Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Christianity the ONLY religion that many are against? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Minozake

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:45 pm
You know, something has been bugging me recently. Why is it people don't try to disprove other gods and goddesses? Why is it usually the Christian(/Abrahamic, IIRC) god that always attempts to get disproven? Why is it not something like Islam or Wicca?

I realize that many Christians try to shove their beliefs down, and many atheists may take out their anger unwillingly on them as a whole. But, I really haven't seen much discussion on other religions as much as Christianity in general.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:50 pm
I think it's because most of us have had more issues with Christianity than anything else that it's caught so much heat.

There are obvious flaws on other religions. Islam, Hinduism, Wicca and Neo-Paganism, though there isn't much of a reason to lash out at any of them for many of us. Not that I encourage an aggressive attitude toward any religion as a whole, mind you.  

Tenth Speed Writer

cup_noodles

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:03 am
Minozake
You know, something has been bugging me recently. Why is it people don't try to disprove other gods and goddesses? Why is it usually the Christian(/Abrahamic, IIRC) god that always attempts to get disproven? Why is it not something like Islam or Wicca?

I realize that many Christians try to shove their beliefs down, and many atheists may take out their anger unwillingly on them as a whole. But, I really haven't seen much discussion on other religions as much as Christianity in general.

I think it's because Abrahamic religions are so widespread and effect athiest more so they tend to lash out at them more. And Islam is pretty much Christanity just in different context. Same with all Abrahamic religions.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:57 am
It is probably because Christianity is the most vocal among the various religions. Plus...they base a lot of stuff they preach off of a book.

When you base your religion on a book, you open yourself up to having your religion picked apart, and analyzed.

In no way do I incourage taking an aggressive attitude towards any faith, or religious group...however it is easier to poke holes in a religion when it has a book.

It is only recent that Christianity is becoming the center of redicule and even being attacked. The way I look at...I don't feel sorry for the group as a whole.

I believe that you will get as good as you give. You have an entire religion that for centuries has terrorized, corrupted, and defiled the human race. They are getting thier comeuppance for the mistakes they made in the past.

To me it simply is life's way of teaching them that they cannot, and will not do or make the same mistakes they did back then.

Christianity gets the most heat...then again look at thier history. It only makes sense. Right now people who are Christian are paying the price for the vocal behavior of some, and for what thier ancestors did in the past. I'm not saying it's right...but look at Spira from FFX.

They suffered because of the actions of thier ancestors. If they have cast off the false teachings that Yuna eventually destroyed...they would not have suffered so much. It's Fiction...but it has a good message I think. It is relevent at least.

Sanguvixen

Minozake

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:15 am
Sanguvixen
It is probably because Christianity is the most vocal among the various religions. Plus...they base a lot of stuff they preach off of a book.

When you base your religion on a book, you open yourself up to having your religion picked apart, and analyzed.

In no way do I incourage taking an aggressive attitude towards any faith, or religious group...however it is easier to poke holes in a religion when it has a book.

It is only recent that Christianity is becoming the center of redicule and even being attacked. The way I look at...I don't feel sorry for the group as a whole.

I believe that you will get as good as you give. You have an entire religion that for centuries has terrorized, corrupted, and defiled the human race. They are getting thier comeuppance for the mistakes they made in the past.

To me it simply is life's way of teaching them that they cannot, and will not do or make the same mistakes they did back then.

Christianity gets the most heat...then again look at thier history. It only makes sense. Right now people who are Christian are paying the price for the vocal behavior of some, and for what thier ancestors did in the past. I'm not saying it's right...but look at Spira from FFX.

They suffered because of the actions of thier ancestors. If they have cast off the false teachings that Yuna eventually destroyed...they would not have suffered so much. It's Fiction...but it has a good message I think. It is relevent at least.

That's true. But, I haven't known it as much recent. I have seen it time and time again. I don't encourage an aggressive attitude, either (sometimes I let it get too aggressive, though), but I never have seen any arguments against other religions. I was wondering if it was because it was always harder to actually disprove or if it was just the Christian religion that is the most vocal and oppressive because of a few people.

Don't get me wrong; it is a good religion for those who can stand those beliefs, but it isn't for everyone.

It is true that basing a religion off of a book can have very bad consequences. It's almost like writing a dictionary with only using every word once and only once.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:55 pm
Christianity is only one religion 'of the book,' Islam and Judaism are also religions of the book. (Not the same book, but anyways >.>) But that does make followers more staunch at times when they try to use it as proof. So it gives a whole other level.

But the reason why it's most talked about here on gaia and in this guild is where most of us live- US or other western nations. The vast majority of religious people we come in contact with are Christian. If we had a religion in the past or if our families are religious, chances are that religion is christianity.
For a lot of religious people, the only reason they are of that particular faith is that they are raised into that religion. Your surroundings have a huge effect.

In one way or another, you're going to focus on what's around you. On one hand you might know more about it, but at any rate, it's just more relevant for you.

Sanguvixen

It's like Islam, it's not everyone involved although the whole of the religion is often blamed. Different things are acceptable to different people and at different times. There are a lot of people who are christian and good people. "Terrorized, corrupted, and defiled the human race." Really? Those things people do that are corrupting and defiling are more than likely very human and not at all 'christian.' Religion can be a coverup and can be abused. I've said it a million times, but it's also the people involved. There are often other factors at play.

"They are getting thier comeuppance for the mistakes they made in the past. "
=
People today should pay for other people's mistakes in the past.

You have such a strong idea of 'comeuppance' for the past, but you only apply it to Christians as a group? It doesn't apply to other groups? Should racist policies against whites be acceptable as comeuppance for slavery? If religious ties work, what about national ones? Do the germans get their comeuppance? Americans for treatment of Native Americans? I dunno. That could be a whole other topic. :0

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200

PickleBoy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:54 pm
Because, as many people have pointed out, Christianity is the most vocal. And their not the only religion that gets heat. Islam gets lots of heat, especially here in the US. THe sad thing is, is its basically the same religion as Christianity, they just use a different book. And, like many people have pointed out, Christianity doesn't have the greatest running track. Hundreds of years of oppression of other races/religions/etc, tons of hypocrisies, etc. (I dun wanna think right now, cabin fever making me nutters)

And not only that but... I don't hear about Wiccans bombing abortion centers or Buddists rallying at funerals. And its not necessarily their beliefs we're against (I tell many a christian that I think its cool they believe in a god), its their institutions. The way they present themselves to other people that gets them fired at.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:20 pm
c a u s t i c
Christianity is only one religion 'of the book,' Islam and Judaism are also religions of the book. (Not the same book, but anyways >.>) But that does make followers more staunch at times when they try to use it as proof. So it gives a whole other level.

But the reason why it's most talked about here on gaia and in this guild is where most of us live- US or other western nations. The vast majority of religious people we come in contact with are Christian. If we had a religion in the past or if our families are religious, chances are that religion is christianity.
For a lot of religious people, the only reason they are of that particular faith is that they are raised into that religion. Your surroundings have a huge effect.

In one way or another, you're going to focus on what's around you. On one hand you might know more about it, but at any rate, it's just more relevant for you.

Sanguvixen

It's like Islam, it's not everyone involved although the whole of the religion is often blamed. Different things are acceptable to different people and at different times. There are a lot of people who are christian and good people. "Terrorized, corrupted, and defiled the human race." Really? Those things people do that are corrupting and defiling are more than likely very human and not at all 'christian.' Religion can be a coverup and can be abused. I've said it a million times, but it's also the people involved. There are often other factors at play.

"They are getting thier comeuppance for the mistakes they made in the past. "
=
People today should pay for other people's mistakes in the past.

You have such a strong idea of 'comeuppance' for the past, but you only apply it to Christians as a group? It doesn't apply to other groups? Should racist policies against whites be acceptable as comeuppance for slavery? If religious ties work, what about national ones? Do the germans get their comeuppance? Americans for treatment of Native Americans? I dunno. That could be a whole other topic. :0

I'm not saying it only applies to Christians. There is at least a few other religious groups out there that will get thier comeuppance. What is the point of bringing them up? Wouldn't it be a little off-topic? There are non-religious groups out there that do horrible things that too will get what they deserve. Like PETA for example.

What I am really alluding to is that many christians complain and complain(not all of them but there are a fair few) about how they are discriminated against, how thier faith is being attacked, and stuff like that.

To me...it is like..."You people have nothing to complain about!" Look at what the people have done in the past. Look at what Christians have done to oppress others. They should feel lucky that the people who they consider to be "Oppressing them" will never be able to go to the extreme that they(Christianity) have gone to in the past.

I don't really buy into...."It is the people who make religion bad". Sure there will be other factors...but...it takes religion or some other means of brainwashing to make good people do bad things.

All I am saying is that these people going around, throwing these hissy fits as more and more people take pot-shots at thier faith...they are getting what has been due a long time.

It may not be a popular, or nice way to look at it. That is my view. At least people are just taking pot shots. It isn't as though they are being tortured, maimed, beaten, raped, starved, or inprisoned by those they "think are oppressing them."

A lot of people tell me that Christiany isn't all that bad. It is the followers. I think what makes those followers go to the extreme of doing bad things...is the faith, it is religion it itself.

The people make religion bad. Religion makes people go bad. That isn't the only thing that makes people go bad...there are other things.

If a human being treats another human being like a dog for an extended period of time, they better be prepared when that person bites back.

Christianity, the people who follow it, they have treated people wrongly for a long time. Well...the people are biting back, don't you agree?

I just hope people keep it mild. You can't really hate or mistreat people for what thier ancestors have done. Those alive now can't help what horrible things thier ancestors did. In a way though...they need to learn from it. How can they though...if many people are hell-bent on covering up the blood stains?

EDIT: I will admit that maybe my words above are harsh to the point of being unnecessary. There have been other religious or even non-religious groups who in different time periods have oppressed people in very vicious and horrible ways. Out of all of them, it would seem to me that Christianity is the one who has the longest history of doing such things. I may be wrong. That may be why they are such a big target.

Sanguvixen

AnonymouZ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:23 pm
christians are more widely known throught the world. when i was a kid in mexico, i always thought that the only religion that existed was the catholic one... and budhism was just... kinda like a myth...

anywho... i can bet most of latin america is like that right now. (my country is mexico). so many just pick the biggest face in town... which just happens to be christianity.

and ... well, we got enough bitching at other religions from the very same christians who (most) proclaim to be the new, all lovingly- and tolerant religion of them all.

i also guess that, if you take down the biggest of them, it would be like a domino effect that could occur. (nevermind the fact that i don't think religion will ever be gotten rid of, since now people will have faith in whatever the ******** they want, no matter what the evidence says)  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:17 pm
Tenth Speed Writer
I think it's because most of us have had more issues with Christianity than anything else that it's caught so much heat.

There are obvious flaws on other religions. Islam, Hinduism, Wicca and Neo-Paganism, though there isn't much of a reason to lash out at any of them for many of us. Not that I encourage an aggressive attitude toward any religion as a whole, mind you.

Well put, but I'm not against religion, I'm all for them believing what they want, but as soon as they try to shove their religion down my throat, I'll respond.  

Death God Hitsugaya

Emmanuela

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:32 am
Hmm... Well the Islamic, Jewish and Christian Gods are effectivly the same one. And so, technically, is the Hindu God (because Shiva & co. are ways of showing all the different elements of the one God). People generally refer to Christianity because:
a) You don't get Jews banging on the door to convert
b) ditto for Hindus/Buddhists etc.
c) There probably isn't a large Islamic/Sihk/Hindu etc. community where most of us live
and
d) America/England and most of Europe, where most people on this site live, are primarily Christian countries.

We're more affected by Christians then by most other faiths so they are generally the first to mind.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:01 am
Emmanuela
Hmm... Well the Islamic, Jewish and Christian Gods are effectivly the same one. And so, technically, is the Hindu God (because Shiva & co. are ways of showing all the different elements of the one God). People generally refer to Christianity because:
a) You don't get Jews banging on the door to convert
b) ditto for Hindus/Buddhists etc.
c) There probably isn't a large Islamic/Sihk/Hindu etc. community where most of us live
and
d) America/England and most of Europe, where most people on this site live, are primarily Christian countries.

We're more affected by Christians then by most other faiths so they are generally the first to mind.

There are many large "Islamic/Sihk/Hindu etc" communities around where I live. There are more than christians in some areas (e.g. Bradford). However, it is the christians who seem to have major issues with the minority communities, proclaiming that a lot of them are "terrorists" and should "get out" of the country. The nationalist and far-right extremists in britain are mostly christian based and are intolerant of everyone but themselves. However, the minority communities rarely do anything in retort. They keep themselves to themselves and concentrate on preserving religion within religious families rather than converting everyone else. Christianity has a lot more to answer for, that's why we stand up to them the most.  

Muaethia

Razornova

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:14 pm
I'm not going to sit here and pretend to have no contempt for the Christian church.

I live in southeast Missouri (Bible Belt) and have been one of the VERY FEW atheists lucky enough not to get beat up or completely socially isolated. By people who think that their religion makes them better than everyone else.

I want to put them in their place.

Sure, other I consider other religions false, but most of their people aren't assholes.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:14 am
It's not just Christianity...It's just because most of the people who try to start religious arguments with me are Christian.

If they were part of a different religion, I may do the same to that one.

Orson Welles

+Gloria Domini+

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:51 pm
Back to the ages of power, it's time for us to learn
One day it's far too late, too late for a return

As many have said, it's because we're notorious for our aggresive evangelism.

I personally detest those that try to force their beliefs upon others.

Arise from the cower, from the day on we have learned
It's high time to break the spell that's chaining up the world

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas