Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
You're Favourite Religious Quotes Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lee Retalis

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:00 pm
I recently bought a new button today to put on my hat biggrin
It reads:
"Sorry I missed church....I was too busy practicing witchcraft and becoming a lesbian."

Lol My mom hated it. And I knew she would. xd
The rest of my family laughed. lol.

So, fellow athiests, what is your favourite religion/athiesm quote?  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:03 pm
Just... no. No. -.-

This topic is exactly what I don't want to see in this guild. It promotes intolerance and hatrid of religion, and should be promptly locked and disposed of.

Thank you.  

Tenth Speed Writer

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:15 pm
Hm...That's funny, since the quote in my signature (At the very bottom) used to be a link to the headpage of GAU. confused

Me? I've always liked,"I have nothing against God...It's his fan club I can't stand."

Not to be intolerant or anything. I realise that most religious people are perfectly fine people who won't press their beliefs or anything. I have quite a few devout friends.

But you must admit that there are a few jackasses out there that make a bad impression of their group. Just like any group, atheists included.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:49 am
Tenth Speed Writer
Just... no. No. -.-

This topic is exactly what I don't want to see in this guild. It promotes intolerance and hatrid of religion, and should be promptly locked and disposed of.

Thank you.

I wasn't trying to offend anybody.
I was just trying to have some fun. I am tolerant of religions, I live in a religious family and go to a catholic school.
I just don't like being serious all the time is all.

I'm sorry my attempts at humor caused such a problem for you...  

Lee Retalis

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:43 am
Lee Retalis
Tenth Speed Writer
Just... no. No. -.-

Thank you.

I was just trying to have some fun. I am tolerant of religions, I live in a religious family and go to a catholic school.

Yeah, well get this. I will not stand for my guildmates to sink to the same level as certain Christian groups I'd like to avoid mentioning. You percieve yourself to be better than them in the same way they do you, so I'd advise you to take the moral high road this one time and *NOT* drop down to heckling them behind their backs.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:53 am
Tenth Speed Writer
Lee Retalis
Tenth Speed Writer
Just... no. No. -.-

Thank you.

Yeah, well get this. I will not stand for my guildmates to sink to the same level as certain Christian groups I'd like to avoid mentioning. You percieve yourself to be better than them in the same way they do you, so I'd advise you to take the moral high road this one time and *NOT* drop down to heckling them behind their backs.

Relax, dude. By making this guild, we've probably already offended them. There's plenty of intolerance towards religion in this guild. That's sort of the point of being an atheist. You don't accept a god. By doing that you're already intolerant.

Hell, all you need to do is go to the "Things that make you giggle" thread. There's some really funny intolerant stuff there.  

Lethkhar

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:37 pm
Lethkhar
Tenth Speed Writer
Lee Retalis
Tenth Speed Writer
Just... no. No. -.-

Thank you.

Relax, dude. By making this guild, we've probably already offended them. There's plenty of intolerance towards religion in this guild. That's sort of the point of being an atheist. You don't accept a god. By doing that you're already intolerant.

Hell, all you need to do is go to the "Things that make you giggle" thread. There's some really funny intolerant stuff there.

No, I don't need to relax. The "point of being an atheist" is an open admission of having no faith in a higher power. It's easily possible to do so without becoming intolerant toward religious groups, and such is a failing posessed by several theists that I believe should have no place here what-so-ever.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:48 pm
Change the topic to just being for your favorite religious quotes. (Better yet, wait until this discussion dies and then make a new thread for religious quotes xD)
A thread to discuss favorite religious quotes is acceptable, but there's no need to specify it as 'anti-religion.' Otherwise, most of these would probably just be things to post in the 'things that make you giggle' thread, like the example of the button. Which is fine, we just don't need two threads for funny things.
A religious quote thread could spark some discussion though. 3nodding

"There's plenty of intolerance towards religion in this guild. That's sort of the point of being an atheist. You don't accept a god. By doing that you're already intolerant. "
- Not true at all and that's not what I want this guild to be. Individual people might be intolerant, but there is nothing about being atheist/theist that means you have to be intolerant.
I think I would agree though that being atheist means you are more likely to have a sense of humor that lets you make fun of theism. People are always more likely to be able to make fun of something that they aren't. But there's a difference between thinking something's funny and thinking what's behind the joke is serious. My own sense of humor is pretty open and that's created conflict for the guild before. (Some of you probably get the reference xD)

There's a difference between being irreverent and open with your humor, and actually being intolerant of others' beliefs in practice. It's a tough thing to define though. Even if you know all atheists are not dumb, does it help anything to make a joke and say 'yeah, no wonder he didn't understand, he's atheist' ? Is it different if the other person knows you're joking? So I can see what Tenth Speed (addseale, yes?) means too. Even if you think you are just making a joke, it could still come off as insensitive and reveal some intolerance. You are entitled to keep your sense of humor and express your opinions. Things for me on this subject aren't so cut and dry as Tenth Speed's suggestions would like.

Yes, I agree that there are things in the 'things that make you giggle' thread that are funny because they are irreverent. It's a humor thread and unlike this thread it doesn't ask for things that are anti-religion. If people want to post things there that are irreverent but they consider them funny, then they can. It's different to specifically ask people to post things that are anti-religion.

That said, if it was a general religious quote thread then I'd only ask that people keep it somewhat serious. Otherwise, if it is a quote that's just supposed to be funny- then that goes in the 'Things that make you giggle' thread.
If it is a religious quote that happens to be intolerant, then it can be posted and discussed.
There's no reason to have the guild so politically correct that nothing can be talked about.

Sorry if I rambled a bit. xD

"such is a failing posessed by several theists that I believe should have no place here what-so-ever."
Not sure quite what you meant but if you have something specific to say about the guild or members, PM me.

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:04 pm
Tenth Speed Writer
Lethkhar
Tenth Speed Writer
Lee Retalis
Tenth Speed Writer
Just... no. No. -.-

Thank you.

No, I don't need to relax. The "point of being an atheist" is an open admission of having no faith in a higher power. It's easily possible to do so without becoming intolerant toward religious groups, and such is a failing posessed by several theists that I believe should have no place here what-so-ever.

By having no faith in a higher power, you are not accepting their beliefs. By not accepting their beliefs, you are being intolerant to their beliefs in a sense of the word. You are rejecting them simply by claiming to be an atheist.

I think you meant "such is a failing posessed by several atheists that I believe should have no place here what-so-ever."  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:52 pm
Tenth Speed Writer
Lethkhar
Tenth Speed Writer
Lee Retalis
Tenth Speed Writer
Just... no. No. -.-

Thank you.

I don't appreciate being talked to like that for (what is now apparent to be) a simple mistake.
I do not "percieve myself to be better than them in the same way they do you." I do not percieve myself to be "better" then anyone.
This is an assumption I take very offensively.
I do not think I'm intolerant at all.
It was not my intention to offend anyone in any way.
I was not trying to break any rules, I was not trying to piss off anyone.
I was simply trying to have fun.
Although, I would like to congratulate you for assuming things about me and making me feel completely unwelcome for one mistake when I was honestly just trying to make what I had thought was a harmless discussion.
Good day sir.

Thank you to all who were nicer about it, I appreciate your courtesy more then you know.  

Lee Retalis

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:56 pm
I've already apologized to caustic personally for my response here, but I suppose I should just come out with it.

Things like this, I see amplified in my school every single day, to the point of utter disgust. To see those I call my guildmates acting in a similar way... it suppose it must have struck at a very, very raw nerve.

I really, deeply am sorry.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:05 am
"If Ignorance of nature gave birth to the gods, knowledge of nature is destined to destroy them."

that's one of my favorites... then again... i like a lot is Epicurus'

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"

but since that last one has a lot of interpretations and what not... i sometimes just stick to the one i copied.  

AnonymouZ

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:02 pm
Actually... Come to think of it, though I wouldn't call it anti-religious exactly, a quote from FSTDT sticks to mind.

"Atheists are the pinnacle of ignorance", or words to that effect. I ElOhEl'd.

Another would be from chapel a few months back. My attention had started to fade for the rock-and-roll puppet show that a traveling group was doing, but it was pulled back when, out of context to me, the principal took over commenting "It's true, God DOES love each and every child in this room in that special way."  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:19 pm
Tenth Speed Writer
Lee Retalis
Tenth Speed Writer
Just... no. No. -.-

Thank you.

Catholics? rofl rofl rofl rofl  

The Seven Deadly Sinz

The Seven Deadly Sinz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:23 pm
No seriously though, :

"I believe in God." xp lol i'm not trying to be mean either, but there is no way to explain the way i heard it that day. I visited an african american church that day, and the guy's yelling it at the top of his lung, and it was just so funny *sniff* rofl  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff