Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's official Graphic Design Guild for all things profiles, logos, graphics and much much more! 

Tags: Graphic, Design, Digital art, Photoshop, Profiles 

Reply The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild
Guild Refresh! Come post your ideas Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Chisa
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:49 am
Hey all!

Sorry I've been completely inactive here for like... a year sweatdrop I'm really keen to get this guild active again though, because I'm sure it helped me have the drive to really pursue a graphic design career and the number of members and member applications really shows that people want this guild.

Some of you who keep checking in have noticed that the guild has been really inactive in recent months. I guess you can't really blame it - it hasn't got an active captain or crew sweatdrop We're working to change that now though, so lets here some suggestions!

Here's things I can think of so far:

- New graphics! Front page design, guild button, thread graphics... maybe even a logo? What we have now is dated and a bit inconsistent - we're a graphic design guild so it would be really cool to get some consistent branding going on.

- Sort out crew members - some of our crew have become inactive, so we'll need to contact them or find replacements - any takers?

- new subforums - a critique subform and general chat subforum have been suggested, which I think are great ideas. I wouldn't mind seeing something for career, studies and portfolio advice as well. Anything else?

- new contests - I don't think we have the resources to continue giving out a letter prize like previously sweatdrop Would you guys still be interested in a contest with just prestige as the award? And maybe a cool graphic or something whee

- guild profile? Have you seen the Gaia Action News profile? It would be interesting to have something like that with more of a graphic design orientation.

- guild website - I know a bit more about CMS's now, so if we make one it should be easier to update xd Any suggestions on what it might include and how it might be run?

Any other ideas?  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:04 am
what CMS do you intend on running? joomla ?  

GhoSt-X

Chisa
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:24 am
What's joomla like? I managed to set up a decent group blog with WordPress, but haven't really played around with much else to see whats available for that kind of thing. Something blog-like that allows multiple authors would be ideal, I guess.

But the thing is - do we really want a website? It's an extra thing to maintain, and I think the priority should really be trying to promote activity within the guild first 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:07 am
yeah well . .this should be out "website" anyway .. lol

if we used a separate site it wouldn't really be a gaia guild anymore would it ..

ohh well .. ill think about it more after exams...  

GhoSt-X

miigiro

3,500 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:10 am
Well, I did post some suggestions on that one suggestion thread thingy...I'll post it after I finish posting this. Anyways, I like the idea of a website. It's a ways for us to expand some more on our guild! That'll be cool, and I know Chisa rocks at making sites razz Let me know if you need me for anything. I have to worry about college courses, but then I'm pretty sure I could handle some of this too. Okay!!???

PREVIOUS QUITE FROM SUGGESTION THREAD:
I HAVE A LOT OF SUGGESTIONS!

Like I've posted in that one topic I made, we need to be more active. Yes, we all have a busy life, I have an extremely busy life, but as a way to run away for a while, I come here! But there's nothing going on here, so it'bd be somuch better if we spiced it up. Not only the crew, but also the members. We all need to figure out a way to be active. I'm not sure how a guild works, but is there a way that you could email all group members? Ahah, that probably is a hassle. But somehow we need to remind people that this guild still exists. All the topics I look at had posts that were months ago! And the contests that were ran are now dead. WE NEED HELP! If there is a way to contact members all in one, or somehow, or whatever, we need to show that we are alive. For instance, an email like this:
-------------------------------
Hi! My name is Sue and I just wanted to see how you're doing. I just wanted to let you know that our May contest has finally ended, and a new contest is being started for November. We want to see your beautiful talent, so please participate! In this contest, you will be...

IF you have any suggestions about our guild, contest, or anything else, feel free to comment in our comment section. Also, check out this cool graphic site (post a member's site, or any site that has cool graphics). Hope it gives you inspiration!
-------------------------------
Also, you could have different threads! Like a rating thread that rates avatars, profiles, individual sites (website page should be updated). And like I did above, maybe a guild that brings attention to a member's site. you could also make a website for this guild. That would be cool! But all this could only happen if everyone was active!  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:41 am
Yay for suggestions! Personally I really think we need to concentrate on increasing activity and quality within the guild before spreading out to a site and things, so we don't end up spreading ourselves too thin. It's definitely something we should keep in mind for the future though 3nodding

As far as I know there isn't any way to PM everyone in a guild (can captains do that Silver??). We used to run a monthly newsletter, but it very difficult PMing everyone individually because we have a few hundred members now xp

But after we get a few ideas organised and have the guild at a point where returning members will really have something to see, we could send out PM's to everyong using a mule and have everyone friend that account, then use the friends@gaia feature to PM future newsletters. Linking them to this would be a good start to get everyone involved in refreshing this guild.

Rating avatars is moving a bit far from what the guild is about, so I'd prefer we not have that unless we end up with a random chat subforum. I don't like the idea of rating in general, but having a critique forum would be great ^_^ I also really like the idea of having a featured member, and pimping out their site and such.

I have a few ideas but am sooo beat now, I'll post them tomorrow!  

Chisa
Vice Captain

miigiro

3,500 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:05 am
Yay for Chisa! Everything sounds great. I agree, concentrate on getting us back on track instead of expanding our guild. razz Yay.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:16 pm
Hey everyone!! Such great ideas. I'm so excited!! Sounds like a good idea to improve on what we have before expanding, I agree.

Just to let you know, I'm really excited about all this, but I'll only be online a little bit in the next couple days, I'm recovering from getting my tonsils taken out... Ugh what a process this has been. As soon as I feel better I plan on jumping into this! Thanks for everyone's help!

There isn't a way to PM everyone in a guild that I know of, but we started a mule named Miss GD, so if we can get everyone to be her friend, we could send out the newsletter that way.

Keep the ideas coming! biggrin

I think I'll add that subforum, and make it "Critiques and Suggestions". Simple as that. I'm pretty sure I can change the name later if someone has a better idea.  

SilverVixen
Vice Captain

Chisa
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:18 pm
Another idea which has been tossed around a bit before but was never really acted on - we should have a guild logo contest. I could do up a quick tutorial on logo design basics (or if anyone else wants to they can), and we can use the winning entry as a basis for other branding and graphics 3nodding The winner would need a pretty nifty prize of course, I can look into getting something big for it.

Since funding might be a bit low for contests as such, how about a monthly challenge instead? So instead of us posting a theme and people competing for a prize, someone could do a quick intro/tutorial for a particular thing then others could make something for it and give each other feedback. You wouldn't get a prize out of it, but it would allow for easier critique and feedback and we could make the themes things that people can put in their portfolios at the end of it. Having a good intro might get people started with ideas for how to go about doing it too - almost like a class, but without the pressure ^_^

As far as more subforums and other activity go, maybe it would be a good idea to discuss what this guild is really about to get a clear idea of how we can promote activity? Critique is a big one of course, and we're now set for that 3nodding What else defines us? I'll have a think about this and come back with more suggestions in a bit whee  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:02 am
What about having a guild mule, so you can quickly get in contact with all the members? Maybe a monthly letter would be good, as well? And has anyone considered making an ad for the Registered Guilds section of Gaia? *I have a particular knack for that*  

Koiyuki

Mind-boggling Codger

1,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50

miigiro

3,500 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:12 pm
About the mule thing. I already have Miss GD saved as a friend, but is that all I need to do? Ahaha, when you say mule, I get confused, I mean I am confused.

I love the themed challenge thing. Plus, the tutorial makes it easier for everyone to participate! ANd yes, we do need a logo contest. AHha. It would be fun! I agree, we should make challenges that would also help members improve their graphic design skills, and also provide a way for them to create things for a portfolio. I love that idea. I think that's even better than a prize. I mean yeah, I prize is great once in a while, but that should be concentrated on more major things.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:55 am
mrmrs_sukiher
About the mule thing. I already have Miss GD saved as a friend, but is that all I need to do? Ahaha, when you say mule, I get confused, I mean I am confused.

I love the themed challenge thing. Plus, the tutorial makes it easier for everyone to participate! ANd yes, we do need a logo contest. AHha. It would be fun! I agree, we should make challenges that would also help members improve their graphic design skills, and also provide a way for them to create things for a portfolio. I love that idea. I think that's even better than a prize. I mean yeah, I prize is great once in a while, but that should be concentrated on more major things.

Ahh, I didn't see any announcements about her, so I didn't really notice her. I'm hoping that this guild can put her to good use again, though. And yes, building your portfolio is a wonderful thing to do. Anyone have ideas for contests?  

Koiyuki

Mind-boggling Codger

1,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Chisa
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:20 am
Koi, that's what we were talking about sweatdrop Miss GD used to be our newsletter mule, although the stress of sending out hundreds of PMs each time got a bit much. If we can do that once and have everyone interested friend her it will make that process much easier.

I'm not really familiar with the Registered Guilds - I thought it was just a forum? So do you mean making an advertising thread? It's a good idea to keep in mind for the future, but we have plenty of current members so I think we should concentrate on working with what we have before expanding 3nodding

mrmrs_sukiher, on Gaia 'mule' just means a secondary account, most people use them for storing items and things xd Yup, if you have her as a friend then when we send out the newsletter via friends@gaia you will receive it. We should probably also publish the newsletter in a guild thread and in her journal for people who don't want the PM notification but are still interested 3nodding

Yeah, that was the main idea with the tutorial 3nodding Even links to references and things would be a good starting point for some people. I think not having a prize puts the emphasis more on critique and growth, since its kinda hard to critique something when you're competing. This wa you're just striving for self improvement rather than beating others.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:41 am
Chisa
Koi, that's what we were talking about sweatdrop Miss GD used to be our newsletter mule, although the stress of sending out hundreds of PMs each time got a bit much. If we can do that once and have everyone interested friend her it will make that process much easier.

I'm not really familiar with the Registered Guilds - I thought it was just a forum? So do you mean making an advertising thread? It's a good idea to keep in mind for the future, but we have plenty of current members so I think we should concentrate on working with what we have before expanding 3nodding

mrmrs_sukiher, on Gaia 'mule' just means a secondary account, most people use them for storing items and things xd Yup, if you have her as a friend then when we send out the newsletter via friends@gaia you will receive it. We should probably also publish the newsletter in a guild thread and in her journal for people who don't want the PM notification but are still interested 3nodding

Yeah, that was the main idea with the tutorial 3nodding Even links to references and things would be a good starting point for some people. I think not having a prize puts the emphasis more on critique and growth, since its kinda hard to critique something when you're competing. This wa you're just striving for self improvement rather than beating others.

Okies. Maybe there should be something saying that you should add Miss GD as your friend, after you join the guild? And who would be in control of her, and the newsletter?  

Koiyuki

Mind-boggling Codger

1,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50

miigiro

3,500 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:56 pm
Yes, I agree. But then I remember that Miss GD added me after I joined, I think. But I can't wait until we do something. biggrin  
The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff