Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's official Graphic Design Guild for all things profiles, logos, graphics and much much more! 

Tags: Graphic, Design, Digital art, Photoshop, Profiles 

Reply The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild
PC or Mac? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Which do you prefer to use?
PC!
46%
 46%  [ 12 ]
Mac!
26%
 26%  [ 7 ]
I like both equally
15%
 15%  [ 4 ]
I have an even better option
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I don't know enough about one/either to judge
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 26

Chisa
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:51 am
Time to ask the question: which is better, PC or Mac?

I'm only really familiar with PC's, but it seems that Macs have traditionally been used in graphic design and multimedia. I know people who are fiercely dedicated to one, and refuse to acknowledge the advantages of the other, although I'm sure that there are good and bad points for both. Is there anyone here who is familiar with both, and can give an unbiased opinion? What do you prefer working with?  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:41 am
I use a PC because it's easier to find programs for PCs than Macs.

most people I know who prefer Macs say Macs are more stable and Windows are more likely to crash... but I haven't used a PC that's really crashed for a while, and the Macs at school crash every ten minutes [then again, they're old and constantly being used by preppy teens who have no clue how to properly use a computer, so it might have absolutely nothing to do with being a Mac or a PC.]  

Caolfhionn

SilverVixen
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:15 am
I'm more comfortable with PC's as well, but Macs are cool too. I think it all depends on how you take care of your machine... I take good care of mine at home, and have had few problems with it since I've upgraded to XP. However, this stupid machine here at work is just a piece of junk; it takes like a whole minute for an Illustrator file to open!! And I guess it just follows that the Mac my co-worker uses (the only Mac in the office, it just happened to be here when she started) is also pretty messed up. It refuses to connect with the network, and chooses random times to just not work at all. She's lucky tho; she just got a new Dell to work with!! I'm so jealous... and I can only hope the bosses realize that me and my other co-worker need new ones as well. razz !  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:55 am
I'm a lifetime Mac user, and that's my system of choice. The computer seems to handle rendering tasks more easily than PC's, and I have all the software that I need on this computer, so... yeah. I use PC's, they're a necessity to work with because they're cheap and prevalent. I just happen to like Macs more.  

Triskdaemon

Kitsunehime

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:55 pm
PC's . . . And I'm not quite sure why. Maybe because I'm most familiar with them, they have the most programs available, and they have the very handy right-click feature . . .  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:27 pm
My first computer was a Mac, my father bought it when I thought I was going to take a GD class in high school. This was back in the day when Mac's were the graphics computers ...

I recall it was a Performa model and happened to be one of the the worst rated Macs ever made. My next computer was a PC. I haven't used a Mac since then, though I'm sure they are much better than what I had, I wouldn't buy one. I can do everything I need to on a PC and I don't want to have to relearn how to use a computer "crap, right click! right click!"

I think it is personal preference now that Mac's have a wide range of software again. PC's and Mac's both have their bad points, so I guess it's whatever you'd rather put up with most ^^  

Suubi

K. Ueno

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:37 pm
i use a PC at home and Macs at school/work. both have their advantages and disadvantages so it's really a matter of preference, i guess. i'd love to get a Mac to use solely for my design work, though.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:34 pm
Nyxx
i use a PC at home and Macs at school/work. both have their advantages and disadvantages so it's really a matter of preference, i guess.

Ditto. I use a PC at home for fun and a Mac at school and work. I own both a PC and a Mac, but I really only use the Mac when I need to work back and forth between school and home (it's a lap top). I do my other school stuff on my PC, and I find it a bit more frustrating.

I think Mac is better for design; typography is a lot easier to do with a Mac. PC is better for games and most other non-design stuff.  

jam-wired

Marie-Novelle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:55 am
It's all preference really. None is actually better than the other. But I've found that there are more freeware graphics programs available for the PC.

jam-wired

typography is a lot easier to do with a Mac.

I don't understand this. If you use Illustrator for typography, it works the same way on both systems.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:14 pm
I have used good Macs at work and good PCs at home, as well as bad Macs and PCs at school. I have to say that I was raised on MS DOS before I started middle school and then went to PC, which i have always liked best. the programs on the PC seem to me to be more user friendly an logical, where as on a mac, they got too.. oh! look lets make it it all cool and use the word "special" in our menu and make verything 10X more illogical in orginization.

to their credit, macs do have a better screen res. And Adobe runs well on them.

as far as Adobe goes, it's a nice program, works great on a MAc, I wouldn't put it on my PC though, that's like making a fish live in air, and also, I love Corel from my PC, but I wouldn't put my bird in the lake and try Corel on a Mac.  

Raine Dragon

Sparkling Dragon

18,890 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200

Chisa
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:21 pm
Raine Dragon
I have used good Macs at work and good PCs at home, as well as bad Macs and PCs at school. I have to say that I was raised on MS DOS before I started middle school and then went to PC, which i have always liked best. the programs on the PC seem to me to be more user friendly an logical, where as on a mac, they got too.. oh! look lets make it it all cool and use the word "special" in our menu and make verything 10X more illogical in orginization.

to their credit, macs do have a better screen res. And Adobe runs well on them.

as far as Adobe goes, it's a nice program, works great on a MAc, I wouldn't put it on my PC though, that's like making a fish live in air, and also, I love Corel from my PC, but I wouldn't put my bird in the lake and try Corel on a Mac.
Interesting... I've found that Adobe products work well enough on the PC, but I've never tried on a Mac. How is it better? I thought the interface and all would be pretty similar  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:06 pm
My first computer was an ancient Mac. One of the firsts. Then I had a PC and wasn't really happy with it so I went back to Mac and have never returned.
I prefer Macs, especially for working with images...PC's always make images look so..icky. o_O I'll look at something I've made on a PC and it just upsets me. o_=  

Susue

Alien Invader

Better of Two Evils

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:14 pm
As far as im concerned they can do all the exact same stuff. And I dont do any .NET programming or heavy gameing. So I would be fine with either. But I use windows right now because I feel more comfortable using it,there is a bigger ammount of software avalible for windows,and I dont have to buy my computer from Apple. Im given the option to build my own PC.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:11 pm
I personally perfer PC over Mac becuase there just aren't enough mac softwares out there....and i'm so used to ps....and another reason is that i've neva used a Mac before..so i'll stay with a pc!  

Darkshrimp

Kitsunehime

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:15 pm
Darkshrimp
I personally perfer PC over Mac becuase there just aren't enough mac softwares out there....and i'm so used to ps....and another reason is that i've neva used a Mac before..so i'll stay with a pc!

Actually, there have been many more Mac programs available recently. Sonme PC-only programs are also getting re-wrttien for Macs.

I've used Macs before, but I never really liked them. One was ancient, the other was just super-slow with an unresponsive mouse.  
The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff