Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Sailor Moon Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for those who love Sailor Moon. (Big Fourum RP needs more players). 

Tags: Sailor moon, Moon, Roleplay, Anime, Manga 

Reply Home
New to Role-Playing

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

It's a poll.
  [gold]
View Results

Magical Girl BunnyWinx

Angelic Spirit

9,675 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:01 pm
I told myself I wouldn't get into RPing on Gaia, but these Sailor Moon RPs have interested me.

So, I'd like to hop in on the RPing scene but, in complete honesty, I don't know how.

I have a basic concept for a "senshi" character that I could RP as, but I have difficulty knowing how to implement her into existing storylines or how, exactly, interaction between the participants is supposed to take place.

Maybe it's because I've played Dungeon's & Dragons for most of my life, and I'm overthinking the whole thing...

Anyway, I think I have a neat idea for an RP... but I'm not sure how to present it... and I don't know how to gather interest in it...

Any of you RP pros have some tips for me?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:04 pm
Don't worry too much about it. It's like writing a novel or your D and D game play minus the dice.

The only rules that -I- personally stick to on SailorMoon RPGS is to never make a Mary Sue. Or..well Make her/him less of a Marysue.

Other than that, there's nothing much I can say that differs from the normal.  

Luamervara
Crew

Demonic Immortal

27,550 Points
  • Haunted Haute Couture: Cute 200
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
  • Are You Jelly? 500

Magical Girl BunnyWinx

Angelic Spirit

9,675 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:09 pm
[noob question]

What's a Mary Sue? gonk

[/noob question]  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:34 pm
You remember Mary Poppins? Perfect in every way.

That's a Mary/Gary- Stu.

It's a fan made character that pretty much overshadows the original characters.

Let us go to Wiki for the definition:
Quote:

Mary Sue (sometimes shortened simply to Sue) is a pejorative term for a fictional character who is portrayed in an overly idealized way and lacks noteworthy flaws, or has unreasonably romanticized flaws. Characters labeled Mary Sues, as well as the stories they appear in, are generally seen as wish-fulfillment fantasies of the author.

The term originated in criticism of fan fiction. It usually refers to characters created by the (fan) author of the work, but can also be used in reference to characters from the original canon source who are characterized in a way perceived as Sue-like. Many original characters in play-by-post gaming are also perceived as Mary Sues (or the male equivalent).

Mary Sue may be used to describe a character of any gender, but male Mary Sues may also be called "Marty Stus," "Gary Stus," "Gary Sues", or similar names. Authors of such characters (of either sex) are sometimes referred to as Suethors, a portmanteau of Sue and author.

While characters are usually unintentionally written as Mary Sues, some authors deliberately create Mary Sues as a form of parody.

And here's the rest of the entry for it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Sue

however! D: don't be daunted by it. As long as your character has weaknesses faults with some strengths and such, you're -fine-.  

Luamervara
Crew

Demonic Immortal

27,550 Points
  • Are You Jelly? 500

Magical Girl BunnyWinx

Angelic Spirit

9,675 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:37 pm
Ah, I understand. I didn't know there was a name for it... Now I know how to refer to all those original characters that I come across in every single bad fanfiction I've ever read.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:43 pm
It mostly happens with the young ones that are just starting out. Or when someone just starts in another fandom.

It's acutally quite amusing really. I remember some of the ones I've done myself that are somewhat between Anti-Sue/Mary-sue. Though the story -did- evovle around her only...<<;;  

Luamervara
Crew

Demonic Immortal

27,550 Points
  • Are You Jelly? 500

Syndrama

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:55 pm
A Mary Sue Fan character is a character that basically makes it pointless to include the canonical characters, because she/he is better than all of them or is a combination of them into one person. The most common Mary Sue type in Sailor Moon fanworks is 'Sailor Earth' or any character who is Serenity/Endymion's sister/brother. If the character replaces a senshi character in a relationship or in their position in the group, or just maeks every single member of the senshi group obsolete, they're Mary Sue and no fun to play with. As an exception, if played off of well by the other characters, a Mary Sue makes a good villain.

Everyone's gotta start somewhere, so don't be nervous abot jumping in, just try your best and find a roleplay with an understanding game master who'll help you when you get lost.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:02 pm
Yes, okay, I completely understand the term now. Please. <_<;

I still don't know how to get a decent RP started. I need advice. gonk

Thank you extremely much, though, to those who have given me advice.
I shall take it to heart. heart <- that one right there  

Magical Girl BunnyWinx

Angelic Spirit

9,675 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
Home

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers