Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!

Back to Guilds

Reply The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!
Dirk Gently (Those who have not read, beware!) Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Woo, poll!
  WOO!
View Results

alsoknownasak

Clean Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:20 pm
The first book. I didn't get the ending.

What exactly did interviewing Coleridge have to do with saving the world?  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:37 am
He stopped him from finishing the poem, which saved the day because... I can't remember. I haven't read the book for a while. sweatdrop Er, what happened again? Coleridge wrote Kubla Kahn while posessed by the ghost, right? And therefore the the poem had some significance for some reason I can't remember, so by stopping him from writing it the day was inexplicably saved. Man, I need to go back and read that book again.  

Echidnite

gwyn_sully

Gracious Gaian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:52 am
oooh boy. I've given up understanding that book. I just read it for fun.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:59 pm
*even more confused than before*  

alsoknownasak

Clean Member

Daska

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:55 pm
I didn't understand the ending either; was it really susposed to make sense?  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:34 pm
somehow it reminded me of the eding to the monty python holy grail movie

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Xeno
Zen
Neptune

Xeno Zen Neptune

alsoknownasak

Clean Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:02 pm
Xeno Zen Neptune
somehow it reminded me of the eding to the monty python holy grail movie

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Xeno
Zen
Neptune

I don't see how... nobody got arrested... they did what they went to do and went for pizza afterwards! xp  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:59 pm
They interrupted Coleridge and made him lose his concentration so he was unable to finish the poem (At the beginning of the book, the poem was complete. In our world the poem is not complete, Coleridge said this was because someone came to visit him and ruined his concentration...whether this is true or not, no one is sure...) When the poem was complete, the dude (Michael, right?) read it and connected with the poem in such a way that it resonated with the ghost and the ghost was able to posses the Michael-dude. At the end of the book, since the poem was not finished, the dude was not able to connect with it and thus unable to be possessed.

PS. Please excuse any inaccuracies in this explanation. It has been a couple of years since I last read the book.  

phlipp

fourtysecondscarf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:56 am
wierdley enough, I understood what went on to a degree...but its a fairly vauge idea....I havent read it in ahwile...however! I DO know what happened!

I love the bit about the sofa!  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:04 pm
hey! has anyone here seen the un-aired episode of Doctor who called Shada? Dougles Adams wrote it, and there are ALOT of similarities!  

doomydaydoom

Svlad Cjelli

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:34 pm
I love Dirk Gently! I can't quite remember the ending, though. Something to do with a time machine, that's for sure. Oh, there was great humour in that book, though. It was the world's first detective-ghost-horror-who dunnit-time travel-romantic-musical-comedy-epic. My name is based after Dirk Gently, which the name in itself is quite amazing. Not only is it a type of alcholoic beverage, but it has a certain Scottish dagger feel to it, no?  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:00 am
Ahaha, yeah it did get a tad confusing towards the end there. I figured WHY they had to stop him, but I think the explanation about the poem and Michael kinda makes sense... I think thats what he was getting at. Hard to be sure, hhaha.  

Lidaby

Lidaby

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:01 am
doomydaydoom
hey! has anyone here seen the un-aired episode of Doctor who called Shada? Dougles Adams wrote it, and there are ALOT of similarities!

No! Where abouts did you see it? Youtube?
... also, which Doctor? I heard Douglas Adams wrote for Doctor Who, but I can't remember which episodes/ Doctor(s) he did it for.

... and I call myself a whovian, tah... sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:48 pm
Svlad Cjelli
I love Dirk Gently! I can't quite remember the ending, though. Something to do with a time machine, that's for sure. Oh, there was great humour in that book, though. It was the world's first detective-ghost-horror-who dunnit-time travel-romantic-musical-comedy-epic. My name is based after Dirk Gently, which the name in itself is quite amazing. Not only is it a type of alcholoic beverage, but it has a certain Scottish dagger feel to it, no?
AHA! so THATS where I heard that before....I kept looking at your name and just being like....where have I heard that before? I didn't get it until just now....  

fourtysecondscarf

deje rah

Familiar Phantom

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 8:30 am
I have to agree, Phillips explanation is the best. It all has to do with the interconnectedness of all things.  
The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games