Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Back to Guilds

Dedicated to bringing Chinese and friends from all over the world together. 

Tags: China, Chinese, friendship, Culture 

Reply *~ International Chinese Unite ~*
Falun Gong -- The Falun Dafa Discussion Thread.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

tamcharles

Profitable Businessman

9,325 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Overstocked 200
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:22 am
Okay, well I'm not starting this to be a sh1t disturber (as I normally would) but rather to ask a question about Falun Gong. Who knows, perhaps a Falun Gong practitioner is among us... lurking.

I know that Falun Gong has voiced on numerous occaisions that it is against the Communist regime in China. But why doesn't it include other Communist nations as well? For instance, North Korea and Cuba... they're not mentioned at all.

Also, albeit a vast majority of practitioners are Chinese, not all of them are. It seems very weird to me that they're focusing only on China when there are Communist parties (although not in power) in many other countries. For instance, did you know there exists a Communist party in the US and Canada? Well there is. razz I'm sure the argument could be made that you should attack the strongest point, but wouldn't it be easier to work on smaller things first? Unless of course it's not about relgion but rather politics. Hmmmm.... just a thought.

Anyways, let's not try to flame anyone (that's not the point of this thread) but let's share our opinions and interpretations of the Falun Dafa and it's principles. Let's discuss! 3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:33 am
I'd like to flame the guy that started this, and also slap all the people who are following him blindly... stare  

cold_blooded_chick

tamcharles

Profitable Businessman

9,325 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Overstocked 200
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:11 am
cold_blooded_chick
I'd like to flame the guy that started this, and also slap all the people who are following him blindly... stare
As in all things why? Why do you feel that way?

*BTW: I agree. razz  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:04 am
Unfortunately, I don't follow politics. sweatdrop

...And I'm taking courses on modern China!! blaugh *sighs*

wiim
Crew

Invisible Shapeshifter

7,400 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Cart Raider 100

Niphredil Ithilmir

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:19 pm
I don't think they have anything against communism in general.. it's just that the Chinese gov't thinks they are no good for society, so they banned it.. and now the whole of the West has caught wind of the fact that there's something they can go stir their people up against China with and are blowing it out of proportion (as usual).

Oh yes, btw - tamcharles - just because there's a communist party in the US or Canada (there's even one in the UK... my friend got me one of their badges for a joke) doesn't make the country a target for anti-communists as they're not in power (and probably never will be).

The FLG activists are using this as an opportunity to play the "victim of the Chinese gov't" who are so obviously evil and corrupt and oppressive that people living in China can't tell. rolleyes  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:11 pm
Niphredil Ithilmir
I don't think they have anything against communism in general.. it's just that the Chinese gov't thinks they are no good for society, so they banned it.. and now the whole of the West has caught wind of the fact that there's something they can go stir their people up against China with and are blowing it out of proportion (as usual).

Oh yes, btw - tamcharles - just because there's a communist party in the US or Canada (there's even one in the UK... my friend got me one of their badges for a joke) doesn't make the country a target for anti-communists as they're not in power (and probably never will be).

The FLG activists are using this as an opportunity to play the "victim of the Chinese gov't" who are so obviously evil and corrupt and oppressive that people living in China can't tell. rolleyes

But which one is the lesser evil?  

tamcharles

Profitable Businessman

9,325 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Overstocked 200

Niphredil Ithilmir

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:19 pm
tamcharles
Niphredil Ithilmir

But which one is the lesser evil?

What do you mean by the lesser evil? What were the two choices? Allowing FLG in China and being condemned by the rest of the world for being 'anti-religion'? I don't know, but I think the gov't was right at the time to ban it as they could not have forseen the consequences.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:50 pm
I was living in China during the period when this thing went really big~ Obviously the news showed all the bad stuff, but I think they were true.

The people who practised it went a bit obssessed, they refused to take medicine when they were sick, and trusted blindly in "the leader", but not only that, they tried to "convert" their relatives by hacking them to pieces with the kitchen knife, one guy killed his parents and his wife and kid, it wa sos sad, they showed the blood on the kitchen floor...

And there was the thing where people went to Tian An Meng Square and burnt themselves, you could see them running around on fire!!! Apparently it was a show of power for the whole thing, and afterwards they blamed the Chinese Government for that, saying they set it up, and the FLG people didn't do it themselves: a kid about 8 or something was burnt so badly she couldn't breathe!!!

So now you see why I'd like to slap those people. I'm sure its basic rules about meditating is not harmful, and even relaxing, but when the guy uses these powers to manipulate people like this, it's crossing the line~  

cold_blooded_chick

Cat-Whiskers

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:34 pm
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:16 am
Hmm, I'm not too sure about this Falun gong thing. I haven't been paying much attention to Chinese politics since Hong Kong's transferral in 1997.  

Minielf

Cat-Whiskers

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:47 pm
rant up! go read! it's entertaining!!! 3nodding 3nodding 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:00 pm
Cat-Whiskers

It is very, very entertaining. Congrats. I would never be bothered to go look it all up.. (thank the Gods this isn't ED, I'd get flamed for saying that)  

Niphredil Ithilmir

tamcharles

Profitable Businessman

9,325 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Overstocked 200
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:57 pm
Niphredil Ithilmir
Cat-Whiskers

It is very, very entertaining. Congrats. I would never be bothered to go look it all up.. (thank the Gods this isn't ED, I'd get flamed for saying that)
Haha... I miss posting in ED. Perhaps I'll make a short visit back there after I'm done here.

@Cat-Whiskers: My word! Great job on the research. If I was a nit-picky mood, I'd probably complain about bias but heck, I agree with your sentiment. Why can't Falun Gung Practitioners utilize some rudimentary critical thinking? Ah well, I'll lay off the blanket statements. razz

Anyways again, good job and good read indeed! 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:41 am
Hear Hear!

Researching abou thtese things just piss me off so much, I love it when someone gives you all the info!!!  

cold_blooded_chick

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff