Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply The Anime Art Academy
Anyone know anything about drawing tablets?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you prefer a tablet to a scanner?
  Yes!
  No.
  I dunno.
View Results

Zodiac Serrano

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:19 pm
I'm thinking about getting a drawing tablet, but I thought I'd ask you guys about it first. Do you think it would be better than a scanner? What are the pros/ cons? How the heck does it work?

Any information would be really helpful. ^^

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:37 pm
Reversed the order of your questions so the answers would make more sense. ^_^

1.) A tablet is bascially a pen and piece of paper which connect to your computer, except all high-tech and shiny. Basically, whatever you draw on the "paper" appears on your computer screen. They solve most, if not all, the problems computer mice create for artists.

This Wikipedia article on tablets is pretty decent, if you want to know the specifics.

2.) Pros:
- way easier to use than a mouse
- lessens risk of carpal tunnel or repetitive stress injuries
- pressure-sensitivity allows you to vary line density as you would with a pencil or ink pen
- two words: undo button
- saves a tree
Cons:
- expensive
- not of great use to traditional artists
- requires the artist have an art program (some tablets come with art programs or free trials for them, but, predictably, they expire or they suck)

3.) Um, can we get a "both" option? Scanners and tablets are totally different. O_o;; Scanners are for scanning pictures onto a computer. Tablets are for drawing pictures on a computer. If you only do traditional artwork, a tablet is relatively useless, but if you do digital artwork, both a scanner and tablet are good to have. A scanner to scan sketches with and a tablet to ink and color them with.

I suppose if you could only buy one, a tablet would be better, since you can trace sketches with a tablet. It's not exactly fun since paper isn't nearly as smooth as the tablet's surface, and the tablet pen isn't really meant for it, but...  

S. Shark

Zodiac Serrano

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:25 pm
xD I know it probobly wasn't fair to leave the poll without a "both" option, but I wanted to get a general opinion of which I should get (since I can't get both).

So you can actually trace with it? Does that mess up the quality? (wikipedia says "one can put a piece of paper on them without interfering with their function," but I got from the last part of your post that it's kinda hard.)

And would Paintshop Pro 9 work with it?

By the way, thank you for replying, you're a lot of help. ^^

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:32 pm
Zodiac Sally
xD I know it probobly wasn't fair to leave the poll without a "both" option, but I wanted to get a general opinion of which I should get (since I can't get both).

So you can actually trace with it? Does that mess up the quality? (wikipedia says "one can put a piece of paper on them without interfering with their function," but I got from the last part of your post that it's kinda hard.)

And would Paintshop Pro 9 work with it?

By the way, thank you for replying, you're a lot of help. ^^
Ah, I thought you were equating the two. Don't mind me, I'm easily confused...

If it's a sketch, probably not, but I wouldn't try to color with it. The pen doesn't move easily, so the lines are all kind of crappy. If you do try tracing, be sure to tape down the paper and not zoom in or out while drawing.

Well, Paintshop Pro 7 works with it, so I reckon it would.

=D

S. Shark

Tiga Claw

150 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:09 pm
They're very straight forward. There's an instruction manual comes with them, but I don't think anyone would need that even - it's just like drawing on paper, only you can zoom in and everything. Also, There are some really good older Photoshop versions in ebay at the moment - Photoshop 6 is selling for $25 AUD, which is WAY less than what I paid for it, so software shouldn't be a problem. Also, The tablets themselves aren't all that expensive, not when compared with the things that they let you do - the quality of work that is not achievable with a mouse. Besides, if you go for a middle sized one there shouldn't be an issue with finances vs usability.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:32 pm
Yay! Thank you both, I feel a lot more informed than when I first wanted to get one. Now hopefully I'll score one for Christmas... xP  

Zodiac Serrano

Tsuyumi Riko

3,600 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:52 am
I'd prefer it if you had a 'both' option even if you can't afford to get both. x.x

I use both scanner and tablet to do my artwork. I sketch a lot so I use the scanner to transfer my sketches to the computer. The tablet's used mainly for inking and colouring. Or if I'm free enough, I'd actually sketch with the tablet. I don't or rather, I can't remember how to use the mouse to colour anymore.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:11 am
I think it varies person to person, depending how quickly or comfortable you feel sketching with the pen and tablet because of the hand eye coordination that you have to get used to. If you're colouring on PC however, as everyone mentioned, a pen/tablet is a must have ^^.

If you're talking about tablets being expensive, I would guess you are thinking of the ones By Wacom. Very popular with artists, but can also be expensive ^^.  

rhyswinterz

The Anime Art Academy

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff