4- They're really good
  3- Good job
  2- Below average, subpar
  1- They kinda suck
  0- Horrible, they do suck
View Results

Rashoumon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:04 pm
This picture's over a month old, but I haven't been on Gaia so I'm posting it now. The lineart was a collaberation with my friend but the CG portion was done by me. It's my 2nd time ever CGing a picture, so please comment and critique! Thanks.

Lines: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/43505411/

CG: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/43830880/  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:24 am
I really like the lineart; the characters' expression are both very well done, especially the girl's. The guy looks a bit stiff but if's it's intentional, don't mind me. Overall, very good.
The coloring is also good, but I think that the picture need a bit more shading.  

tremle

p o m c h i

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:26 am
I'm not gonna comment the pic because you didn't draw it but I'll tell you something about the coloring.^_^ You have done a very good job at coloring the picture and you could see where the light source is and I really like the hair heart but why is there no background? Do you have a tablet? I suspect you do because the hair is very detailed and if you don't then your just a genious at coloring hair.0_0 So if you have tablet then a background shouldn't be that difficult, if you don't know how to then just search for some background tutorials on deviantart(they have really good ones^_^) So just work on the background but everything else is really good!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:35 pm
Hmm.
About your colouring: The
shading looks terribly flat.
Don't just use darker shades or
highlights of the base colour.
Add variety. For example, base colouring
is red. You can incorporate green, grey,
purple, navy blue for shadows and
orange for highlights if you desire.

Sir Irene.

invisibIe boii

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:51 am
your lineart is wonderfull, whereas the coloring seems to lack some tones and depth, you need more highlights and contrast.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:06 pm
Wow, this thread's still alive? Thought it was left for dead... Btw, please read the descriptions in the links. They'll answer some of your questions.

And thanks for commenting!

rika_arena
I'm not gonna comment the pic because you didn't draw it but I'll tell you something about the coloring.^_^ You have done a very good job at coloring the picture and you could see where the light source is and I really like the hair heart but why is there no background? Do you have a tablet? I suspect you do because the hair is very detailed and if you don't then your just a genious at coloring hair.0_0 So if you have tablet then a background shouldn't be that difficult, if you don't know how to then just search for some background tutorials on deviantart(they have really good ones^_^) So just work on the background but everything else is really good!

Well, actually I did draw the picture. It was a collab between me and a friend. And there's no background since I didn't draw one in the lineart. And I do not have a tablet. I want one, but I don't have one. Everything was done via touchpad on my laptop. Wait, actually I do have a tablet, but I didn't use it and it's only 2x3 with no pressure sensitivity, more for writing asian characters than for drawing... so it's no Intuos3, which is the tablet I want.

Sir Irene.
Hmm.
About your colouring: The
shading looks terribly flat.
Don't just use darker shades or
highlights of the base colour.
Add variety. For example, base colouring
is red. You can incorporate green, grey,
purple, navy blue for shadows and
orange for highlights if you desire.

~ getsumei ~
your lineart is wonderfull, whereas the coloring seems to lack some tones and depth, you need more highlights and contrast.

Yea, sorry about the flat coloring... it's only my second time, and I only used three shades to color: a lighter one for highlights, the base color, and a darker shade for shading. I should add variety, huh. I'll try it next time.

My friend'll probably do a better job at coloring. She's fatpanda4545 on deviantart if you're interested, although she hasn't been updating.  

Rashoumon

Shikyo Kumori

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:59 pm
I think your fingers on the guy are just a lil bit to long and also the girls legs at the bottom randomly curve to the other side. Ahh and i hate the tall socks no offense its just ... gay yes srry about that just commenting anywayz its an awesome drawing with all the wrinkles and your definately good at hands so out of a 10 id give it a 7.8 ................... yes gj blaugh  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:34 am
the girl is the best (of the two figures)....  

#1_public_enemy

Yuki_Yue

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:17 pm
The coloring does seem a little flat and it looks almost as though you used the burn and dodge tools (though I'm sure you didn't) to shade it.

some of the details in the line art could be better expressed as shading (like muscle tone on him) the showing through of those lines are distracting and make it more obvious that it's a drawing.

But that's all I can say right now, keep up the good work.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:24 pm
The lineart is very good, I like the detail put into it.  

F a t a l D e c o d e

Tipsy Genius

6,950 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Tycoon 200

HoujunRi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:27 pm
Nice, soft tones and good use of complimentary colors. I especially like the shading on the girls' hair -- it looks like there are multiple layers to it.

I would stress that darker shading can add depth to clothing, etc. Although for the skin and hair (unless it's a moody piece) you may want to leave your coloring technique as-is. This will make the skin appear to glow, and it will remain looking healthy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:29 pm
Woah... this thread's still alive?

Well, thanks for the critique! And I've updated the site with some minor drawings, so you can go check them out too if you want to.  

Rashoumon

Rashoumon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:37 pm
Well, since this thread seems to be managing to stay afloat, how about you check out one of my more recent works?

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/51257029/  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:34 pm
I think that they are good ideas for game characters. 3nodding  

Bleu_Fyre

350 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100

Cat_Burn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:02 am
Looks very good, i could see these characters being on television some day! blaugh  
The Anime Art Academy

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games