Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's official Graphic Design Guild for all things profiles, logos, graphics and much much more! 

Tags: Graphic, Design, Digital art, Photoshop, Profiles 

Reply The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild
What's your design education? Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are you...
a graphic design graduate?
15%
 15%  [ 9 ]
a graphic design student?
17%
 17%  [ 10 ]
studying something else?
12%
 12%  [ 7 ]
working in a different field?
10%
 10%  [ 6 ]
working in graphic design with no formal education in it?
17%
 17%  [ 10 ]
still in highschool?
26%
 26%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 57

Chisa
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:40 pm
We have such a large and diverse number of members in this guild now, so I'm curious about everyone's educational background. How old are you? What did you study, or are currently studying, or plan to study? Is it design related? Did you enjoy it? Did you find it useful finding a job? Would you recommend doing a similar course to others?

I'm 19, and currently in my second year of a Bachelor of Computer Science degree. I'm wishing that I had studied graphic design at uni instead, but I'm nearly finished with this degree, and I think having a good programming and databasing background would be useful getting a job in web design, which is what I eventually want to do. I'm thinking of doing a 1 year graphic design certificate course at Tafe after I graduate at the end of next year, but still not sure. Computer Science is boring but fairly easy, and I'm hoping that with a bit of extra training in GD and some natural creativity, it'll make me a more well-rounded and flexible web designer.

What about you?  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:48 pm
I have a degree on Art Studio, not Graphic Design. But I've thought myself everything I know about it and have worked as a designer for 3 years now. It's good to have an Art background and I also have some programming education as that was my major before switching to Art.

I've worked in the local paper designing Ads, on the University designing websites and class catalogs and now I'm trying to start my own web designing and hosting business ^^  

Lluvia Maya

Devoted Scrooge

Triskdaemon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:54 pm
Self-taught, no reason to spoil a good hobby with classes... wink  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:12 am
18, still in high school, but it's one of those irritating college prep schools where they try to give you as many college-level classes as possible before you actually get to college. right now I'm taking 3 art classes, Russian, English, and math... so when I'm in college it'll be easier for me to major in art [graphic design, communications design, advertising design, or industrial design... I still haven't decided yet], minor in Russian [or English, or linguistics... haven't decided on that yet either], and do random math-related junk when necessary.
plus I have several hundred dollars worth of books on the subject of design, which I'm sure have taught me at least a few things.  

Caolfhionn

Markleaf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:30 pm
Does a studio degree count as a graphic design degree? smile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:02 pm
Alright. Here's my intense thoughts on this. biggrin

I went to a four year college and graduated with a degree in Art with a Concentration in Graphic Design. As I've been working, I've realized that to even be a valuable course of study, the GD program needs some help.

These are the classes my school has now ->

Digital Art - design and creation of art on a computer; Corel Draw and Photoshop

Intro to Web Design - Frontpage, Dreamweaver, learn about functions of websites

Intro to Computer Graphics - Graphics programs, design elements

Intro to Design - Organizing space

Advanced Studies - choose a program to learn about or a concept to develop, and meet once a week to discuss what you learned and created.

*These are taken in pretty much any order, and of the actual intro classes, I only took Intro to Design my freshman year! And I took 3 advanced studies classes (Flash, Bryce, Website design), and I didn't learn as much as I could have!! Its really easy to slack.

So I've been thinking about what I believe should be included. These are classes I suggest be available, possibly in this order.

1. Graphics Software Basics - explore the design and creation of art on a computer, and learn programs such as Photoshop, ImageReady, InDesign, Illustrator, and possibly Corel applications. Learn about file types, resolution, and the basics of scanning, importing, and using digital cameras.

2. Design Basics - learn about organizing space, design elements such as color, line, space, type, layout, as well as Contrast, Repitition, Alignment, and Proximity! Learn about the creative process; planning, conceptualizing, research, developing objectives for projects, and implement "progress books" that show each step you took along the way. Also incorporate a little about desktop publishing.

3. Graphic Design Basics - Web stuff section: learn about Frontpage, Dreamweaver, and basic Flash, learn about the functions of websites. Graphics section: more about graphic programs, DTP and design elements, and how they are applied to the web. Projects would include logos and brochures and other basic stuff.

4. Advanced Graphic Design - expand on all the other classes, add things like principles of color design, typography, the Graphic Design business, basic history of GD, and PORTFOLIOS.

5. (optional) Multimedia Class - advanced Flash, streaming video

So what do you think? Give me any feedback, and suggestions!!

The only stumbling block is the fact that there isn't a teacher that can teach these classes! Heck, if I had all the time in the world, I could write the syllabi and break them each down!!

But yes. Phew. sweatdrop  

SilverVixen
Vice Captain

SilverVixen
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:31 am
No one has comments yet? sad I guess it is kinda crazy. I forgot to mention the fact that I DO have an influence on what happens at the school, since I'm pretty much the first and only one to go through this program!! One of my teachers is very interested in my ideas... and I'd just have to convince everyone else. This could happen, so I'd really like feedback! Thanks guys!  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:12 pm
Still in high school, though I did take a class in Graphic Arts in my freshman year. Didn't learn anything there though, except for how to operate the electronic paper cutter in the shop. sweatdrop And a little bit on how to use Adobe Pagemaker.

Silvervixen: Those class ideas do sound interesting, but maybe people won't really be interested in taking them? Since you mentioned that you were pretty much the only one to go through the program, I get the impression its not very in-demand (?).  

Kitsunehime

Skymon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:05 pm
I'm 16, a junior in high school. A high school without an art program. stare We had basic art in 7th and 8th grade. That's it. So I'm pretty much self-taught; I've been drawing since I can remember, and I'm slowly learning graphic arts and design. I hope to get into advertising arts someday.

SilverVixen, I like the Graphics Software Basics idea a lot. I think it'd be able to cover enough ground to interest enough people.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:26 pm
I've never done a graphic design course before, so I'm not sure whats appropriate. But it does seem that your course wasn't as intensive as it could be, Silver. Your course plan sounds good, but I think maybe Design Basics should come before (or run concurrently with) Software Basics, so the emphasis is on the design process itself, rather than the tools used to implement it. And maybe some kind of management/ type unit as well? To train students to work with people, organise teams, deal with clients, all the business side of things. Just my opinion though blaugh

This is the university course that I would have done if I could turn back time to before I started computer science... The course looks quite full on, with no non-design related electives, but it looks like you would come out of it pretty well prepared for the work place. Its a 3 year course.

This is a 1 year certificate course that I want to do after I finish this degree... its less intensive than the one above, but still covers most of the same core units.  

Chisa
Vice Captain

Krystal_digitaliS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:05 am
still in highschool .. i know nothing!  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:28 am
Wow Chisa, that 3 year Graphic Design program seems really intense!! It sounds like fun. smile I think the 1 year one will be great too. I wish I could take a program like that, it would be quick, and I'd learn lots. I guess that's what I'm kinda doing in my job right now anyway.

Thanks for the comments on the classes!! Some people addressed the issue about whether people would be interested in the program. Here's my thoughts. The college I went to is known as a pretty good school to go to for art, which is why I went there in the first place (and because they also have you take all sorts of other classes, its known as "liberal arts"). So if people like me come in interested in art, and then realize that there's a good Graphic Design program, I think it would soon get around that the college is good for that too. The state college here has a good program... so I would like it to be competitive.

After I get a lot of feedback on this, from other people I know too, I'm going to head out to the college and present this to my teacher who is interested in hearing about it! And the new president of the college is all about changing things for the better, so we'll see how this turns out.

A course that focuses more on business would be good too, Chisa. I think I might have to take some time to schedule out each class, to see how much is possible in each class. Don't want it to get too intense, its hard to deal with lots of classes that are crazy intense. That happens a lot!! Hehe.

Just to start figuring things out, here's how my school was. We have three semesters. Fall is 12 weeks, with a week break halfway through (they're almost to that break!! My BF still goes there, so I know what goes on... smile ), then there's Christmas Break, then a SIX week semester (maybe that would be a good time to do the business one) and then a week break, and then Spring is 12 weeks, with a break halfway through. I never realized just how spoiled I was getting those breaks so often (trust me, we needed 'em)... cause I really would like one right about now.

Phew. OK. I better get some work done. After I post about the guild website.... hehe.  

SilverVixen
Vice Captain

Chisa
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:04 pm
Whoa, how confusing! At my university, degrees are typically 3-5 years, each year comprising of 2 10 week semesters (I think...), with a few small breaks and a long summer break around Christmas. For most courses you have to do 4 units per semester (or more if you choose). For some courses there are core units that you have to do, and can make up the rest with electives of your choice. For that graphic design one, theres no electives, just full on all the way through.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:49 pm
So far I have my Associate's in Graphic Design and am currently working towards my Bachelor's. The University I'm at is more of a general college so my classes are quite disappointing, especially since I need to focus more on my Gen. Eds. to get all the needed credits. For being a Junior, I really expected much harder classes/projects, but that isn't the case. I've either already done similar projects, already learned what we're going over, or I taught it to myself ages ago. If I'd wanted to be in debt for a good chunk of my life I would have gone to the Savannah College of Art & Design, but alas, I wound up at a University in my home state. crying

Overall, I think I've learned more from jobs I've worked in the field as well as from self-teaching, rather than my formal education.  

K. Ueno

Novocain

4,850 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:11 pm
having a background in Art is very useful in doing Graphic Design. one of the people in my classes has a Bachelors in Art History and is getting an Associates in Graphic Design because she found the two weren't synonimous. However, already having a Bachelors in Art she's finding a lot of concepts easy to understand and artistic references always strengthen designs.

Here's a brief personal background on my education. I went to a private grade school, a private junior high, and then a private high school. The highschool i went to was the third most prestigous school in my state, but it was very structured and didn't really prepair its students for college since in college... no one tells you where to be, when to study, what to wear, etc. I think that may be a common trait among Catholic High Schools though. After graduating i went to Hofstra University in New York (which, in case no one realized, is COMPLETELY different than New Hampshire) and studied Print Journalism. After my first semester i switched to Broadcast Journalism because aside from enjoying writing i also have a huge ego (and being on camera sounded nice) and studying Johan Guttenburg didn't interest me anymore. Eventually Hofstra stopped working for me (for various personal reasons i won't bother talking about) and i withdrew from classes.

After a year off (working in retail, then as a barista, then as a waiter) i decided to go back to school and figured an Associates would be more prudent than a Bachelors (since i hadn't been in an academic environment for a while). Currently i'm enrolled at McIntosh College and am three semesters away from having an Associates in Graphic Design/Visual Communications. Once i graduate i'll either be transferring to Plymoth State, Salem State or (maybe) Boston to get a Bachelors in Graphic Design/Art History/Animation depending on the school. I just turned 21, i still work as a waitor, and i do free lance designs for two local business, a dental practice, and an undisclosed musical artist who is going to have her first solo title released in about five months.

As far as courses go, these are the classes i've taken since i started my Associates: Fundamentals of Design, English Composition (Gen Ed), College Success (Crap), College Math (Gen Ed), Intro to Computer Graphics, Typography, Digital Production Techniques (Quark Basics), Fundamentals of Drawing, Graphic Design 1, Art History, Environmental Science (Gen Ed), Graphic Design 2, and Photography (a requirement for Vis Com, though there is a seperate Photography major). Right now i'm taking Advertising Design, Digital Imaging (Intermediate Photoshop), and Multimedia 1 (Animation Basics). The Associates at McIntosh is really intense and after i graduate a number of classes won't be continued and they'll be starting a Bachelors program instead, but i think all the classes are necessary to the field.  
The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff