Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaia's Official Body Modification Guild

Back to Guilds

Reply Facial & Oral Piercings
is there a way to avoid gum/tooth problems for the side lip? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[NUTs]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:37 pm
I was curious, is there? maybe having it pierced a certian way, also i hear rings are way better for your gums then labret studs, but it would be nice to switched once in a while (theres a super slim chance i'm actualy getting this done but... i want it pretty bad >.<) also, i wear a retainer to sleep on my bottom teeth, would that interfear with a ring? a wire goes across my teeth, i'd guessing it might catch on a labret back, but i'm wondering if anything would happen with a ring. maybe scratching of either the ring or the wire? or maybe it depends on placement? iunno xp so yeah, way to avoid gum/tooth problems?  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:25 pm
Wear proper sized jewelry.
I found labret studs rubbed my gums a lot, but nothing too bad. I don't think the retainer would be too much trouble, just don't yank it out real fast or something.  

dagon is a gloomy bear
Crew

Lonely Lunatic

Warninglv100
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:50 am
The BEST way to avoid teeth and gun damage would be to not get it at all. xp But that's never the fun answer. There's a way to reduce the chance with getting it done best for your anatomy and wearing proper size jewelry, but that's really no guarantee.

Since you mentioned a retainer, I'm guessing you had braces. So I guess the decision would come down to whether you want to guarantee your teeth staying straight, or risk it with the lip ring. Since it can cause tooth drift where the ring sits. I don't know the likely that will happen, but it's still a risk worth considering.

I think I wear the same type of retainer, but I'm not positive if that would scratch a lip ring or not. Doesn't seem like it since they're both round, unless the retainer wire has a nick in it or something.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:18 pm
lol, piercing abstenance. XD  

dagon is a gloomy bear
Crew

Lonely Lunatic

Cross Eyed Mary

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:13 am
Get it pierced with the tightest BCR possible (and one that'll still allow plently of room for swelling). Then, if possible, downsize to the smallest size possible. The smaller the ring in diameter, the less chance it will rub on your gums. Josh had two 1.2x12mm BCRs in for quite a while, and didn't experiance any dicomfort with the rings rubbing against his teeth.

That's all I can offer, being without a lip piercing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:25 pm
thanks guys, yeah i'm wondering, since i wear the retainer anyway wouldn't that prevent tooth drift. and i also thoguht about that not taking it out so fast hehe. also i think i want it done with a horseshoe, but that wont make a difference from the cbr right?  

[NUTs]

dagon is a gloomy bear
Crew

Lonely Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:53 pm
Horseshoe won't make a difference. Oh yeah, and get it done at 16g and not 14g.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:07 am
Did my daily QOD reading, andI thought this was rather relavent.

The retainer would probably help prevent tooth drift, but I don't know that for sure.

And to disagree with the size, I'm alway for bigger to help prevent the cheese cutter effect. It just doesn't take that much force to slice through a thin gauge piercing.  

Warninglv100
Crew

[NUTs]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:41 pm
well now theres a whole issue with my mom being mad at me for wanting it, but anyways, i was planning on the basic 16g because it's less chunky looking  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:31 am
Found some more relevant QOD's today. Thought I'd pass them along to you.

http://iam.bmezine.com/qod4.exe?cmd=entry&tprm=1942

http://iam.bmezine.com/qod4.exe?cmd=entry&tprm=1943  

Warninglv100
Crew

[NUTs]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:00 pm
thanks for those, though this all just worries me more... i;ll put my faith in my retainer and hope for the best, because i personaly don't like the look of a labret stud on only one side (symetrical whorisms) and i don't think i'd ever get snakebites. i like them just (most likely) not on me.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:33 pm
hmm just for an update, i got it done, i asked the piercer about tooth problems he said he could angle the piercing up a little (but i'm not sure if he did or not) either way it's fine, it only touches my teeth when i smile and i think thats only because the bigger ring is in there for now, and my retainer is all good with it also 3nodding  

[NUTs]

apanda999

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:23 am
Once you go down in diameter you should be fine. And enjoy! xd

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:38 pm
thanks biggrin i just recently got a smaller diameter put in (the 2 week downsize thing) and it's such a pleasure. the bigger one just HUNG out of my mouth, now it's more snug and i'm happier. the piercer even said it's possible eventualy i'll need an even smaller one because my lip will say a little big for like a month (iunno if thats with everyone or just ppl with biggish lips) so yeah, yays for smaller diameter!  

[NUTs]

-Panty.Waste-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:39 pm
I know they have plastic backed studs for the labret. I'm going to have to get one because my gums are slowly receeding. I'm not sure about the rings though.  
Facial & Oral Piercings

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff