Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Back to Guilds

Dedicated to bringing Chinese and friends from all over the world together. 

Tags: China, Chinese, friendship, Culture 

Reply *~ International Chinese Unite ~*
Chinese people all look the same...? Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Niphredil Ithilmir

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:42 am
BBC Article

This has always amused me.. what do you guys think? Is it only Chinese people, or do people of every race have problems with those of every other race? Are there some which are easier to tell than others? Do you have problems yourself? Personally I've never had problems like this, but I do know many who can't tell the difference between all the Chinese people in my year..

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:49 am
*sigh* I'm Chinese and I look similiar to a korean guy in my class sweatdrop  

sleepychinese

sasa_powa_4eva

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:57 am
Hum... that's what most Caucasian says but I dont think so... each individual looks differently. I can't differentiate asians from which part of Asia though. Even people say I look like an asian but not Chinese. (I'm actually a 100% Chinese)  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:32 pm
I think they all look different.

It's just, I have a bad memory and can't tell them apart.

>.>

l-loney Sempai

Niphredil Ithilmir

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:50 pm
xD Yeah, I always know names and faces, just not together..

I think it's quite easy to tell between different parts of Asia, though..

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:00 pm
Niphredil Ithilmir
xD Yeah, I always know names and faces, just not together..

I think it's quite easy to tell between different parts of Asia, though..

Hum... really?! O.O You're good! >.<  

sasa_powa_4eva

Niphredil Ithilmir

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:34 pm
I find it easier than, say, telling French and Eng people apart..

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:51 pm
I started speaking canto to this dude in my chem class... turns out he was thai. sweatdrop  

Tokioka

Minielf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:33 pm
I'd have to agree with that article. Chinese people, and Asians in particular, are very hard to differentiate, since there's so many of them. Particularly Chinese of the Han variety; it's very hard to pick out distinctive faces since so many Han men and women look the same. But non-Han Chinese are much easier to tell apart, either by their darker skin tone, distinctive hair styles or the shape of their faces.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:01 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Sin can tell races [not sure if that`s the right word to use but meh] apart by their eyes.

And if not their eyes, their face.

Unles they`re mixed. Like Sin.

xD

Sin thinks that people of other races, eg. English, find it harder to tell eg. Chinese people apart then other Chinese people do.

And Sin doesn`t think she`s making sense anymore,

So I`ll shut up.

xP

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. || My doorknob owns You. || User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

xiiao-ai

Niphredil Ithilmir

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:41 am
@'elfy - Hmmn. I know what you mean about Han Chinese.. but actually it's purely because they're the vast majority of Chinese people, no?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:33 am
Niphredil Ithilmir
@'elfy - Hmmn. I know what you mean about Han Chinese.. but actually it's purely because they're the vast majority of Chinese people, no?

Yes that's right. Han Chinese are the most numerous single ethnic race in the world, and given that the Han generally don't have as many variations as other races, it makes it even harder to tell apart individual people.  

Minielf

` T a p i o c a `

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:35 am
(¨`¤
(¨*·.¸(¨*·.¸`·.¸
´·.¸.¤Sapphire´·.¸) `·.¸)

Hmm...

I am currently confused on what asian I am...
Cos I asked my mum and I ended up finding out grandparents were Chinese who moved to Vietnam...so I'm kinda Viet+Chinese at the mo...or I might be more o__O;;
- doesn't wanna know cos its too complicated to figure out own ethnicity -

I can actually tell by skin tone and eyes...nothing else...

Can't really say I can tell by hair style...cos I recently got my hair cut to some Japanese/anime-y type hair >____>;; (according to my parents opinions) but the person who cit it was from HK~

¤´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) .·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`Dragon¤.¸.·`

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:54 am
Japanese fashions and stuff tend to spread across to TW and HK and Korea v quickly, and then into mainland China..

Niphredil Ithilmir

Minielf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:58 am
Yeah the young Chinese from Hong Kong and then S.E China have all taken up the crazy Japanese Hair-does. Some of the older folks, especially the overseas Chinese, are doing the same. I'm one of the few Chinese who refuses to trick up my hair; it's in the typical 'bowl-cut' style that's so common in books. xd  
*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff