Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Just smile and walk on... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Did I react the right way?
  No
  Yes
  Kind of.
View Results

TifaBea

Angelic Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:33 pm
Ok so, it is the holiday time filled with religion. Right? right.
The story.
So I went to Walmart yesterday to further ruin the economy because I had a gift card from work. On my way in I saw those people ringing the jingly bells for the salvation army. I always feel awful because of people who have it rough so I was like ok, I'll donate on my way out. Sure enough, on my way out I gave the red bucket all of my tip money from cosmetology school.. The guy goes "Oh God bless your soul! You are so kind hearted!" I laughed nervously. It makes me uncomfortable when people say that to me. But I don't want to be like thanks but no thanks, I'm an atheist, you know? So I walked away, with what I hoped to feel content, but only feeling violated. What should you do in this type of situation? Am I just freaking out over nothing?
And yes, I know the salvation army is religious but I just wanted people to get something.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:58 am
I do not think you should feel insulted over a well-wish, no matter which religion you personally have. It is just that - wishing you well. They are not trying to convert you, just thanking you. Don't see it as an insult, but be glad over the spirit behind it.

I get annoyed by people getting huffy and offended both over being wished "Merry Christmas" and/or "Happy Holidays". This kind of behaviour is very much against the spirit of the festival, no matter what festival it is. And it is what is making people uncomfortable over religion instead of embracing cultural diversity, in my opinion.

So all in all, I think you reacted well by not saying a thing, but leaving them to their belief even though you have another. In the end, it is the thought that counts, not the religion, as you proved by giving to them in the first place.

*adds her 2 cents to the pile*

wink  

sophiastella

PickleBoy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:09 pm
I'd just say "And may the Goddess bless you a good year!" smile  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:07 pm
sophiastella
I do not think you should feel insulted over a well-wish, no matter which religion you personally have. It is just that - wishing you well. They are not trying to convert you, just thanking you. Don't see it as an insult, but be glad over the spirit behind it.

I get annoyed by people getting huffy and offended both over being wished "Merry Christmas" and/or "Happy Holidays". This kind of behaviour is very much against the spirit of the festival, no matter what festival it is. And it is what is making people uncomfortable over religion instead of embracing cultural diversity, in my opinion.

So all in all, I think you reacted well by not saying a thing, but leaving them to their belief even though you have another. In the end, it is the thought that counts, not the religion, as you proved by giving to them in the first place.

wink

You are right. I don't mind seeing nativity scenes or getting a merry christmas, Usually to be polite I say happy holidays. smile  

TifaBea

Angelic Hunter

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:15 pm
||_______________________

Yeah, even if you don't believe that a God is going to bless you, the other person still means it nicely. It's better to be polite I think. There's no real need to make a point of something unless the other person has motives behind it, like conversion or implying something bad about people who don't believe. Then you might want to let em know you disagree.

I agree with sophiastella about too much political correctness at the holidays. Okay, so teaching the bible christmas story might not be good in a public school but letting people show some signs of being christian at the holidays really isn't that evil. It's hard to force inclusion of everyone and make everything 'equal' yet allow everyone to do whatever they want while making sure no one feels 'left out' or offended o.x It's a very blurry line to follow, and the ACLU loves it xD
_______________________||

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:06 pm
Meh. Don't get worked up about the man blessing you in the name of god. It makes him feel good, and he's just expressing his graditude. Apparently my grandad prays for forgivness of my soul daily before he sleeps, but I don't ask him to stop. It makes him feel better about me being an athiest like that.  

Muaethia

E_Night

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:07 pm
Its nice i think when people say that because they mean thank you. I really don;t see the need for them to say god bless you, but its what they do. So just smile. No need to have a heated convo with a homeless gent.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:39 pm
TifaBea
Ok so, it is the holiday time filled with religion. Right? right.
The story.
So I went to Walmart yesterday to further ruin the economy because I had a gift card from work. On my way in I saw those people ringing the jingly bells for the salvation army. I always feel awful because of people who have it rough so I was like ok, I'll donate on my way out. Sure enough, on my way out I gave the red bucket all of my tip money from cosmetology school.. The guy goes "Oh God bless your soul! You are so kind hearted!" I laughed nervously. It makes me uncomfortable when people say that to me. But I don't want to be like thanks but no thanks, I'm an atheist, you know? So I walked away, with what I hoped to feel content, but only feeling violated. What should you do in this type of situation? Am I just freaking out over nothing?
And yes, I know the salvation army is religious but I just wanted people to get something.

Yes I am the first no on the poll. It matters not whether they were saying god bless you or Allah bless you. It should be a compliment if nothing else. They are saying that they believe you deserve a blessing of their faith. My freind is Hindu, I think it's awsome when he says 'May Bhrama watch over you'. It means he cares about me enough as a person to sudo-invite me to his religion. Don't feel awkward, feel special, and heart-warmed that someone would do this.  

The Candy Store Massacre

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:38 am
Well...you have to look at it this way.

They don't mean anything insulting by it. You were nice by donating money, and saying "Oh God Bless your soul!" is sort of a way to thank you.

One has to realize the difference in words...one can be an attack, and another not. Just like when I was at Wal-mart and that old lady I helped said "Merry Christmas."

I automatically said "Happy holidays to you too." It was just automatic...and I didn't mean anything by it. However a overzealous Christian attacked me for saying Happy Holidays because she considered it an insult.

That old lady came back and got in her face for being a bad example of a Christian...and she had no problem with me saying "Happy Holidays".

The last thing you want to do is be like that overzealot Christian who was stalking people in Wal-Mart and giving them a earful. Even if what a person says makes you feel a little out of place, just know that they don't really mean anything by it.

I know the feeling though of awkardness. Anytime my step-dad's side of the family and my family have a dinner together they always have prayer. It feels awkward and out of place for me. I just keep my eyes open and wait for it to end.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:20 pm
Hmm, reminds me of this guy when we were carol singing yesterday. We went to this house, no one answered and then this guy pulled in the drive and got out of the car. We asked if he wanted us to sing but he then just stated preaching that Jesus was the only way we could be saved that that we should love him eternally etc. and then we asked if he'd donate to the charity we were raising for and he said "no, I'm just off to Sainsburys" and we were just standing there like: What the hell? You preach to us about loving Jesus and you don't even donate to charity. We're standing there in the bloody cold (-2 degrees c) listening to him and he doesn't even donate!

Aaanyway, back on topic, I think you should just smile and walk on. The guy meant well and he pretty much meant that you're a good person and should be loved for you goodness (to a degree). You just have to take their words out of the religious context really.  

Emmanuela

The Seven Deadly Sinz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:31 pm
I've actually volunteered for Salvation army, I say 'Merry Christmas and God bless you' just to make people feel better, even if it's not my personal belief. Trust me, it wasn't an assualt on your religion  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:35 pm
What, now do we have to correct people every time they say "bless you" when we sneeze? You acted alright.  

bostaffskills

~Screwed_Up_Emo~

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:57 pm
Emmanuela
Hmm, reminds me of this guy when we were carol singing yesterday. We went to this house, no one answered and then this guy pulled in the drive and got out of the car. We asked if he wanted us to sing but he then just stated preaching that Jesus was the only way we could be saved that that we should love him eternally etc. and then we asked if he'd donate to the charity we were raising for and he said "no, I'm just off to Sainsburys" and we were just standing there like: What the hell? You preach to us about loving Jesus and you don't even donate to charity. We're standing there in the bloody cold (-2 degrees c) listening to him and he doesn't even donate!

Aaanyway, back on topic, I think you should just smile and walk on. The guy meant well and he pretty much meant that you're a good person and should be loved for you goodness (to a degree). You just have to take their words out of the religious context really.

Hah -2 is nothing I have to deal with -30 just to walk to school every morning.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:54 pm
sophiastella

wink
Back to the ages of power, it's time for us to learn
One day it's far too late, too late for a return

Exactly.

Why can't everyone think they way you do?

Arise from the cower, from the day on we have learned
It's high time to break the spell that's chaining up the world

+Gloria Domini+

russiangal367

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:33 pm
YOu shouldnt' feel uncomfortable, this person wants to bless you in the name of their own God, that's an honor when someone chooses to send out their blessings from their god to you, wether we believe in it or not. Just say Happy Holidays.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff