Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's official Graphic Design Guild for all things profiles, logos, graphics and much much more! 

Tags: Graphic, Design, Digital art, Photoshop, Profiles 

Reply The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild
Rainblob Tutorial

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Triskdaemon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:00 pm
Since I'm new to the guild, I'll introduce myself by sharing one of my favorite Photoshop techniques.

First, set your colors to the default (D)

Make a new layer (Layer>New>Layer)

Do the Clouds filter (Filter>Render>Clouds)

Run Difference Clouds a few times (Filter>Render>Difference Clouds)

Next, take the Lasso tool and make a jaggy, sawtooth outline around the edge of your image.

Feather the selection (Select>Feather) by 10 pixels.

Invert the selection (Cntl+Shift+I)

Delete that. Redo the lassoing, feathering, and inverting once more, and delete that too.

Copy your image and paste it into a new channel (go to channels on the layers palette, and create a new one.)

Load the channel as a selection (Control-click on the layer, or Select>Load Selection and choose your layer as the source)

Invert the selection, create a new layer above your image, and create a rainbow/spectrum gradient from corner to corner. Set the blending mode on that new layer to overlay (Menu on the Layers palette)

You should now see your image, surrounded by white, with the gradient overlaid on it.

Apply the wave filter on the black & white layer (Filters>Distort>Wave). Play with the settings on the filter until you like it, but leave the wave type on "sine".

Now reapply the wave filter WITHOUT CHANGING THE SETTINGS on the multicolored layer. This makes the colors flow with the image.

Repeat the last two steps until you're satisfied with the look of things.

Tips: Inverting any of your three layers gives the image a different look. Here's my image after some inverting...

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Any questions on how or why things work? Stuck? REPLY!  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:14 am
Woooo trippy colours there! I like blaugh I'll definitely have to try that out some time 3nodding Could probably mess around with it to make a cool background for one of my pics...

Thanks for sharing this, and welcome to the guild!  

Chisa
Vice Captain

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces