Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Back to Guilds

Dedicated to bringing Chinese and friends from all over the world together. 

Tags: China, Chinese, friendship, Culture 

Reply *~ International Chinese Unite ~*
Chinese folk music?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Shokai

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:21 pm
I know this would probably be annoying or whatsoever coming from a non-chinese but anyone here like or have an appreciation for Chinese folk music? Everytime I hear it, it fills my heart with a warm somewhat nostalgic feeling usually warm and sometimes yet with sorrow. (cant describe it).

I dont talk about this with my Chinese friends as they find it annoying and boring sometimes so forgive me if you do as well but I have deep appreciation (sp?) for this type of music and folk/traditional music from parts of the world.

I am a really big fan of Chinese instruments such as Dizi, erhu, pipa ( heart ), sheng, guzheng, and Qin, etc. My friend who believes in reincarnation tells me that he swears I could have been Chinese in a past life 4laugh

Anyone here have experiences with this type of music?  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:26 pm
I know a couple friends (back in China) who can play them. blaugh
We used to have a school-organized orchestra in elementary school. wink  

Legendary_ONE

Gracious_Angel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:56 am
I'm always interested in listening to chinese folk music whee , whenever its played on the television.. xp  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:16 pm
I love listening to Chinese instruments; I don't know how to say it in Chinese; but the Koto [Japanese] is one of my favorites; I'd love to learn how to play it 3nodding

hip2b^2

Shokai

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:46 pm
Yasuragi-chan
I love listening to Chinese instruments; I don't know how to say it in Chinese; but the Koto [Japanese] is one of my favorites; I'd love to learn how to play it 3nodding
The Chinese counterpart of the koto is the Guzheng (I think..well it resembles a koto)..I wish I could learn to play all these instruments.

When I hear the yang qin (Chinese hammered dulcimer) it reminds of morning sunrise. What I like about Chinese traditional music is that it is so atmospheric.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:05 am
Could someone name some classical composers or works of Chinese music?.. The only one I have is the Butterfly lovers, and I'd like to get more!

I love oriental music but it's hard to find anything withoug knowing what to look for. I asked a colleague at work to name some local music and all she gave me was "Beyond". stare

Don't get me wrong, Beyond rocks but it wasn't quite what I was looking for. rolleyes  

Beixuelong

Shokai

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:54 pm
Beixuelong
Could someone name some classical composers or works of Chinese music?.. The only one I have is the Butterfly lovers, and I'd like to get more!

I love oriental music but it's hard to find anything withoug knowing what to look for. I asked a colleague at work to name some local music and all she gave me was "Beyond". stare

Don't get me wrong, Beyond rocks but it wasn't quite what I was looking for. rolleyes
Hi perhaps you should try ARC music. Theyre located in the UK but they may have branches in certain parts of the world. If you live in the USA, theyre located in Florida...www.arcmusic.co.uk
They have a huge collection of world folk music, and a vast collection of Chinese folk music.
The only person I can think of is Chen Dacan, who works on the erhu.

oh, and I am by no means advertising theyre site or company. I only posted it just for your info. kuai le?

PS: I typed this all on my friends Wii as of right now and it is fun. XD  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:12 pm
Shokai
Hi perhaps you should try ARC music. Theyre located in the UK but they may have branches in certain parts of the world. If you live in the USA, theyre located in Florida...www.arcmusic.co.uk
They have a huge collection of world folk music, and a vast collection of Chinese folk music.

oh, and I am by no means advertising theyre site or company. I only posted it just for your info. kuai le?

Thanks. smile
I'll have a look at those and see if I can find something that raises interest.

Wii?.. Gotta get me one of those! xd  

Beixuelong

[.Mihiko-chan.]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:02 pm
i'm not really a big fan of any kind of folk music..  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:13 pm
Beixuelong
Shokai

Thanks. smile
I'll have a look at those and see if I can find something that raises interest.

Wii?.. Gotta get me one of those! xd

That reminds me of this flash movie I saw:

Warning: mild violence  

Legendary_ONE

Tornrosa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:00 am
I dont like the chinese folk music. But i love the chinese instruments. i love to listen to them. It makes one feel. Calm.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:44 pm
Shokai
Yasuragi-chan
The Chinese counterpart of the koto is the Guzheng (I think..well it resembles a koto)..I wish I could learn to play all these instruments.

When I hear the yang qin (Chinese hammered dulcimer) it reminds of morning sunrise. What I like about Chinese traditional music is that it is so atmospheric.

Yeah mrgreen Deffinatly.. I never really know what to search for; So I usually just search for music from video games; Someone recommended music from games like "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" and "Dynasty Warriors" all based in China. I downloaded a few [at this site ur only allowed 2 each day and they have ALOT!!], from Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI; it's not bad! I really like it!! 3nodding

hip2b^2

Xiao_Hoa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:22 pm
Yasuragi-chan

i would like to learn too! heart  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:42 pm
hummm i think i know what you are talking about....
when i first came 2 canada, i remember hearing some street performer playing erhu near the subway station in chinatown...and it really made me feel "homesick" somehow... sad  

the fire within ice

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff