Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
The stupidity of people who say "Happy Holidays"

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What do you think of his argument?
  Completely disagree
  Disagree
  Disagree a bit
  Neutral
  Agree a bit
  Agree
  Completely agree
  Don't care
  Poll whore option
View Results

Death God Hitsugaya

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:21 pm
Read what this person said about people that say "Happy Holidays". I, myself completely disagree with him, as I was one of the main debaters, but read and see what you think.

CLICK HERE!  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:39 am
People like that mystify me.

Maybe they think only thier religion deserves to be respected. Maybe they really just don't think out thier idea too well. Or maybe they think the world revolve around thier religion.

By saying Happy Holidays you are respecting people of all faiths. You are also respecting people who may not be religious.

By saying Merry Christmas, you will make one group happy since "Christmas" is the term for thier take on the holiday. At the same time you'll have others who may be Buddist, Atheist, or some other group that doesn't celebrate that take on the holiday, and at the most it makes them feel unawkward.

I really don't understand how people, in thier minds, can twist the whole thing into thinking "By trying to respect all religions, they are disrespecting mine!"

Then again....there are quite a few theists out there that are ignorant to the fact that Christmas is a stolen holiday. There are also a quite a few who still don't understand that this so called "Jesus" wasn't born in winter(should he have existed.)

I mean...there are actually a lot of theists that don't realize it was not people of different faiths that took offense to people saying "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays." If was a group of Evangelists who first made the fuss because they considered the phrase "Happy Holidays" to be disrespectful to thier religion.

Which actually sort of makes sense. I mean, the reason why the church originally decided to place this particular holiday on December 25th was because it overlapped the holidays of other religous groups. They must have hoped that by incorperating part of the previous holiday into thier new holiday, it would help convert people.

Now....retailers are undoing that in a way. By saying Happy Holidays they are not being in sync with the original purpose of Christmas. They are doing quite the opposite.

There is no point in arguing with a person who is not well versed in the religion they claim to be a part of. I think that person in that thread needs to do some research into thier own religion, and the holiday.

Sanguvixen

cup_noodles

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:47 am
Well then,

HAPPY FRICKING HOLIDAYS!

biggrin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:03 am
The only thing that annoys me about "Happy holidays!" is the slightly sickening alliteration (I'm not a big fan). But this guy/girl is ranting. Most people on gaia are christian? I doubt it, from what I've seen there are a fair few who I would say were nonreligious or agnostic, more than those who I have seen are christian. They overuse the word "********" and appear to be ranting about immigrants when they don't know the facts about numbers or anything. They also spell "peaceful" wrong, and imply that the people who say "Happy holidays" are only doing it to cause religious unrest.

Bullshit.

Freedom of speech hun. We'll say what the ******** we want and you're powerless to stop it. Now go and cry in your little emo corner if you have a problem, 'cos complaining on gaia is not going to change what people say mrgreen

Muaethia

The MoUsY spell-checker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:23 pm
What about using "Happy Holidays" because you don't get to see someone on the day of the actual holiday? I think it's better than saying "Merry Christmas" before / after Christmas.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:24 pm
I hate stupid people... That was one of the worst rants I've read. Seriously? Where do they get the gall to say that kinda stuff? And they certainly are full of themselves. *shakes head*  

PickleBoy

~Screwed_Up_Emo~

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:40 pm
That arguemnt is in fact so retarded I'm not even going to make a comment on it.

Minus the comment I just wrote above that is.... sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:46 pm
Screwed up Emo!!!!! biggrin *Hugs*  

Death God Hitsugaya

+Gloria Domini+

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:36 pm
Back to the ages of power, it's time for us to learn
One day it's far too late, too late for a return

I personally find it ridiculous that people can complain almost incessantly about such things. I think that, if everyone strove to be as open-minded as they often claim to be, then shouldn't they be above taking offense to something so silly? I personally take no offense to "Happy Holidays," or "Happy Hannukah," or any other winter holiday well-wishing.

I think that everyone, regardless of religion (or lack thereof,) should be able to respect others' views enough to allow them to wish everyone a "Merry Christmas," or a "Happy Holidays," without taking offense, or correcting them. If anything, you should be pleased that they are wishing you a great holiday season.

Arise from the cower, from the day on we have learned
It's high time to break the spell that's chaining up the world

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:47 am
♠ I honestly don't give a damn about what anybody would say to me during the holiday season. Hell, it's supposed to be the hap happiest season of all, but now we're at ******** war over two words. (btw- that wasn't a typo) ♠  

Zwiebelsaft!

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff