Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Supernatural and Paranormal Network

Back to Guilds

A guild all about the supernatural and paranormal, allowing for open discussion for believers and sceptics alike. 

Tags: supernatural, paranormal, ghosts, psionics, magic 

Reply Cryptozoology
Dragons - fire breathers Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

redblackspider

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:48 pm
My sister still believes they used to exist...but is she right. The "physics" for a dragon can be worked out like it being about to produce hydrogen so it can fly and breath fire
explain your thoughts...  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:54 pm
There are a few ways in which this would work, and wouldn't work.
I'll post some pros first.

Well, birds have hollow bones, so it could be possible to have bones with chambers of a gas in, such as hydrogen. This would make the bones extremly light weight.
As for fire breathing, it is a simple matter of being able to create and excrete a chemical which burns. Then the dragon would just have to eat stones, like a bird, then these could be stored in areas of the mouth, the be ground together the create friction and sparks.

Any more ideas other people have which I can go with or disprove?  

Lord Jagged
Captain

redblackspider

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:02 pm
Lord Jagged
There are a few ways in which this would work, and wouldn't work.
I'll post some pros first.

Well, birds have hollow bones, so it could be possible to have bones with chambers of a gas in, such as hydrogen. This would make the bones extremly light weight.
As for fire breathing, it is a simple matter of being able to create and excrete a chemical which burns. Then the dragon would just have to eat stones, like a bird, then these could be stored in areas of the mouth, the be ground together the create friction and sparks.

Any more ideas other people have which I can go with or disprove?

all they would need is a stomach full of hydrongen and lightening equipment in there mouth to breah fire they would burp and to fly they wouldnt making them very light  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:04 pm
It wouldn't work. The pressure of the gas inside would either force up through their mouth and they'd fall, or theyir stomach would pop...

And what do you mean by lightening equipment?  

Lord Jagged
Captain

redblackspider

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:53 pm
Some type of spark or something...they could have a speciae l organ to hold the gas in  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:14 pm
redblackspider
Some type of spark or something...they could have a speciae l organ to hold the gas in

Hence the grinding of rocks, such as flint. There is no biological way of creating electrical sparks.  

Lord Jagged
Captain

Spawn of Sephiroth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:21 am
wrong electric eels man  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:08 pm
Spawn of Sephiroth
wrong electric eels man

Do they create sparks?  

Lord Jagged
Captain

Rustig

4,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:48 am
Lord Jagged
Spawn of Sephiroth
wrong electric eels man

Do they create sparks?

Some fish can create electrical fields and generate a discharge up to 1A/500V. My physics is terrible, though, so I dunno if that counts. :/  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:48 pm
your also forgetting that most chemicals when mixed with others are capable of ignighting and who says it has to be gas  

deadtothecold
Crew

Lord Jagged
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:35 pm
deadtothecold
your also forgetting that most chemicals when mixed with others are capable of ignighting and who says it has to be gas

That's a point...

Two areas to hold chemicals in the body, then when sprayed together out of the mouth, they'd combust...
the problem would be if any of the chemcials got on the body, or a secure way of stopping the flame from going back into the animal...or you're just going to get red wall paper..  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:49 pm
Lord Jagged
deadtothecold

That's a point...

Two areas to hold chemicals in the body, then when sprayed together out of the mouth, they'd combust...
the problem would be if any of the chemcials got on the body, or a secure way of stopping the flame from going back into the animal...or you're just going to get red wall paper..
they could also could excreat a special flame resistence liquid from there skin  

deadtothecold
Crew

Lord Jagged
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:31 am
deadtothecold
Lord Jagged
deadtothecold

That's a point...

they could also could excreat a special flame resistence liquid from there skin

Not sure how well that'd work. there aren't many liquid that are good for that, and it's just wash off when the flammable liquid went onto it..  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:23 am
If dragons were real, I saw on T.V., that they had 4 lungs, and they had helium, and as they were to breathe fire, they would find platium depoists in the mountains, and they would eat it. And once helium and plat, combine, it ignites and creates fire. And they would also have a special thing in their mouth, such as alligators when catching their prey, there is a flap that closes it's throat, so it doesn't drown from water. So the dragons would have that, so the fire doesn't get into their lungs. Oh and on the T.V. show, they said that they also had a intestine that held alot of the helium, to make them able to fly.  

Aqua Sage

Gothic Godiva

Devoted Prophet

9,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:31 pm
It really depends on the dragon don't it? I mean Chinese dragons aren't known for breathing fire, or for really being all that belligerent. I mean, to them they're something to be respected. Spirits and/or beings that guard others. Meanwhile to those of us here in the west, dragons are something to be feared. It all depends on the dragon and who you ask.  
Cryptozoology

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff