Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Sword of Truth Guild, For Terry Goodkind Fans!

Back to Guilds

"Choose, then. With us or not. But choose this day for all time." 

Tags: truth, sword, richard, series, goodkind 

Reply -~- Aydindril -~- We welcome our new sister affiliate, A World Divided!
Big plot holes in Faith of the Fallen?? o_x Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

x.Marsh[mel]low.x

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:42 am
I was just reading through Faith of the Fallen for the second time (eh, the habbits of an excelling English student) critically, and I noticed... there are GAPING plot holes in the whole conflict concerning Nicci and Kahlan. When they're linked by the maternity spell.

The most obvious, and biggest, example is when Kahlan goes down into the Old World, and into the same city as Richard, and Nicci doesn't know about it.

O_o

Didn't she say "if you follow, I will know, and you will die", or something along those lines? And she warned Richard many times over that if someone was sent to follow, even at a distance, she would know, and Kahlan would die? O_o I just dont get it. And then she was so CLOSE to Nicci and to be experiencing such emotions... WOULDNT SHE NOTICE?!

Ugh.

And then there's times where Kahlan gets hurt and exhausted, and it dosent tell on Nicci, and vice versa. >.< it chewed at me the whole way through.

And there were a few other plot holes as far as I was concerned, with Nicci being so close to the Emporer's palace, and therefore there would BOUND to be military officials there, and if she was "Jagang's favorite" or whatever, the "Queen Slave"... wouldn't the officials/soldiers NOTICE?! Dx

I dunno. It's been one of the more irritating books for me to read through critically. Most pass with almost-ease, but this one bugged me.

And also... NOTHING HAPPENED. The thing went around in a complete circle, and you could have just done WITHOUT the whole journey, I think. It was probably a time killer, for an author's block but... is anyone else troubled/annoyed by this one book?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:03 pm
Well he wanted to have Nicci as a main "Good" character and the only way he could have done that was to leave those plot holes.

I mean if she had acted upon the bond and did something to Kahlan, or worse killed her, she would have been killed by richard, it just wouldnt have worked out if she did follow her rules of engagement exactly.

So yea, it was a long hard book with very little good parts in it except for a few but i think that for the story to progress there had to be slow points, etc.  

Platinum_Behemoth252
Vice Captain

Phanari

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:17 pm
Once again I find myself agreeing with Platinum. Nicci did what she did because the author did not wish to kill her yet.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:06 am
I know, but there's ways to fill up the plots holes x_x

Plot holes are never good things in the books. it could have been manipulated, or explained, and I dunno. It's been eating at me.

x.Marsh[mel]low.x

Phanari

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:03 pm
x.Marsh[mel]low.x
I know, but there's ways to fill up the plots holes x_x

Plot holes are never good things in the books. it could have been manipulated, or explained, and I dunno. It's been eating at me.

Don't let it. This wasn't a very bad plot hole. It's one that most fans either don't notice or don't care.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:58 am
I'm around a third of the way through faith of the fallen, and I agree, I'm not liking this book. >.<  

Taro Momiji
Crew

Dapper Member

Phanari

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:43 am
It's a nessessary evil.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:54 am
Yup.

I ish still trying to piece together how all six of the main heroes of my story are going to join up. See, the main charcter, Galen Kiuchenathus Loiren, seems to be near-unstoppable in power and magic and whatnot, but he's gullible, sweet-nurtured, easilly distracted... I don't know if that'd equalize his power, but I'd like to know what people think. ^^;  

Taro Momiji
Crew

Dapper Member

Phanari

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:20 pm
That's pretty cool. I have a character, Aione, she's complex kinda. See, she has Merlyn's magic and was taught by the great wizard Merlyn herself. Only for ten years, of course. Then he was murdered by Aione's mother (his wife) and so though her magic is intensly powerful, she is very clumsy with it since she never completed her training.

Also, she's got a dark side to her. Another person named Falcon rests inside of her vessel, longing to come out. Whenever Falcon is called, all she wants is blood, and will follow the orders of anyone who gives her gold to quench her thirst.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:19 pm
basic split personality, I sees it lots. n.n

Me wants Kaz! (The Warduke is his title, he's a Slayer of Gods n.n)  

Taro Momiji
Crew

Dapper Member

Phanari

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:55 pm
It's not a split personality. It's another part of her that she has control over but never utilizes said control.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:24 pm
o.o 'kay. People might see that as split personality though. ^^;  

Taro Momiji
Crew

Dapper Member

Phanari

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:26 pm
I"m bipolar. But in remission!!!!!!!!  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:09 pm
Good points, good points. The plot holes are definitely there and I won't argue anything you say about them. Well, accept MAYBE the one about Nicci being "Queen Slave" and obviously recognizable because of it. the only argument I pose to that is that the Imperial Army is vast and it isn't possible that every person has seen Nicci and would recognize her right off, especially without a ring through her lip ((I think I remember her getting rid of it? It's been a year. If I'm wrong you may smite me in some way. 8D )). Though, I guess in all the time she spent there SOMEONE might have seen her, so don't take that argument too seriously.

However, I do not think this book was pointless. For one thing, there is the mentioned fact that Nicci needed to be converted to the side of the "good" guys, but besides that, the whole revolt in Altur'Rang is important, the killing of Brother Nareev, the guy I can't remember enlisting in the Imperial Order and killing Warren without it seeming entirely pointless((Which was still a bit of a stretch of coincidence for my taste, not to mention I loved Warren. ;-; )), Cara becoming someone who won't hesitate anymore ((And a chance to have her come out of a house stark naked. 8D )), showing the beauty of life to those who live in Jagang's own capitol, showing the way those under the deluded teachings of the Imperial Order live, and more.

Well, all that and a reason for Richard to leave his vacation spot and to cross paths with Jennsen, I suppose.

I'm probably only defending this book because it's my second favorite in the series, Stone of Tears beating it for first even though all of the books are pretty high up there and hard to line up as favorites.

[.Notebook_Paper.]

Devout Gaian

8,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Tycoon 200

demondude_215

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:38 pm
mbye she waz just threneing him  
-~- Aydindril -~- We welcome our new sister affiliate, A World Divided!

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games