't breed with the male. The female I have that is haveing all the babies wouldn't breed with my other fancy tailed male but she does breed with the common males. Good news is that the babies are takeing mostly after her.

I also don't sell mine to a petstore there is a drug store in my neighbor hood that gives me store credit for my babies so you might want to check everywhere that sells fish in your community.

does your drugstore actually sell fish or do they just take them, just a little curious because you werent quite clear(im not that bright), thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:25 pm
All I bother with in my tanks are guppies. And if you tank is big enough and you have plants and tank decorations down for the babies to hide you will have babies that survive Also if you let nature take its course you won't get over poputlated since guppies have a short life span and to raise guppies with no problems you will need 3 females to every 1 male is the perfect ideal but 2 females to every 1 male will work but its still not the safest thing for the females. In I though I like breeding them because well I like seeing what they will look like. Also you may want to keep a eye on the males tails to make sure the nips they give each other don't set up fin rot.  

Sugar Slave

----::::The FISH Tank::::----

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff