Welcome to Gaia! ::

Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild

Back to Guilds

This is a writer's guild where all can gather for feedback and advice on all mediums of writing. Plus it's a great place for conversation. 

Tags: Writing, Writer, Writer's Block, Critiques, Friends 

Reply Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild
A Writer's Worst Nightmare Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Creeeeeepy.
  DOSHITE, WTF WAS THAT??????
  OMG scary!
  XD, this was funny.
  NIGHTMARES! .....O.O OMG!
  Hated it.
  Pollwhore here for collection
View Results

KirbyVictorious

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:46 pm
Sometimes, I have very strange dreams. In those dreams, I am a famous author, acclaimed for a bestseller that's sweeping the nation. Naturally, I had read my book a million times during editing, so I never bothered to pick up a copy...but when people started to come up to me, telling me ecstatically about what they loved best, I have no idea what they are talking about.

"Oh...yeah," I reply to their comments, excusing myself to pick up a copy of the book that I had apparently written...and unfamiliar words jump out at me, wonderful and musical, but certainly not mine.

And other times it is worse, in that the book under my name is not a bestseller at all. In fact, as people tell me how awful it is, I wonder along with them how it was ever even published. My name is sullied, my career over.

But there are nightmares that are still worse, those where our beloveds, our favorites, our creations die at the hands of some evil, whether we had written this scene or not, haunting our minds and seeming so real that we wake up crying. And for me, these were most common of all.

With a creative mind comes nightmares, whether about the book itself or the idea of having your name in print. As writers, we dreamed by day...but at night, insecurity and fear settled in.

So it was this insomnia, and this nightmare-fueled determination, that saw me up late at night, typing away at my computer, immersed in scenes of love, war, hate, peace, all alike. My characters seemed real to me at these times, in their happiness and pain, and I felt in tune with every one of them, from the main characters to the villian to every last kid in the streets. At last, wearied by the mental strain, I ended the paragraph with a flourish and resolved to finish the scene in the morning.

Immediately exhausted, I sank into dreamless sleep.

Early the next morning, I climbed out of bed, grabbed some breakfast, and got back to work. But the moment I sat before my computer, I knew something was wrong. The screensaver was not on, the monitor asking for my password, though I had not touched it for hours. Strange...I typed in my password and clicked Enter, patiently drawing back from the keyboard to let the slow computer work in peace.

But I did not need to. A small window came up, a red X adorning its left side.

PASSWORD INCORRECT. PLEASE TRY AGAIN.

Strange...

I typed my password again--to no avail. No matter how many times I typed it, experimenting with caps and spelling, nothing happened.

I cursed; I was locked out of my own computer. I selected the Forgot Your Password? option and followed its directions, finally finishing the chapter and forgetting all about the strange incident.

At midnight I got home, from a party with friends, and once again, found my screensaver gone. But this time, the password box was different.

There were already letters inside it. Nine of them, I counted in bemusement. Curious, eyebrows furrowed, I hit the Enter key.

The password box went away, and my document popped up on the screen. I immediately went to the Account Settings menu, scrolling around until I saw the option CHANGE PASSWORD.

I pressed it.

There it was, the blank spaces. Old Password, New Password, Confirm...and the question it would ask me, a hint, if I had ever thought to look at it. I read it, once, twice, hardly believing it. INstead of the paradox of a trick question I had had before, that matched perfectly with my long, 15-syllable password, five words sat innocently before my eyes.

"Do you think you're dreaming?"

Nine letters...on a sudden, hypnotic inspiration, I typed in the first word that came to mind.

N...i...g...h...t...m...a...r...e...

I clicked the APPLY button.

My password had changed. Now, it was nothing.

But once, it had been the most sinister word I could imagine.

That night, I dreamed that not only was I a writer, I was a character in my own book. I fought side-by-side with them, my favorites, watching them amass battle scars, wounds, injuries both mental and physical. I remembered the scene--they were fighting to the doors of a great temple, through endless hordes of the evil army. Here, friends had died, and the enemy had won...but three of the characters made it through, bowing low at the doors of the temple. Suddenly, I was one of them...a red, narrow eye peered at me through a crack in the doors, and dimly I heard it speak. "What is the password?"

"Nothing," I replied. "There is no password."

The red eye closed as the demon inside laughed, and the door swung open into utter darkness.

And then the dream ended, and I was back in my bed, my clock flashing me three bright red numbers.

3:47

I got up, unsettled somehow, and sat befor my computer once more.

The password box was completely gone. My document sat innocently before me, completely exposed.

As if still dreaming, I took hold of the mouse and scrolled downward. There, towards the end...the three characters approached the temple doors and waited for the demon with the red eyes to demand the password.

But after that...everything I had written after that was gone.

"Nightmare," said one of the characters solemnly, and then in black and white before my eyes, all hell broke loose. The demonic apparition attacked them, killing them all...and many others, even itself, in the most gruesome ways I could--and could not--imagine. I stared in horror at the strange, intense style, the unreserved violence, the full descrpitions of every single detail of the cold-blooded murders. I could see it in my mind...

Slowly, my hand shaking, I pressed CTRL+Z--Undo.

Highlighted, more words appeared that were not my own, horrible, gory, yet beautiful...I found that the prose was a master's work, though it was not my own. I pressed the keys again and again until finally, my original words came back. Paranoia rising, I clicked Tools, Options, Security.

Another password. But what should it be?

In a trance, I typed nine letters.

N-I-G-H-T-M-A-R-E.

An error screen popped up, but before I could read what it said, my screensaver appeared.

I screamed, jumping out of my chair.

The monitor was coal-black, with slow, steady drops of red rolling down the sides, collecting in an ever-growing pool at the bottom of the screen.

Frozen with shock, I felt a presence behind me. I was afraid to look...but with some inner insanity guiding my muscles, I felt myself turn and face the unholy beings.

All of them, hundreds and hundreds of faces, pale, bloodstained...all of them were faces I loved.

My characters...

"What do you want?" I whispered to them.

They stared at me, with hollow, feelingless eyes, and with a sudden plummeting of my heart, I realized that they were all dead.

"You were cruel to us," my very favorite woman said coldly. "You slaughtered us, our friends, our family."

"I was orphaned," a girl said vaguely, her voice echoing.

"I was murdered," a tall boy said, with a hollow, sickly voice, blood dripping down his forehead, unnoticed.

"My mother--"

"My town--"

"My life--"

"My hand!" a teenage girl cried. "Look at what you did to my hand!" She brandished a shriveled, useless arm at me, the blackened fingers curled and motionless.

"I didn't...I would never..." I was lost for words. It was true; these people had suffered much misery at my hands, many of them dead, and all of them left miserable by the ravagings of the war I had created.

"I love you all," I said quietly, knowing it was true. "I created you, I love you!"

They laughed at me, hissing laughter that sent chills down my spine.

"If you love us," they said gently, taking me by the arms, "then burn in hell with us!"

And as I let out one last, bloodcurdling yell, trapped in a nightmare, I knew that I had loved them...and I still did...but I had betrayed them. I had had the power to give them a peaceful, happy life, but did not.

I loved them, but I did not deserve their love. In their eyes, I deserved naught but the fires of a hell that I myself had created, long ago, in the beginning.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:25 pm
Beautiful yet haunting. You really hit the nail on the head this time. It really makes you wonder what would happen if your characters were real--all of them. This is wonderful.

Makes me scared to go to sleep... eek 'kay, not really, but still.

The Duchess Grey

Astounding Explorer

Xahmen
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:04 pm
This for some reason reminds me of Stephen King's "The Dark Half".
The idea of an idea becoming extra aware.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:30 pm
I need to read a Stephen King.

I've watched The Secret Window

but that hardly counts.

Aw, damn. My original intention was to make you all scared to go to sleep, like I am...

And the cause?

Two Words: Stay Alive.

Gods, that movie was sick. and the unrated version!

You know, someone actually did that, in like, Europe. Bathed in the blood of young people, that is, to prolong life.

She died of AIDS.

XD! That kills me every time.  

KirbyVictorious

Kattie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:09 am
eek Wow! That is good, girl! Tehehe, I'm so glad I'm always nice to my characters. They don't haunt me. heart  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:08 pm
woot.

I'm not very nice to mine. I deprive them of the happy ending they so deserve, but what they got wasn't too too bad...  

KirbyVictorious

Rosealean

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:27 pm
This kind of does make me afraid to go to sleep....But I will anyway! blaugh

This was hauntingly good and I really liked how it was written! ^_^

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:41 pm
(>^-^)>
<(^-^<)

my fingers are cold O.O  

KirbyVictorious

phantommangagirl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:51 am
Oh my God, this thing was amazing!
At the beginning, I couldn't tell whether you were telling a story or talking about a real-life experience. That's how convincing it was. Amazing, amazing, AMAZING story. Love it! heart  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:19 am
>.<

yay!

>.>
<.<

I liked this story, too.

^^  

KirbyVictorious

_Shiloh Filia_

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:18 am
KirbyVictorious
I need to read a Stephen King.

I've watched The Secret Window

but that hardly counts.

Aw, damn. My original intention was to make you all scared to go to sleep, like I am...

And the cause?

Two Words: Stay Alive.

Gods, that movie was sick. and the unrated version!

You know, someone actually did that, in like, Europe. Bathed in the blood of young people, that is, to prolong life.

She died of AIDS.

XD! That kills me every time.

lol that explains where the idea was inspired by...

As soon as I read this piece I could not help but think of "The Secret Window" because, as you know, he becomes his character or his character comes to life (it is confusing to me!! lol)

but anyway, it was good! bravo! 3nodding

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:27 am
^^  

KirbyVictorious

Arianna La Moire

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:20 pm
Almost any writer's breath caught tight in their throat upon reading this. Perfectly eerie and distribing, beautiful. If makes me wonder what my beloved characters would do if they existed, if they walked, if they breathed.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:25 pm
True, true.

oroginal intention: to keep you alkl awake at night with me, scary-movie-a-thon freaked me out too much.
It turned out really great, actually >.> my first horror work...

since, well, fifth grade at least. Fifth grade was my writing ZENITH.  

KirbyVictorious

lidless_i

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:17 pm
Allow me to present you with a proclimation of a most disturbing nature. Imagine for a moment that the "multiple realities" aspect of quantum physics is applicable to reality. That means that, though the probability is low, the possibility exists that there is a universe out there in which the lives of very real people match those of a work of fiction that you have created. Due to the nature of the theory (as I understand it anyway) the fact that such a possibility exists means that there is, at the very least, one corresponding universe. This leaves us to ponder, is the work of fiction that you create merely a transcript of the universe that the events are based in, or does how you write the book directly effect the universe? I argue that the latter is true to allow for consistency when you edit the work. This means that there is a possibility that the people who've had their lives ruined in your stories may stumble upon a means of transuniversal travel. Perhaps via someone who has already attained the means. They may find out about the works of fiction, had they been published and come to the conclusion that you, as their creator, are responsible for their well being. They will hunt you down and either extract vengance on you or demand that you use this ability to completely control their universe to make their lives absolutely perfect. Possibly at gun or knifepoint.
Imagine that you come home from your day job or school one day to find the lights of the house darkened and a distinct lack of activity taking place inside. You enter, against your better judgement, to find one of your most tortued characters waiting for you. His first action upon your entry is to shoot you in the kneecap from point blank range with the shotgun that he aquired during his transuniversal travels. He goes to explain that this is his first act of revenge, crippling you for what you put him through. His second act is to force you to fix his life, via another work of fiction. After you complete this task, he realizes the importance of having someone who can alter his universe at will around. He uses the staff of the mansion that he had you hook him up with back in his reality to imprison you in the dark depths below, barely kept alive on scant rations by servants who were incapable of caring any less about your well being. You will only be brought into the light to write and fulfill the desires of the character that you created, and tortured in the most agonizing ways imagineable if you refuse to comply.

Woo for getting carried away... that was fun. Writing in second person kinda sucks though... anyway the point is.... well I didn't really have a point. Don't ******** with fictional characters. Also if your most tortured character is a woman, just... you know imagine that I said "she" rather than "he". Oh and one more thing; BOO YA!  
Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff