Punk
  Lolita
  Other
  None of the above
  None at all
View Results

boconnotto

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:53 pm
I recently have been having a hard time in another guild I'm in because of the rigid opinions that some of the other members have. They're very strict about style and often label people by their clothing, using fashion "genres" as derogatory terms. For example, there's been lots of "oh, those stupid little preppy chicks!" comments flying around, along with "I don't want this style to become the next goth or emo-- they suck", etc.

Am I alone in thinking that this behavior is silly?
Do you label yourself or others by the clothing that they wear?
-- if so, what label do you consider yourself to fall under?
-- does it affect your daily behavior?
Do you treat someone differently because of their clothing?
-- positively or negatively?
-- how do you feel when someone does the same thing to you?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:30 pm
I dont have a label, except gamer sometimes, im just me.  

black_knightj

Light of Nuitari
Crew

Tricky Reveler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:16 pm
Put me to sleep, evil angel...

Possibly I'm a closet punk.

More realisticly, I'm just a rocker.

Mainstream at work, though, since that's part of the job desc.

...Open your wings, evil angel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:21 pm
I definitely do NOT like the whole labeling idea. It's just foolish because no one fits neatly into one category or another. People don't work that way. Personalities are too complex to try to fit them into specific, rigidly upheld social categories.  

froggerbabie

Polyphonic Twilight

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:42 am
I don't know like labeling, but I do do it sometimes (if someone always refers to themselves as straight edge, or goth, or whatever, then I might call them that too.)

Like hese certain girls in my class, who just one day decided to "become emo" which basically means that since then they always wear stripes, eyeliner & all got their bangs cut at an angle rolleyes
I don't mind the "emo fashion" at all, I kind of like it actually, but I'm not going to completely change who I am to be part of it.

What I hate, is how sometimes I feel like I have to avoid certain clothes. I know it shouldn't bother me, but sometimes there'll be something I like that's typical of a certain label so then I don't get it because I don't want people to think I'm trying to be part of that group sweatdrop

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:23 am
froggerbabie
I definitely do NOT like the whole labeling idea. It's just foolish because no one fits neatly into one category or another. People don't work that way. Personalities are too complex to try to fit them into specific, rigidly upheld social categories.

That's not necessarily true. There are people who change everything about themselves so that they can fit into a certain group, clique, label, what have you. Believe me, I know people who have done it. I've done it to an extent, but not so hardcore as some people do.

There are some people that just want to be in on a label.

Emo kids, for example, don't start out emo. They see some kid with his hair all up in his face and eyeliner on, rocking the gay-goth look, and think, "Oh that's cool. I wanna be like that." Next thing you know they're cutting themselves in the bathroom 'cause they think it's cool, not because they have something really wrong with them.

stare

I don't like that people tend to embrace labels, but they do. It's part of life. Fitting in means getting rid of who you really are sometimes, and people pay that price every day.

Light of Nuitari
Crew

Tricky Reveler

Valoheart

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:07 am
People who label others by the clothes they wear and not by the person they are are just looking for a place to belong thamselves. They find it hard to realate to others unless they have something in common, not realizing that the mere fact they are on the same website as all these other people gives them somthing in common. They are just looking for a means to make others feel insignificant. Or I could just be rambling!! LOL!!! blaugh  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:39 am
I don't label others, because I don't want people to do that to me...but it happens -_____-;;  

toffee.MiLKE

froggerbabie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:30 am
Light of Nuitari
froggerbabie

That's not necessarily true. There are people who change everything about themselves so that they can fit into a certain group, clique, label, what have you. Believe me, I know people who have done it. I've done it to an extent, but not so hardcore as some people do.

There are some people that just want to be in on a label.

Emo kids, for example, don't start out emo. They see some kid with his hair all up in his face and eyeliner on, rocking the gay-goth look, and think, "Oh that's cool. I wanna be like that." Next thing you know they're cutting themselves in the bathroom 'cause they think it's cool, not because they have something really wrong with them.

stare

I don't like that people tend to embrace labels, but they do. It's part of life. Fitting in means getting rid of who you really are sometimes, and people pay that price every day.

Sorry, hun... but you misunderstood. I'm not saying that people don't squeeze themselves into these molds just because they think it's cool.. Because they do, more and more everyday. I just wish there was a way to break down the classification of one certain "look" meaning you're a certain "type" of person. Example: "They dress emo, so they must be suicidal and depressed." Not always true...some people just happen to like to dress that way. That's it. Nothing more.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:48 am
I'd describe myself as Alternative.  

Jesm

6,350 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
The Polls Project

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers