Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Sailor Moon Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for those who love Sailor Moon. (Big Fourum RP needs more players). 

Tags: Sailor moon, Moon, Roleplay, Anime, Manga 

Reply Home
Should the Sailor Moon storyline remain so simple?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Should it stay as simple as it is?
  No! Someone needs to expand it!
  I like it just as it is. Nothing more needs to be said.
View Results

Lady Regina Jane
Vice Captain

Fashionable Genius

3,275 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:49 am
I think that complexity makes for a good story. I always back this argument up by referring to Star Wars. It was very complex and it's probably because of that that it retained it's popularity and kept going and going like a never-ending story. Sailor Moon should be the same way. That is why I write my Sailor moon-related stories Sci-fi style, not only for the sake of complexity, but also because of compatibility. Because of the Sailor Moon Stars season, I find that Science Fiction is perfectly compatable and therefore the possiblity arises that a new story could be made out of Sailor Moon. As of now, it reamins simple and full of holes that raise so many, many unanswered questions. Most writers of fanfiction seek to keep the simplicity and even though there are good ones out there, they still fail to stir the imagination. I'm not trying to be a critic, but someone needs to speak up.

Another thaing that bothers me is that damn-near all the Silver Millennium stories I've read thus far are all set in a Medieval-type era. I'm lead to believe that Queen Serenity's people had technology comparable to, if not more advanced than that of today. The Manga seriously supports this, mentioning computers and what not. And don't try to say that a Shakesperian settting is more romantic, because I can think of alien world settings more romantic than that. Just because the Earth Kingdom was in it's medieval period when Silver Millennium was destroyed doesn't mean that the Moon Kingdom was, too.

Sorry about the extensive and overly critical rant, but what are everyone else's thoughts on this subject?  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:01 am
Doesanyone have an opinion for this?  

Lady Regina Jane
Vice Captain

Fashionable Genius

3,275 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Ophie In Water

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:29 pm
I do agree with you that the story would be better if it were more complex if more of it was made now I would run and buy it as soon as I could(same thing with Star Wars its more then twice as old as me to and I'm buying books of it now(no realy litaraly right now)) I'm thinking of writing a Chibi-Usa and Sailor Quartet fanfic(when I finish a Star Wars one and a Sailor Moon sub v. Dub fiction)

The musicals did add some storys to it and expanded on ideas from the manga(The Inner senshi being in love with the generals and Pluto even got a song about her love for Endymion. And then there was the Dracul arc which was very good and seemed to leave less plot holes then the anime/manga did....

and on the Silver Melenum bit it seems kind of like what Medeival times would be if it had more advanced technolagy(I wonder why no one noticed those ruins on the moon) yes Midevial times are more romantic but I have writen romance in the Star Wars universe.....and it works(I'm sorry about the many Star Wars refences)  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:16 pm
Yayamaya
I do agree with you that the story would be better if it were more complex if more of it was made now I would run and buy it as soon as I could(same thing with Star Wars its more then twice as old as me to and I'm buying books of it now(no realy litaraly right now)) I'm thinking of writing a Chibi-Usa and Sailor Quartet fanfic(when I finish a Star Wars one and a Sailor Moon sub v. Dub fiction)

The musicals did add some storys to it and expanded on ideas from the manga(The Inner senshi being in love with the generals and Pluto even got a song about her love for Endymion. And then there was the Dracul arc which was very good and seemed to leave less plot holes then the anime/manga did....

and on the Silver Melenum bit it seems kind of like what Medeival times would be if it had more advanced technolagy(I wonder why no one noticed those ruins on the moon) yes Midevial times are more romantic but I have writen romance in the Star Wars universe.....and it works(I'm sorry about the many Star Wars refences)

I agree except for the part about the senshi in love. The only senshi who had any love interest in a Shitennou was Venus... a lot of people seem to think they the senshi and the Shitennou were an item due to that one manga image (which was actually only shown to show that both the Princess of the Moon and the Prince of the Earth had 4 guardians each).  

Darkness Cake

kawaiibunny3

8,100 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:32 pm
there's already to much plot for me! xd

i have a pretty short attention span, I already got all the sailor moon info straight in my head, any more and it might explode... xp

i like sailor moon just the way it is (although, expanding more on the moon kingdom stuff i would heart )  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:05 pm
Yayamaya

it's perfectly alright. I was using Star Wars to get my point about complexity across...... i just can't help thinking that Sailor moon is missing something.... it touched my heart, yet there's a void there... someone should fill it... that's why i write.  

Lady Regina Jane
Vice Captain

Fashionable Genius

3,275 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Syndrama

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:16 pm
The storyline is open partly because it was rushed by the manga company and the anime company and partly because that's just how anime/manga is. Looking at most animes and manga stories, there's never a definite bakground or ending. That leaves it open for doujinshi manga-kas to make a career publishing their own mangas, since Japan allows the publishing of fan-fic mangas. The more a series is doujinishi'd, the more popular it seems.

Essentially: the story is left open for fanfiction to be written.

And while yes, there is technology on the MOON, the Earth is ina feudal era with armor and swords being worn by a magic-ignorant people who consider the beings on the moon to be odd and strange because of what they have. It happened at least a millenium ago. THAT's why people write it as Shakespearian. Really, the Earth should be written as Roman era when doing the math and looking at the names and architecture, but, eh.

It's your taste to go heavily into SciFi, and more power to you for being unique. Keep in mind, however, that Sailor Moon is a Magical Girl genre, and that should remain true no matter what else is inserted into your Fanfiction. Otherwise it's not Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon, it's Star Trek in sailor suits. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:56 am
~Alechsa~
The storyline is open partly because it was rushed by the manga company and the anime company and partly because that's just how anime/manga is. Looking at most animes and manga stories, there's never a definite bakground or ending. That leaves it open for doujinshi manga-kas to make a career publishing their own mangas, since Japan allows the publishing of fan-fic mangas. The more a series is doujinishi'd, the more popular it seems.

Essentially: the story is left open for fanfiction to be written.

And while yes, there is technology on the MOON, the Earth is ina feudal era with armor and swords being worn by a magic-ignorant people who consider the beings on the moon to be odd and strange because of what they have. It happened at least a millenium ago. THAT's why people write it as Shakespearian. Really, the Earth should be written as Roman era when doing the math and looking at the names and architecture, but, eh.

It's your taste to go heavily into SciFi, and more power to you for being unique. Keep in mind, however, that Sailor Moon is a Magical Girl genre, and that should remain true no matter what else is inserted into your Fanfiction. Otherwise it's not Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon, it's Star Trek in sailor suits. 3nodding

well i don't go that far... I do stay true to the magical girl thing and even have written a theory as to how such a phenomenon can be at least somewhat realistic.  

Lady Regina Jane
Vice Captain

Fashionable Genius

3,275 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Home

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers