Welcome to Gaia! ::

::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Back to Guilds

The only guild on Gaia where hardcore Resident Evil fans can come and experience complete safe haven. Welcome! 

Tags: Resident Evil, Biohazard, Raccoon City, T-Virus, Umbrella 

Reply ::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::
Chemistry and Science in RE Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Interested?
  Yes
View Results

Hyatt-Insomnia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:42 pm
I don't know about the rest of you, but the RE games inspired me to study chemistry.

I've always wondered if the science [T-virus, las plagas, ect] is possible in real life. Mutations, zombies....can it be done?

On that note, real life "zombis" have been reported have reported in countries like Haiti and other regions that practice voodoo.

Quote:
Don't try this at home! but here's a recipe. First put on some gloves and catch a bouga toad. Carefully collect some of its gland secretions, said to be a hundred times more powerful than the heart medicine digitalis and hallucinogenic. Then (perhaps keeping your gloves on) catch some puffer fish for their tetrodotoxin, said to be one of the strongest poisons in the world. Add tarantulas, millipedes, seeds and leaves of poisonous plants, and skins from poisonous tree frogs. Mix the poisons together, and for extra effect add ground-up human bones. Then sidle up to an unsuspecting victim and surreptitiously apply a little of the brew to that person's skin.

There! The victim will keel over and appear dead. Go ahead, have a nice funeral. Then give the victim a potion known as "zombie's cucumber," and your prey will wake up and seem to have risen from the dead. But there will be no personality, no memory, not even the ability to speak. You'll have a living body without a soul. In other words, a zombie.

It's tricky, and not everyone agrees that this is the right procedure. So maybe you'd better leave it to a professional, an expert in voodoo known as a bokor. It is said that you'll find such experts in Haiti, the home of voodoo.

Once you have a zombie, you'll find lots of uses for it (no longer he or she). The zombie makes a fine slave, working indoors or out at whatever physical task you choose. It will obey without question and not talk back.

The word shows up in English in an 1819 history of Brazil, which says that Zambi "is the name for the Deity, in the Angolan tongue." In 1872 a dictionary of Americanisms includes a more familiar definition: "Zombi, a phantom or a ghost, not unfrequently heard in the Southern States in nurseries and among the servants."

Like voodoo, the word zombie has an African origin. It comes from a Bantu language of the Niger-Congo language family, either Kimbundu or Kongo. Here we will credit Kongo, also known as Kikongo, which is spoken in Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, and Angola by a total of more than three million people. One other well-known English word from Kongo is chimpanzee (173 cool .

Source

Here's something I found about las plagas.

Quote:
1. Growth of Las Plagas inside a host organism:
As everyone knows, Las Plagas start out as eggs, presumably harvested from living parasites such as the ones dwelling in Salazar's castle. The egg is injected into the host's bloodstream. After a few hours, the egg hatches, violently exiting the bloodstream near the host's heart and lungs, causing convulsions and the coughing up of blood. Once out of the bloodstream, the infant Plaga attaches itself to the spinal cord using its tendrils and begins to grow. It is also probable that the Plaga remains attached in some way to the bloodstream so that it can sap nutrients from the host.

As the Plaga grows, so does its control over the host. Initially, the Plaga can only control the host's spinal nervous system. For those of you not familiar with anatomy, that means that while the host's motor functions are being controlled, the brain itself is untouched. This is supported by Leon and Ashley's robotic behavior during the brief periods when they slipped under the not yet mature Plaga's control.

It is uncertain exactly how conscious of their actions hosts are when in this state, although Leon's regression with Ada gives a frightening clue. After nearly killing Ada, then being knocked backed to his senses, Leon mutters, "Sorry, Ada." This allows for the terrifying possibility that a host towards the latter stage of infection is still conscious of his or her actions, but can only watch helplessly as the Plaga assumes control over their bodies.

At some point, however, the Plaga's influence throughout the body becomes far reaching enough that even the brain falls under the creature's manipulation, resulting in the derranged mental state of a Ganado. During this final stage, the host's whole consciousness is subject to manipulation by the Plaga. The Plaga causes the host to feel and believe whatever the Plaga wants it to. This accounts for the Ganados' vivid display of emotion when pursuing a target, their seemingly normal behavior when at rest, and their bizzare religious beliefs. They are no longer simply "robots" being controlled. They're now thinking, feeling organisms whose entire personality is controlled by the Plaga.

Source

Discussion Points
-Is the chemistry in RE possible?
-Virology
-Real life Zombis
-Other related topics

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:27 pm
This is something I have wondered myself, and Resident Evil also made me interested slightly in the fields of chemistry and virology.

The T-Virus is, when narrowed down, a protein crystal with an RNA (Ribonucleic acid) core. Once a T-Viral cell comes in contact with another cell, it will use it's RNA core to infiltrate that cell's nucleolus and begin to alter and manipulate the cell's DNA, until the cell begins to recognize the T-Viral cell as essential, causing both cells to fuse into one. The infected cell will then undergo a stage of mitosis (the splitting of the cell into two identical halves), causing two new viral cells to be born. These two new cells will then find the nearest cells and the process will repeat until the host is completely infected.

As time progresses, though, the T-Virus within an infected cell will slowly work away at the cell's mitochondria, until it is ultimately destroyed. The T-Virus will then replace the destroyed mitochondria with it's own type of organelle (think of a power plant for the cell; a mitochondria is an organelle) which will produce a very new, very different type of energy that the cell will begin to rely on. This energy is very powerful, and as this process continues throughout the host's body, it will no longer see the respiratory or circulatory systems as vital, and will no longer depend on them. This means that the body will die without actually dying. Almost going into a temporary shutdown, or stasis, if you will.

But as time progresses even further, the energy will start to wear thinner and thinner. With the respiratory and circulatory systems discarded by the host's body (for good), the body will start to sacrifice some of it's own cells to keep the other cells fueled. This is why the infected hosts, otherwise called zombies, begin to decay slowly over time like an actual corpse.

This is why I found the T-Virus so interesting; it's so simplistic yet very complex. There are viruses out there, genetically altered or not, that can/will come very close to the T-Virus. But the process will stop midway; once the stasis effect of the host goes into place, it will die during that stasis. The creation of a new organelle, I'm not so sure of to begin with. But even if that was possible, the new organelle would not be able to provide a strong-enough energy source to actually let the host continue to live without the need for it's vital systems. It's just physically impossible, so I have given you your answer; the chemistry in RE is not possible.

-Nymphotronic-

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:44 am
Well, that's where reality and fiction split up. Let's say it's possible to make a zombie using a virus. This zombie, over a short amount of time will decay and stop. Which is entirely possible. The only thing is, Resident Evil took it in another direction and made it mutagenic. Unless the virus actually rearranged the cell's DNA, and kept the cell functional to reproduce as instructed by it's new genetic blueprint, which is very unlikely, then the so called Zombies would not be able to evolve into Lickers as they do. This basically means that the DNA of the virus does not only infect the cell and invade it, but actually turns the cell into another type of cell in order to make it grow and mutate. Which could seem somewhat plausible in the case of G-Virus and its instability, but the T-Virus monsters such as Hunters, Lickers etc. They just look too symmetrical and perfect to be created my any kind of mutagen. The virus would then have to be of amazing complexity, and perhaps, unlike any other virus ever. Because it would have a completely different function, but simply defined as a virus because of its structure and functionality.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:56 pm
Wow, uh... I don't have much to add to here. You guys make me look like I got an F in science class last year. And I got an A. xd  

Canas Renvall
Vice Captain

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:48 pm
Hey, I took High School Biology for 3 reasons: Resident Evil, Parasite Eve and Metal Gear Solid.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:51 am
you really like your games biohazard EXTREME confused  

A5116278

x.Wesker.x

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:33 pm
Well, there could be a virus bringing the dead back to life, but that's with emphasis on "could". If it brougth people back as zombies, scientists would probably do a much better job of keeping it contained then Umbrella.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:05 pm
Biohazard EXTREME
Hey, I took High School Biology for 3 reasons: Resident Evil, Parasite Eve and Metal Gear Solid.

* sticks up hand *
Teacher !?
If the world was at mercy of a pro-genitor viral outbreak of some sort, what are the president's plans ?
Yeah my teacher made us watch Spiderman two with Doc Oc, and I was sitting there murmuring about Resident Evil being a better discussion for Bio class.  

[~.Kami.Kaze.~]

J87

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:19 pm
[~.Kami.Kaze.~]
Biohazard EXTREME

* sticks up hand *
Teacher !?
If the world was at mercy of a pro-genitor viral outbreak of some sort, what are the president's plans ?
Yeah my teacher made us watch Spiderman two with Doc Oc, and I was sitting there murmuring about Resident Evil being a better discussion for Bio class.

he he yha for 2 important reasons 1st spiderman 2 has no bioligy in it and spider mans bioligy segmenat was 5 minuits of the 1st movie RE has bioligy well actualy viroligy all over the place  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:31 pm
You know what movie, I thought had a pretty decent Biology aspect to it? The Hulk.  

Biohazard EXTREME

Ivory Lie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:17 am
Biohazard EXTREME
excellent games...well 2 of them i havent played parasite eve  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:15 pm
leon r kennedy
excellent games...well 2 of them i havent played parasite eve
It's got a lot of in-cell genetic talk in it. Hell, I bet you the word Mitochondria comes up more times than the hero's name in the dialogue.  

Biohazard EXTREME

Canas Renvall
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:03 pm
I've never played Parasite Eve, either. crying Or uh... or MGS, for that matter. >_>;  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:47 pm
The Hulk ........... big green and ugly ? Or the wrestler ?
ninja By the way I know which one it was ninja  

[~.Kami.Kaze.~]

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:18 pm
The wrestler! Duuh! Did you see him? He's a B.O.W. in itself.  
::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff