Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's official Graphic Design Guild for all things profiles, logos, graphics and much much more! 

Tags: Graphic, Design, Digital art, Photoshop, Profiles 

Reply The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild
Who owns a drawing tablet? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you have a drawing tablets
Yeah
47%
 47%  [ 8 ]
Nope
29%
 29%  [ 5 ]
Do you think im rich?
23%
 23%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 17

Better of Two Evils

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 2:45 pm
I want one but they're just too expensive crying  
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 1:54 am
you can get one for about $50.. if thats expensive think of the use you'll get out of it, and its not that bad. Wacom seems to be a popular brand but for some reason when i search for them now their showing up a lil on the expensive side. I think I got mine for about $80

Just think if it as an investment. Once you get used to using it you'll kick yourself for not getting one sooner.  

Bolweevil

Better of Two Evils

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 4:56 am
80 bucks is alot for me now. It probally wont be this summer though when I get a job. Though, I thought they were more expensive like in the 800s or 1000s.  
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 5:17 am
J0EL
80 bucks is alot for me now. It probally wont be this summer though when I get a job. Though, I thought they were more expensive like in the 800s or 1000s.
0_o Oh hell no! I think mine was about $50, although it was a present so I'm not sure exactly... If you're doing a lot of drawing or colouring on the computer, its definitely worth it. Even if you're just on the computer a lot, I know a lot of people find it less strain on the wrist than a mouse.

I don't think I'd be able to live without mine now sweatdrop It's not a Wacom, its a small one by Acecad.  

Chisa
Vice Captain

Kineyas

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 9:37 am
Chisa
I know a lot of people find it less strain on the wrist than a mouse.

It's not just less strain, it's also a lot conventional and easier to use IMO. I don't own one but I'm also looking for one (any recommendations are great ^_^).  
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 3:43 pm
Wow, I too thought they were in the $300+ range.

Edit:
I was looking at a Wacom Graphire3 4X5 and I was wondering. You draw on the tablet and only have 4 inches by 5 inches to work with, but does that mean that you only have a 4 inch by 5 inch square on the screen to work with? In other words can you make those 4x5 equal to, lets say, 1024x768 pixels if you wanted to?  

=[Rock Howard]=

Chisa
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 6:17 pm
=[Rock Howard]=
Wow, I too thought they were in the $300+ range.

Edit:
I was looking at a Wacom Graphire3 4X5 and I was wondering. You draw on the tablet and only have 4 inches by 5 inches to work with, but does that mean that you only have a 4 inch by 5 inch square on the screen to work with? In other words can you make those 4x5 equal to, lets say, 1024x768 pixels if you wanted to?
Yup! I don't know the exact software and stuff behind it, but basically your tablet is (or can be?) configured to 'reach' you resolution size. My tablet is 9.5x13cm (not sure what that is in inches...), and the corners of that correspond to the corners of my screen, no matter what resoultion I set it to. I'm sure there are some benefits to having a larger tablet, just not sure exactly what they are sweatdrop But if its your first one, and you're low on cash, you should find that a small tablet is sufficient.  
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 7:39 pm
I have a Wacom Graphire 6x8 that I bought a couple months ago, and I'm looking to get an Intuos which is the next model up, it just has more sensitivity. Because I didn't have as long as I thought on my guarantee from the place I bought it, I'm stuck with this one for now until I sell it. Its not bad at all, I'd just like the better one because I can afford it. smile

IMO, smaller is better. It takes up less space, and its actually really nice to not have to move your hand around a lot. Mice are "relative", which means if you pick up the mouse, move it a couple inches and then set it back down, the pointer on the screen will be in the same spot. A tablet can be set to be the exact opposite, so the bottom left hand corner of the tablet will always correspond to the bottom left hand corner of the computer screen. Its a lot different and kinda hard to get used to (once you do its great), but that means it really doesn't matter how big the tablet is. You don't lose any functionality.

So in other words, they are really nice. It makes precision drawing and painting a lot easier.

Now for price ranges. The one I have was about $160, the 4x5 Graphires can be as low as $80 or 90 I think. I'd be willing to sell mine to one of you, rather than listing it on eBay. biggrin I could be persuaded to ask for $120, I think. xd

I hope any of the above helps. smile  

SilverVixen
Vice Captain

SilverVixen
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 7:56 pm
Could you, um, please edit your last poll option? We want to keep it appropriate for younger users in here. Thank you. biggrin  
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 11:12 am
Thanks everyone, you've helped alot.  

=[Rock Howard]=

Catani

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 4:40 pm
I use a borrowed, low-end (and I mean way low) tablet, I'm going to buy my own soon...
My opinion is: wacom - great, but if you're not really working on it - it's wayyy too expensive... - though in europe there is volito (second edition now) and it's quite affordable
but for a price of about 15$ less I can get a tablet with the same size, better resolution, twice as much sensitivity level, but it's not wacom and has a small battery in the pen, not like wacom (which is more a marketing catch than a real advantage in my opinion... confused )  
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 6:07 pm
SilverVixen
Could you, um, please edit your last poll option? We want to keep it appropriate for younger users in here. Thank you. biggrin
Poll option has been edited for language 3nodding

J0EL, we have a no swearing rule here... please respect our rules in the future. Thankyou!  

Chisa
Vice Captain

Better of Two Evils

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 6:55 am
Oops, sorry about that.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:12 am
I have used one at school and I have to say, it really takes alot of getting used to.. I have found that I am so used to the mouse that I actually have more trouble with the tablet than I do with the mouse, but I imagine that would change over time.. sweatdrop  

Raine Dragon

Sparkling Dragon

18,890 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200

Avis-yam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:16 pm
Luckily, my birthday is soon so yay TABLET HERE I COME! Anyone have suggestions on brands?  
The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff