Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Café (General Chat)
The Cultic works Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Stemcell

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:35 am
Alright people, i would like to know each of your own personal defonitions of a ( cult)  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:28 pm
You mean a cult, or the occult?  

eiei...OMGWTFBBQ

Nuadu

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 6:39 am
OK, an old thread, but what the heck.

I define 'cult' in two ways, depending on context.

First, I may use the FBI's and other law enforcement agencies' definition, which suggests a smallish, frequently religious ,organization that is devoted to a single, charismatic leader that tends towards brain washing its members into psychological enslavement for illicit purposes.

However, as I also teach religious studies, I will also use the definition common to that discipline, which suggests a smallish religious organization that focuses upon a single charismatic leader and is frequently the beginning phase of what will eventually become a "full-blown" religion.

While there are similarities between the two the first example always has pejorative connotations while the second does not. For example, under the second definition, and when we look back on it with modern eyes, Christianity in the 1st and 2nd centuries CE would have been a cult. However from the view of the Roman authority in Palestine during that time Christianity would have been considered a cult from the perspective of the first definition.  
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:45 pm
Cult comes from the latin cultus which means to worship.  

Animeharpy

Nuadu

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 7:31 am
Well, cult comes the Latin cultus which means "care, cultivation, worship," originally "tended, cultivated", the root of of modern words "culture" and "cultivate".

The agricultural connotations are interesting and important I think, connecting the idea of the cultus to that of care and growth as well as its more usual (today anyway) connotations.

However, I'm not sure anyone uses the term that way any more and the the 19th century understanding, "devotion to a person or thing", is closer to modern usage.  
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:46 pm
I am a traditionalist i use words as they were intended , not as society has redfined them to suit their needs. Society needs to create new words for what they mean or find the proper word for what they are trying to describe.

Do not forget the history of why and who changed the meaning of the word. Who gave cult a negative connontation and why. I am certain you will see that it is quite obvious.

Also do not overlook the gemetria of the word. You will find the etymology of a word correspond with the gemetria of a word much better than the modern definition.  

Animeharpy

Nuadu

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:33 am
If this were true then you would have defined cultus as meaning "tended, cultivated", the past participle of colere, meaning to till. The connotation of worship is a later addition to the word.

Of course, you'd also have meant "companion" when you wrote society as the now common sense of the term didn't come into existence until the 17th century and by "traditionalist" you would presumably have meant someone who handed things over or surrendered to another person. The problem with tradition, as Frank Herbert rightly points out, is that there is always an older one.

As for who gave the term a negative connotation, I presume you mean this to be a reference to Christianity, and yet we find that the term is used quite positively, for instance, as a Catholic liturgical term.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:58 pm
no i meant exactly what i said and used each term intentionally.  

Animeharpy

Nuadu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:09 am
You don't see the discrepancy then?  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:47 pm
again i meant what i said, i chose each word INTENTIONALLY.  

Animeharpy

Isewolf

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:51 pm
I cant even keep up with ur conversation. So many big words and stuff.

But I myself dont have a definition of cult, I just dont do it.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:08 am
Thats not what I asked, but it does answer the question.

Isewolf, if you don't have a definition, how do you know you're not doing it? wink  

Nuadu

lord of the 4 realms

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:33 pm
well to me a cult is a group, a club, or religion based on a religious belief

like i wud make a necro christian cult, christions seeking understanding through the darkarts  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:11 am
Nuadu
If this were true then you would have defined cultus as meaning "tended, cultivated", the past participle of colere, meaning to till. The connotation of worship is a later addition to the word.

Of course, you'd also have meant "companion" when you wrote society as the now common sense of the term didn't come into existence until the 17th century and by "traditionalist" you would presumably have meant someone who handed things over or surrendered to another person. The problem with tradition, as Frank Herbert rightly points out, is that there is always an older one.

As for who gave the term a negative connotation, I presume you mean this to be a reference to Christianity, and yet we find that the term is used quite positively, for instance, as a Catholic liturgical term.

LOL!! Too bad she didn't get what you're trying to point out.  

abarrach

7,950 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Sausage Fest 200

Nuadu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:52 am
Someone did though smile  
The Café (General Chat)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff