Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Hugs...would you? Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Would you hug a complete stranger holding a "Free hugs sign?"
  Yes
  No
  Maybe(depends upon what he/she looks like)
  Pollwhore option
View Results

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:26 am
I thought this might make an interesting discussion.

Watch this video first: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4

Now...what do you think about the above moment?

Hugs are awsome things arn't they? They make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside...but I wonder why?

Do you think hugs should be reserved for family, and maybe a special someone? Or do you think hugs should be for everyone?

Personally I hug all my friends. It is what we do when we meet, or when we were in school, we would give each other a quick hug if we passed in the hallway. People always looked at us strangly, but I didn't care.

Also would you hug a complete stranger if he were holding a sign that said "Free hugs?"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:25 pm
Personally, I hate being hugged. Well, no not hate, but it doesn't make me feel good inside. Makes me feel... Well, like theres a bony shoulder pressed into my face. But I always like watching people get hugs. Aww, huggles! And I.... Dunno if I would hug a stranger. Probably not (I picked no on poll) but... depends on if my friends did it or not I suppose.  

PickleBoy

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:40 pm
Meh... I probably wouldn't.

I don't personally see much point in an embrace unless there's some connection already there to reinforce.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:01 pm

Not big on hugs. Or people. I wouldn't hug said stranger with free hugs sign. I would probably avoid them like the plague, since when people hang out with signs or pamphlets, they tend to actively approach you. I tend to be negative, so I would see the sign and just be very curious about what the hell their motive was. xD
I don't care though. If you use hugs as greetings or whatever, that's up to you as long as you don't force it on people like me who would be less than enthusiastic. xP I had a friend who would include 'happy humps' at times, to piss people off. Not really to piss people off, but it was sort of that dreaded yet hilarious moment when he declares he's going to do it then he attacks the victim with his tackle hug/hump.

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200

The MoUsY spell-checker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:19 pm
I wouldn't want to hug a random stranger.

I remember once when one of the year 11s in my roll call group (we have vertical groups, I was in year 12 but the roll call group has people from years 9 - 12) randomly told me that I'm not a very "huggy" person and hugged me. Yes, she was right, I'm not much of a hugger.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:54 pm
I like being hugged, I like hugging more than kissing :S  

Kiron

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:11 pm
Kiron
I like being hugged, I like hugging more than kissing :S

Ra-men.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:27 pm
You all act dark and tough, but I know real evil first hand. It's nothing to wave a stick at and cop off its "cool" factor.

People are so busy running and rushing to their deaths, no one has time to notice clouds rolling by or laugh with people they care about more.

If someone offered me a free hug...I'de take it...and I don't like human contact much....but deep down, we need eachother. I can even prove it with science, but I can hope you guys trust me or have heard it before.

Its instrumentality.....our egos....the thing that keeps us safe from others.
The barrier of our minds, where we shut off other people. A hug is almost a welcome invitation..the stranger the stranger, the better!

I've hugged random people....its not warm "aww", you really feel that deep down we all link up and just maybe life aint as evil as we think. Something simple like a hug can surpass such a great barrier. These mind barriers keep us safe from betrayal but open up lonliness which is staggeringly impossible to stave off forever. So we try our best to fnd a nice balance without damaging our frail egos. We hope to find trusting friends....stay with family hoping that blood is thicker than water.

Sometimes you got to take a chance..hug a stranger....that first hug means its possible. That's why the video went from black and white to color when he go this first hug.  

Niveous

Muaethia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:28 am
I love hugs. I'm quite a huggy person. I usually only hug my best friends though, when I see them sometimes, and I find hugging people you've just met a good ice breaker. I hadn't seen one of my best friends in a week, and we literally hugged for 10 minutes- it was very amusing. Said friend's boyfriend hugs anyone and everyone he vaguely knows on sight xd

And yes, I have hugged a fairly random person (friend of a friend) who was wearing a "hug me" t-shirt xD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:30 am
c a u s t i c

Not big on hugs. Or people. I wouldn't hug said stranger with free hugs sign. I would probably avoid them like the plague, since when people hang out with signs or pamphlets, they tend to actively approach you. I tend to be negative, so I would see the sign and just be very curious about what the hell their motive was. xD
I don't care though. If you use hugs as greetings or whatever, that's up to you as long as you don't force it on people like me who would be less than enthusiastic. xP I had a friend who would include 'happy humps' at times, to piss people off. Not really to piss people off, but it was sort of that dreaded yet hilarious moment when he declares he's going to do it then he attacks the victim with his tackle hug/hump.

You mean offline glomps? They hurt... xD  

Muaethia

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:39 am
I see....somehow you guys all make me kind of sad.

I love hugs!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:46 pm
I'm just not big on human contact... I flinch away when someone touches me. Its not that I don't like being hugged... Okay thats a lie, I dunno what I was trying to say. Other than, sorry to make you sad.  

PickleBoy

PoeticVengeance

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:36 pm
Sanguvixen
I thought this might make an interesting discussion.

Watch this video first: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4

Now...what do you think about the above moment?

Hugs are awsome things arn't they? They make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside...but I wonder why?

Do you think hugs should be reserved for family, and maybe a special someone? Or do you think hugs should be for everyone?

Personally I hug all my friends. It is what we do when we meet, or when we were in school, we would give each other a quick hug if we passed in the hallway. People always looked at us strangly, but I didn't care.

Also would you hug a complete stranger if he were holding a sign that said "Free hugs?"

I being a huggy physically affectionate person definately would hug someone if I knew they were okay with it.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:59 pm
What an awesome idea.
I've never seen anything so simple and yet so ingenious.
I would so hug the stranger. I mean really, what better to cheer (some people) up?
Brilliant.  

Lee Retalis

RandomFunctionality

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:43 pm
Nice link, and sure if i felt i wanted one, hugs are great, they really are  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items