Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
B.C.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

cup_noodles

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:46 pm
This may be completely unrelated to anything in this guild, but this has bugged me for a really, really long time.

Why is time recorded in B.C. (before Christ)? Why not before Buddah or Muahamud(sp?)? What made Christ so special as for everyone to record time according to his birthday? WHY? WHY?!!

Glad's that's off my chest.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:52 pm
It's technically Latin.

And only Christian textbooks use B.C.. It's B.C.E now.  

Tenth Speed Writer

cup_noodles

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:55 pm
Tenth Speed Writer
It's technically Latin.

And only Christian textbooks use B.C.. It's B.C.E now.

Well I'm happy now. xd

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:51 am
Some christian dude calculated christ's birthday... or his resurrection... something like that. Later on, when some historians (or some of those people that liked to write books) decided to follow the dating of these christian dude, it started to become very common... as in people thought it was a good way to count years, since it pressumed to be accurate and since the world was becoming christian, everyone thought it cool. (they used to go by the kingdom related events, for example the start of that kings rule, or that kindgdoms fall, or like the chinese and their dynasties)

Then later on, people like atheists and agnostics or regular scientists said: "******** that!" and created the "C.E. (Common Era) and the B.C.E. (Before Common Era) year count... altho it is still based on the year of christ's birthday... so go figure...

but whatever... this topic is kind old too... xD  

AnonymouZ

The Seven Deadly Sinz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:52 pm
yup, though B.C. and A.D are still comonly used, the correct term now is B.C.E. and C.E., and again, yes it's all latin like P.M. and A.M.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:32 pm
I still use B.C., and I haven't ever even heard of B.C.E. or C.E., though it doesn't surprise me. I still also use A.D., but this is all because that's just what I learned. And the reason we use it as a measurement is because we use the Christian calendar.  

Phoebos

[Subject to Availability]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:59 pm
Gregorian calender is the international standard and whatnots.

Also, B.C. = B.C.E. ~ Before Common Era

A.D. = C.E. ~ Common Era

Good 'nuff.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:19 pm
Yay for B.C.E. and C.E.! Wooo!!!  

PickleBoy

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:33 pm
anon_nymouz
Some christian dude calculated christ's birthday... or his resurrection... something like that. Later on, when some historians (or some of those people that liked to write books) decided to follow the dating of these christian dude, it started to become very common... as in people thought it was a good way to count years, since it pressumed to be accurate and since the world was becoming christian, everyone thought it cool. (they used to go by the kingdom related events, for example the start of that kings rule, or that kindgdoms fall, or like the chinese and their dynasties)

Then later on, people like atheists and agnostics or regular scientists said: "******** that!" and created the "C.E. (Common Era) and the B.C.E. (Before Common Era) year count... altho it is still based on the year of christ's birthday... so go figure...

but whatever... this topic is kind old too... xD

I believe "some Christian dude" was named Brahe...Or maybe it was Kepler... stressed  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:46 pm
antiangel force
yup, though B.C. and A.D are still comonly used, the correct term now is B.C.E. and C.E., and again, yes it's all latin like P.M. and A.M.

A.D. stands for "Anno Domini", which is Latin for "in the year of our Lord"; but B.C. stands for "Before Christ". That's not Latin.  

The MoUsY spell-checker

The Seven Deadly Sinz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:57 pm
The MoUsY spell-checker
antiangel force

A.D. stands for "Anno Domini", which is Latin for "in the year of our Lord"; but B.C. stands for "Before Christ". That's not Latin.

now that my freind is where you are wrong, yes it is the english translation, but the orignial word for B.C. was latin.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:35 pm
antiangel force
now that my freind is where you are wrong, yes it is the english translation, but the orignial word for B.C. was latin.

What was it? I tried looking it up and I couldn't find it.  

The MoUsY spell-checker

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff