Welcome to Gaia! ::

::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Back to Guilds

The only guild on Gaia where hardcore Resident Evil fans can come and experience complete safe haven. Welcome! 

Tags: Resident Evil, Biohazard, Raccoon City, T-Virus, Umbrella 

Reply ::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::
Biohazard EXTREME's Resident Evil Articles Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:20 pm
Think of this as a magazine and I'm writing Resident Evil related articles for it. What is it really? Well, it's my homework. As you may or may not know, I am taking Video Game design, so I'll be bringing a lot of these. And since a lot of them require research, I feel that I deserve to share them with you, Guild members. Hell, you never know, you might learn something new.
This is NOT somethin for you to use as your own homework. If you do that, you're a noob. But feel free to paraphrase.

Quote:
October 24, 2006

The Root of Resident Evil 4

One of my many favorite video game releases since the year 2000 is Resident Evil 4. The interesting thing about this particular game is that it borrowed a lot of aspects from many different movies and games that have been created throughout history. For that particular reason it not only gives an intense cinematic experience, but an extremely fun gameplay. This could be the reason why it won “Best Game of the Year” at the 2006 Spacey Awards. However, to understand the ingenuity of its many aspects, we must look at the games from which Resident Evil 4 borrowed its concepts in the first place.
In 1974, Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson published a table-top game called Dungeons and Dragons, which is considered the mother of modern Role Playing Games. Since then, the RPG genre evolved a lot, and developed into many famous video game series, including Final Fantasy, Xenosaga and Shadow Hearts. Resident Evil 4 a couple of features of a common Role Playing Game. This includes the shopping system. As you progress through the game, you accumulate money and use it to purchase weapons, equipment and healing items. Just the same, in Resident Evil 4 you purchase different weapons and upgrade them to be more powerful. You also get to purchase body armor and sell various items to the Merchant character. The shopping system is very popular to the Role Playing Game genre and Resident Evil 4 adopted it.
In 1987, Konami released a video game which is typically considered the first ‘Tactical Espionage Action’ title. It inspired many espionage titles, and developed into the Metal Gear Solid series, a major money maker for Konami. However, Resident Evil did not borrow the sneaking espionage factor from it. Instead, it borrowed the communication system. Ever since the first Metal Gear, a lot of the storyline progresses through radio communication. Resident Evil 4 has radio communication aspect that, interface wise, looks a lot like that of Metal Gear Solid—two windows with the sending and receiving character’s portraits on the upper part of the screen with the text of the radio transmission on the bottom. It bears a lot of resemblance to that of Metal Gear Solid.
In 1989, Capcom released a game in Japan called Sweet Home for the NES. The game had a lot of Role Playing Game aspects, but by many, it is considered to be the first Survival Horror Game, the very genre that Resident Evil belongs to. In fact, Shinji Mikami, the creator of Resident Evil himself, confirmed that Resident Evil was inspired by Sweet Home. A perfect example of this is the door opening system that was in the original Resident Evil games, but was abandoned in Resident Evil 4 due to the fact that the game no longer needs to load the arena that leads to the next room. Either way, Sweet Home inspired the Resident Evil series, which means that Resident Evil 4 would not exist without it.
In 1991, Rare released a fighting sidescroller called Battletoads for various platforms. One of the features of Battletoads was the hover-bike system. The heroes would mount floating motorcycles and engage into a high speed chase that included fighting off enemies, avoiding obstacles and jumping ramps. In the very end, Resident Evil 4 borrowed that concept. Leon, the main hero of Resident Evil 4 mounts a jet ski and rides through a narrow water path having to avoid obstacles such as walls and stalagmites and jumping ramps in order to escape from an explosion. The fans of Battletoads should immediately recognize the resemblance. Even though Resident Evil 4 is 3D, it even feels the same as the Battletoads hover-bike chases.
In 1992 Infogrames released a Survival Horror title called Alone in the Dark for DOS. First of all, the fact that this game was the first game to use 3D characters means that it could be considered the origin of the modern 3-D game. However, to be more specific, the game was very influential in Resident Evil’s original interface. The game had no life bars or ammo indicators on screen during gameplay and the backgrounds for it were pre-rendered and did not actually consist of real time polygons. This method of interface inspired Resident Evil and many other games, including Final Fantasy, when it first entered the 3-D era.
In 1996, Capcom released a game in Japan called Biohazard for the Sony PlayStation. In North America, this game was released as Resident Evil. Although Resident Evil was not the first Survival Horror game, it was one that boosted the popularity of this ever growing genre. Naturally, it also started the storyline that has been developed into Resident Evil 4.
Many features that Resident Evil 4 borrowed from other games were non existent in the previous Resident Evil titles. However, Resident Evil 4 was when the series really took a step in gameplay. Before that, the only real progress that Resident Evil games experienced were the graphics and the storyline, along with a minor special feature in every game. However, Resident Evil 4 completely redefined the Survival Horror genre, mixing it with Action and RPG like never before.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:22 pm
Man... my Language Arts teacher would be put to shame with writing like that. xd  

Canas Renvall
Vice Captain

Hollow Shaman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:51 am
Better Then my paper on the theroy of evloution... emo  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:44 pm
The following is not for school, I just simply wanted to write it:

The signs are all there. The creator of the series ReGenesis has to be a major Resident Evil fan. Let me present to you my argument:

The series is called ReGenesis, just as the book based on the first Resident Evil movie, which was called Resident Evil Genesis, or RE Genesis.

The series itself is ABOUT viruses and genetic research and manipulation. Any Resident Evil fan would be interested in those kinds of things.

The series has two characters named Jill and Carlos. And if you're a fan of the books, then David won't be a meaningless name to you either. David is the lead character of the show. There's also a Bob, but I don't want to delve too deeply into it.

Episode five of the series features a brief cameo by the woman who did Ada's voice, as well as a more major guest appearance by the man who did Wesker's voice.

I think that's plenty of evidence that the creator--of what's possibly the best Canadian series I've ever watched, and much better than many American series that I enjoy--is a big Resident Evil fan.  

Biohazard EXTREME

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:35 am
Well, since I haven't been writing any Resident Evil related articles for school lately, I decided to enlighten you with something personal.

As you may or may not know, I have been searching for that Biohazard techno remix released a long time ago, and once I found it I ceased the opportunity to get it.
Now, I've been listening to it a lot, and I decided to write an article about how this song represents a Resident Evil game.
The song can be listened to here, and you might want to be listening to it as you read this.

0:00 - We start off with a strong kick drum, and some synthesized accompaniment. It's an intro, and a strong intro at that, like every Resident Evil game which starts with a strong intro. You know the game's gonna be good.
0:28 - The female scream in the song represents the beginning of the game as well as the beginning of the monsters, (most likely zombies) which, from then on, the beat starts, as the gameplay does. For a while, you're fighting off monsters and solving puzzles.
0:58 - Another female scream. Another monster. Like in every Resident Evil game, a new monster usually makes an entrance, whether it's the Cerberus in RE1, the Licker in RE2, the Brain Eater in RE3 or the Bandersnatch in RE:CV.
1:00 - From here on, the game picks up the pace and gets a bit more intense just as the beat does.
1:43 - "Biohazard!" This is where the music starts. The music represents the advancement in the storyline. After much time fighting monsters and solving puzzles, the story takes off and you either find out something crucial or meet someone important. Such as the Researcher's Will in RE1, Meeting Ada in RE2, or meeting Nemesis/Carlos in RE3 etc.
2:43 - "I hear what you say," the sinister voice says. This voice represents the game's antagonist, such as meeting Wesker in RE1 in the Residence, Meeting Brian Irons in RE2, or Nicholai in RE3.
3:10 - "Biohazard!" After this, the female voice starts to sing and the music turns really sinister. This represents a major boss fight, whether it be the last boss or simply a really big biss... Could be Plant 42, 2nd Malformation of G, Nosferatu, whatever. The
3:35 - The female voice is transformed into something very creepy and not human sounding. This could represent a transformation, or simply the inhuman nature of the monster. Such is Plant 42, The malformation of G, or Nemesis' mutations.
3:50 - The music gets really intense, much like boss battles and gameplay does.
4:05 - "I hear what you say," Another appearance by the antagonist, this time, perhaps you know their intentions and as you're dealing with it, the music in the background fades in and becomes really fast paced and intense. Much like Meeting wesker, fighting the Tyrant and then running for the Heliport, or meeting Annette before she gets killed, and then getting the self destruct message, or fighting off Nemesis and then getting the Missile attack.
4:33 - Silence. It's over. You managed to escape the dangers....
4:34 - Then you find out there's more. Such can be applied to RE2's Scenario B, or Jill's false ending where she runs out to meet the Helicopter at the clock tower only to have it destroyed, or Claire and Steve getting away on the snowmobile but incidentally getting captured by Alexia. So you have to play some more. And the zombie shooting fun begins all over again.
5:02 - "Biohazard!" More story line progression.
6:03 - Another silence, another deception to an end, such as the destruction of Alexia (Although technically it's the end of the gameplay, there's still the Wesker scene) or killing Nemesis with the rail cannon only to see the blob still moving, "You want STARS? I'll give you STARS!" or even escaping the second scenario in RE2, only to find out G made it on the train.
6:06 - It continues. Then fades out.
6:58 - The song is over. That's pracitcally 7 minutes. Personally it takes me an average of 7 hours to beat a Resident Evil game for the first time (excluding RE4).

So, there you go. The Biohazard Techno Remix is, in itself, a sum up of a Resident Evil game.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:34 pm
Ohh man...such a great instrumental beat. I feel like playing my games all over again.  

MM-212 Beta
Captain

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:44 pm
This article was submitted for my Audio for Video Games 3 class.

Resident Evil was a game that revolutionized and popularized the Survival Horror genre of video games. As such, it was inspired by many American horror movies such as Jaws, Anaconda and possibly about every zombie movie made by George Romero. However, various tracks from Resident Evil portray a clear influence of the popular Hollywood horror franchise, A Nightmare on Elm Street.

The original Nightmare on Elm Street theme was composed by Charles Bernstein and its creepy piano melody invoked a dark feel of isolation. I noticed similar themes expressed in various Resident Evil tracks. Particularly a track from Resident Evil 2 called Secure Place and a track from Resident Evil 3 called Free from Fear. As the names imply, these tracks are present in the games' 'Save' Rooms-the rooms where you don't have to worry about the monsters, and are able to juggle your inventory and save your game. As such, the tracks portrayed in Resident Evil don't sound quite as sinister as the theme from Nightmare on Elm Street. Nevertheless, the lone piano keys definitely portray the theme of isolation and loneliness with a hum in the background. The way the melody is used still invokes the same dark feeling.

Another track from Resident Evil 0 that portrayed a particular influence of Nightmare on Elm Street is a track called Laboratory, where the high and slow piano keys are very similar to those used in a track from Nightmare on Elm Street called Sleep Clinic. Both tracks invoke such a mood that almost says, "There is no imminent danger, but you just don't know when it'll show up." Both tracks are slow and serene, however still very ominous.

Resident Evil used many different Horror franchises as its inspiration, but various parts of the game have music that is definitely reminiscent of A Nightmare on Elm Street-one of the biggest horror franchises in the world. Charles Bernstein did a great job at creating a quiet, solemn theme that invokes isolation and potential danger, and Resident Evil managed to use the same techniques effectively to create its own score for this major Survival Horror video game franchise.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:19 pm
About the techno remix.. I've heard a shortened-- omg it's the RE2 save room music~ *listens* XD  

Canas Renvall
Vice Captain

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:05 pm
Biohazard EXTREME
The following is not for school, I just simply wanted to write it:

The signs are all there. The creator of the series ReGenesis has to be a major Resident Evil fan. Let me present to you my argument:

The series is called ReGenesis, just as the book based on the first Resident Evil movie, which was called Resident Evil Genesis, or RE Genesis.

The series itself is ABOUT viruses and genetic research and manipulation. Any Resident Evil fan would be interested in those kinds of things.

The series has two characters named Jill and Carlos. And if you're a fan of the books, then David won't be a meaningless name to you either. David is the lead character of the show. There's also a Bob, but I don't want to delve too deeply into it.

Episode five of the series features a brief cameo by the woman who did Ada's voice, as well as a more major guest appearance by the man who did Wesker's voice.

I think that's plenty of evidence that the creator--of what's possibly the best Canadian series I've ever watched, and much better than many American series that I enjoy--is a big Resident Evil fan.

And to add to that, a recent episode of this series involved people getting attacked by massive murders of crows. Hundreds of them lunging themselves at people. Sound familiar?  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:22 am
Your article about Resident Evil 4 makes it seem like you 'barely' like RE4... that or your attitude about it has changed somewhat.

You probably still think that Leon is a f** though, right?  

Celestial Fox Frenzi

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:26 am
Yes, it's an old article, and with time, my hatred for RE4 has grown ever stronger.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:19 pm
Biohazard EXTREME
Yes, it's an old article, and with time, my hatred for RE4 has grown ever stronger.

Sweet... bye the way, I saw the 'Bit part Demon' vid you did on Youtube, it was sweet.  

Celestial Fox Frenzi

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:24 pm
Hehe. Thanks. I'm particularly proud of that one. But this is hardly the place to discuss that.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:40 pm
Biohazard EXTREME
Hehe. Thanks. I'm particularly proud of that one. But this is hardly the place to discuss that.

Right, right, got to stay on topic....
Anyway, I can see how you can use those things to prove a fact, but your hatred oppinion can stand as tall as you want it. I didn't know the MGS thing influenced the talk intercom thing in the game.  

Celestial Fox Frenzi

::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces