Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Back to Guilds

Dedicated to bringing Chinese and friends from all over the world together. 

Tags: China, Chinese, friendship, Culture 

Reply *~ International Chinese Unite ~*
Misconceptions ppl say a/b Asians--that piss you off... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Daydream Silhouette

Married Husband

9,750 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:21 pm
Heh, I thought that this would be an interesting topic to talk about...

The misconception I think I came across one time was:

'Are you Buddist?'

No. I'm not. Do I have to be or something?

Oy...

xD  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:20 am
Well, I'm not the best one to say anything since I'm not even asian.
Yet, I've been studying Chinese and asian history/culture and all that a lot, plus I work in Hong Kong and meet the people all the time.

And the thing that pisses me off the most are the books about Chinese etiquet and behavior. I mean, reading those will give a picture that Chinese are from another planet!! It seems all the cultural features are exaggerated to a point that is beyond reality. In truth, cultural differenses don't really play a big role between interpersonal relations. Of course they exist, but it's nothing that can't be dealt with, with a little common sense.

Anyway, that was one of cornerstones I had for my final thesis at my university. Don't over-estimate the impact of cultural gap. whee  

Beixuelong

Niphz
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:32 pm
Erm.. I hate the 'Chinese people are all nerds'. I mean, I hate labelling generally, but that's another debate; I just can't stand this blatant and degrading generalisation and I especially hate the fact that being hard-working is seen to be a negative thing and I hate it how Chinese people are all seen to be that stereotype as if they can be no other way. It's upbringing, and that is ALL - it just happens that our culture demands we work for something and receive what we deserve. And somehow other people think it's an excuse for them to be less good than us at something, because 'oh she's Chinese, it's different'. We're human and we have to learn just like everyone else.

It also annoys me because I'm one of the laziest people I know. xDD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:43 pm
Beixuelong
In truth, cultural differenses don't really play a big role between interpersonal relations. Of course they exist, but it's nothing that can't be dealt with, with a little common sense.

That is quite true. wink  

Legendary_ONE

[Bab! Co.]

7,250 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:46 pm
People always ask me if I'm buddist or no... stare I'm not, I'm Christian...lol...  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:41 pm
They always ask if I know kung fu, lol, and no I don't, but I can give a good kick.  

Xiao_Hoa

a polka dot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:55 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

When they ask whether I'm Chinese or Japanese. I am actually Chinese, but seriously, are those the only countries in the huge continent of Asia they know of? rolleyes I blame it on the American education system. neutral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:58 pm
ze noodle.

When they ask whether I'm Chinese or Japanese. I am actually Chinese, but seriously, are those the only countries in the huge continent of Asia they know of? rolleyes I blame it on the American education system. neutral

Ha, people always ask if I'm either Korean, Mexican, or PR, I guess it's depends what I do to my hair.  

Xiao_Hoa

a polka dot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:01 pm

Heh, the people in my school probably think North and South Korea are states. >>;;

I was mistaken for Mexican once though. xD;;

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:05 pm
ze noodle.

Heh, the people in my school probably think North and South Korea are states. >>;;

Yep that sounds about right, lol. I'm actually vietnamese, and when I tell people that they don't really realize that vietnamese come from vietnam, there like where do they come from.

Same with my husband, when I told my friend that He was from Taiwan, he was like, " what is that like Tai and vietnamese put together."

Crazy I tell ya.  

Xiao_Hoa

[Bab! Co.]

7,250 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:42 pm
-reads posts- rofl  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:17 pm
@ze noodle.
Yes I agree: When they only ask if I'm either Chinese or Japanese. And when they assume that I'm Japanese and I say I'm Chinese and they actually think it's right to say "there's no difference" I mean if there wasn't, why did you ask in the first place?? neutral Really.. The ignorance of people.
I've been mistaken as Japanese and First Nations
[I always assume people can tell the difference from japanese and chinese names.. But I guess since I watch anime and read manga I can]

hip2b^2

blossoming-angel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:34 pm
Niphz
Erm.. I hate the 'Chinese people are all nerds'. I mean, I hate labelling generally, but that's another debate; I just can't stand this blatant and degrading generalisation and I especially hate the fact that being hard-working is seen to be a negative thing and I hate it how Chinese people are all seen to be that stereotype as if they can be no other way. It's upbringing, and that is ALL - it just happens that our culture demands we work for something and receive what we deserve. And somehow other people think it's an excuse for them to be less good than us at something, because 'oh she's Chinese, it's different'. We're human and we have to learn just like everyone else.

that happens all the time.. but over hear.. indians are more diligent workers than the chinese so umm.. they get that more often than the chinese tho.. but thats just because theres no chinese in my year level so yeah.. and where i live its "asians are nerds" not just the chinese.. >.<;;  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:38 pm
blossoming_angel
Niphz

that happens all the time.. but over hear.. indians are more diligent workers than the chinese so umm.. they get that more often than the chinese tho.. but thats just because theres no chinese in my year level so yeah.. and where i live its "asians are nerds" not just the chinese.. >.<;;

Yeah, though, I don't mind "asians are all smart" because it's kind of not offensive, instead, its godo to be smart...unlike those people without brains...  

[Bab! Co.]

7,250 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Niphz
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:37 am
Wait.. people mistake you for Mexican?! What? How..? sweatdrop

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items