Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Emo Guild

Back to Guilds

What do you think genius? Its a guild for emo's. 

Reply The Emo Guild (Down at the copa... copacabana)
Eh. It's hard to explain to mom what emo is D: Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

osozaki girl

Fashionable Prophet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:38 am
Me: It's a type of non-political punk rock from the 80's. It's kind of dead now, and is a lot of different stuff.

Mom-I WAS IN THE 80'S AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT THAT WAS!

Me: um, cause it wasn't pop.

mom: WHY ARE THEY CALLING YOUR SISTER EMU!

Me: Because we took this "what is your name in chinese test" and that was it. E Mu.

mom: DO THEY PLAY EMU ON THE POP STATION

me: uh. no.

mom: DO THEY PLAY IT ON THE ALTERNATIVE STATION

me: uh. I dunno. I don't want to talk about this

mom: so what are you?

stressed

CONFUSSILINGGGG.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:09 am
Okay. Your mom belongs in a mental institution.
My mom is thick about it too. But not THAT thick.  

!Stop!Go!

Kamadev

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:07 am
WOw ha!yeH samw wit my mom...lol  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:33 am
No it isn't, emo is a mid 90's evolution of heravy metal, later segregating into the category of emotive hardcore.  

Rellik San
Captain

osozaki girl

Fashionable Prophet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:24 pm
Rellik San
No it isn't, emo is a mid 90's evolution of heravy metal, later segregating into the category of emotive hardcore.

oh.
Well.
At least I told her it was a music genre instead of the depressed kid.
gahhh.

I was told it started in the 80's.
eh
redface  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:22 pm
my mom thinks it just boys that are homo and dont wash their hair  

C A N C E R.

Its Cookie Time!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:10 pm
Wow...
.__.

I never had to explain emo to my mom
she just kinda knew.
:3

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:28 pm
My mother and network of other mothers were able to narrow it down to something all their children seemed to be.

Parents are genetically incapable of understanding and accepting current trends in society.

Gambino Statue

-Isel-

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:52 pm
Rellik San

Heavy metal is not the correct genre at all, wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong dammit so ******** incorrect oh my GOD.

Whoops. Let that slip... for like, 2 minutes.

It's a form of punk inspired by the desire to use emotional lyrics in the punk genre as an alternative to just yelling about politics and such.

It just so happened to start in the 80's, actually. Mid-90's is the post-grunge era, and the time when the last true "emo" record (as far as my knowledge on the subject is) was released- Weezer's "Pinkerton".

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:48 pm
my parents don't know what it means  

fullmeatgirl

Rellik San
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:56 am
Isel
Rellik San

Heavy metal is not the correct genre at all, wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong dammit so ******** incorrect oh my GOD.

It's a form of punk inspired by the desire to use emotional lyrics in the punk genre as an alternative to just yelling about politics and such.

It just so happened to start in the 80's, actually. Mid-90's is the post-grunge era, and the time when the last true "emo" record (as far as my knowledge on the subject is) was released- Weezer's "Pinkerton".

Ok then, how do you explain post metal, hardcore bands such as Killswitch Engage, Hearts Will Bleed and Zero being classed as Emotive Hardcore with in the original genre listings. The fact is, that they are asking about modern emo, not the New Romantic stuff (Which would be constituted as the beginnings of emo and goth). So in bringing to the table that the bands inspired by such are goth/punk (I still have to bite my lip not to go on a huge diatribe about how wrong that is) bands, such as MCR and Aiden were born. Actually whats considered Emo, like say, BFMV and FFAF, are the evolutions of the post metal hardcore scene into the more emotive aspect, as opposed to the likes of Hatebreed and co. who maintain to be reffered to as Hardcore not Emo. Weezer are in no shape emo, they were born out of the same rock/experimental phase that also brought about the like of TMBG (They Might be Giants), being a fan of both bands, I will attest to this.... well, it seems we have a bit of a debate going on here my friend.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:17 pm
Rellik San
Isel
Rellik San

Ok then, how do you explain post metal, hardcore bands such as Killswitch Engage, Hearts Will Bleed and Zero being classed as Emotive Hardcore with in the original genre listings. The fact is, that they are asking about modern emo, not the New Romantic stuff (Which would be constituted as the beginnings of emo and goth). So in bringing to the table that the bands inspired by such are goth/punk (I still have to bite my lip not to go on a huge diatribe about how wrong that is) bands, such as MCR and Aiden were born. Actually whats considered Emo, like say, BFMV and FFAF, are the evolutions of the post metal hardcore scene into the more emotive aspect, as opposed to the likes of Hatebreed and co. who maintain to be reffered to as Hardcore not Emo. Weezer are in no shape emo, they were born out of the same rock/experimental phase that also brought about the like of TMBG (They Might be Giants), being a fan of both bands, I will attest to this.... well, it seems we have a bit of a debate going on here my friend.

1. A band does not need to be part of a genre to release an album within said genre. For example- Dir en Grey released the EP "sixUgly" which is classified as "western-world Metal". Dir en Grey is not western-world metal. Therefore, Weezer is quite capable of releasing an emo album despite them being an experimental band. Furthermore, they are experimental rock- thusly giving them a license to perform multiple genres of music. See Beck.

2. New Romantic never existed. You're thinking Darkwave (The Cure, The Cult, Siouxsie and the Banshees), a movement that never left Europe and became "goth" when America emulated it.

3. KSE is "metalcore with emo vocals". I don't know about this, because I heard one song from them and I hated it, so I don't listen to them at all.

4. MCR and Aiden are two bands in a similar vein of pop-punk.

5. Hatebreed is not emo. Jamey Jasta was hoping nobody would call them that. They are straight-up hardcore.

6. Furthermore, most bands categorized as "heavy metal" are composed of musicians who are in their 40's and 50's (and maybe 60's) now, being that heavy metal originated with bands like Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, and Motorhead. Heavy metal experienced its first genre subcategorization with Motorhead, of course, being the first band that punks considered alright to listen to. Secondly, we saw Metallica and Slayer start the genre of "fantasy metal", which Slayer left behind immediately after their debut, moving on to create the first elements of death metal and thrash metal.

Heavy metal sounds nothing like emo, in conclusion.

-Isel-

[Spam R Us]

Invisible Elder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:00 pm
Haha.
My parents keep bothering me, asking why Johnny's saying kids are asking me if I'm 'goth', 'emo', and 'scene' at school and aroudn the block. Then, they'll be like 'What the hell does all this mean? It better not be some sort of slang for sluts.D<'
xDDD

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:19 pm
Emo didnt started in the mid 90's that'd be the second emo wave aka the more indie-ish emo band.
It started in the 80's with Rites Of Spring.  

drkmtn

Rellik San
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:18 pm
Isel
Rellik San
Isel
Rellik San

1. A band does not need to be part of a genre to release an album within said genre. For example- Dir en Grey released the EP "sixUgly" which is classified as "western-world Metal". Dir en Grey is not western-world metal. Therefore, Weezer is quite capable of releasing an emo album despite them being an experimental band. Furthermore, they are experimental rock- thusly giving them a license to perform multiple genres of music. See Beck.

2. New Romantic never existed. You're thinking Darkwave (The Cure, The Cult, Siouxsie and the Banshees), a movement that never left Europe and became "goth" when America emulated it.

3. KSE is "metalcore with emo vocals". I don't know about this, because I heard one song from them and I hated it, so I don't listen to them at all.

4. MCR and Aiden are two bands in a similar vein of pop-punk.

5. Hatebreed is not emo. Jamey Jasta was hoping nobody would call them that. They are straight-up hardcore.

6. Furthermore, most bands categorized as "heavy metal" are composed of musicians who are in their 40's and 50's (and maybe 60's) now, being that heavy metal originated with bands like Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, and Motorhead. Heavy metal experienced its first genre subcategorization with Motorhead, of course, being the first band that punks considered alright to listen to. Secondly, we saw Metallica and Slayer start the genre of "fantasy metal", which Slayer left behind immediately after their debut, moving on to create the first elements of death metal and thrash metal.

Heavy metal sounds nothing like emo, in conclusion.

1. Defining a particular genre to a band, is a matter of simple classification, true, they do not have to be particularly active in a genre to release an album into it. As for your Dir En Grey example, mad capsule markets, whom sing mostly in japanese, sparing a few tracks and are like nothing seen outside of their experimental punk/metal/techno genre, are also considered western metal. Because of pretentious anime fans, not looking beyond things such as visual kei or the a-typical ballads with in. So naturally when Dir En Grey release something comprised of more then twisted imagery the majority western fans; otaku, will snub it for an alternate genre. However the band themselves, still see it as part of their established catalogue, be that visual kei or experimental Weezer style rock.

2. Nope it was called new romantic, at least in Britain it was called new romantic, and though it had its hand in the creation of goth, you can not deny its overtly obvious impact on the appearance of the modern emo stereotype, which is what brought the original misconseption, as emo's being nothing more then failed goths.

3. Regardless, standardised emo bands such as BFMV and so fourth, emulate the KSE blueprint, thusly, KSE could be proclaimed the progenitor of modern emo bands, bringing with it, true emotion.

4. I honestly have no idea how to describe those bands, the music press calls them goth punk, the idiots claim them to be emo, the rest of the world claims them to be pop punk (despite lacking the 'fun' of original pop punk, such as pre-whiney Green Day and pre sucking Blink 182). The fact is, genre titles have been thrown around between those too bands, so much, I'm not even sure the bands themselves is aware of what they are.

5. Hardcore is one of the branches of Emotive Hardcore, a single genre, branching off into two categories, but both branching at the bands discretion, despite claims, and I'm sure you will get alot of these from hardcore fans, it is not emo, I assure you it very much is.

6. But without heavy metal, no grunge, no harcore, no emo its that simple, Motorhead were not the first sub-genre to evolve from metal, as for Slayer and Mettalica, the genre is 'Thrash Metal' not fantasy metal, which is the domain of bands like Dragon Force and Rhapsody. The first sub-genre of metal, was in the early 70's whilst Lemmy was still with the Prog band Hawkwind, and it was power metal brought on by Iron Maiden. I dare you to defy me on my metal history, I have someone who was actually there and an active fan of metal since it birth as my source for this.

I wasn't saying metal did sound like emo, just without it, emo wouldn't exsist as metal forced the majority of the creative freedoms present in todays music... its that simple.  
The Emo Guild (Down at the copa... copacabana)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games